News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Game Idea.

Started by Howl, December 11, 2009, 10:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howl

well.. my friends and i .. slightly gave up on the Fantasy game that we were working on before... possibly in the future we will go back to it.. but we came up with a newgame. It could involve any possible subject you could think of History,Events, Tv shows cartoons, people,, anything,. You play by rolling two 6 sided die per turn. one for your recruiting cost and one for your ability cost. The ability cost is to play cards other than Personalities ( characters) and the ability cost roll is for playing Events interrupt and card abilities. so a personality would have a something like this [1/-/-/4/-/6] this would mean you would have to roll a 1/4/ or 6 in order to play this card. idk it sounded fun.. and were making templates for it now juss to test it out . reply to this if any suggestions. Thank You

Ripplez

Howl

thats the whole fun of it.. here is a sample card.. these arent the templates im using but if u like them then maybe i will ..

[attachment deleted by admin due to disk space availablility]

Ripplez

how will you formulate any strategy if the individual pieces arent certain? especially since it sounds like you only have one shot at it. If your opponent has the lead, yuo hold Link in your hand and hed turn the tide around in your favour, you roll, it fails, youve pretty much have lost your chance at turning it around AND your opponent can still do whatever he wants with the advantage he has

maybe if you fail to summon something, you get an alternate option to open up?

Howl

well i was gunna put in a payment mechanic but that would eliminate the factor of the  luck and recruit roll.. but you should have more than just link in your deck. and there wil be cards that say all xxxxx you control(in hand and out) gain
[x/x/x/x/x/x] x meaning any number that it would include. and i guess i could put in as a payment metheod you could sarifice cards in pla y for it to gain.. how do i explain . lets say i have an an x/x link in play. link has [1\-\-\-\-\6] and lets say i want to play ganondorf. ganondorf would have lets say [-\2\3\-\-\6]. i could sac link in play for ganondorf to get [1\2\3\-\-\6]. that could ppossibly solve that problem. or i could put in a number next to them for ex. [x\x\x\x\x\x] (1) the 1 would be how many card you would have to sac in order to play instead of rolling.

Howl

here is the original prtotype

Ripplez

i understood. but how would it fix the situation i mentioned above?

i would suggest taking a look at yugiohs spin off, dungeon dice monsters. perhaps theres something to be gleaned from there that could help?

Alastair

Luck to me in a CCG/TCG is just drawing the card you need in the first place at a time when it would benefit you. There's really no good reason that I can see for adding in another "luck" mechanic in weither or not you can even play the card. The game would really degenerate into a dice war pretty quick I think.

However there is some potential with the idea. I do sorta like the idea of variable resources available to the player. Perhaps if there were cards to modify that dice roll (and perhaps modify your opponent's roll as well). For example something like:

Mana Stone (Cost: Destroy 1 permanent under your control and 2 random cards from hand)
Text: While Mana Stone is in play you may add 1 or 2 (once per turn) to any resource roll you are required to make.

Mana Leech (Cost: Destroy 2 permanents under your control and 1 random card from hand)
Text: While Mana Leech is in play you may subtract 1 or 2 (once per turn) from any resource roll your opponent makes.

Likewise there should be other ways to modify the roll, those are just two examples I could think of off the top of my head.

Cyrus

or maybe a rule as simple as "discard a card from your hand: modify your current recruit roll by plus or minus 1"

so as long as you have decently balanced cards in your deck in terms of their recruit number, you should always be able to pull something out once a turn. just a thought

Ripplez

my sugestion would be wildly different from the posts up above -

use more than 1 die for any given roll. use 2/3 dice. at the start of your turn/for every roll you take, roll your dice and then you can opt to remove a die to 'store' later.
then at any point where you roll for a value, you can add the value stored on the die as well as re-add that die to your rolls

for eg. you need to roll 1 or 6 for Link. you roll two dice for Link and get 2 and 6. you store away the 2 and use the 6 to summon Link. then you use your 1 remaining die to try and play other cards. when its time to summon ganondorf, where you need a 2, 3 or 6, you take the stored die and use the 2 value to summon ganondorf right away and re-add the die with your old die

this has the effect you running a greater risk with your rolls if you decide to store a value since you remove one die from your pool every time you need to roll. the benefit is that you can plan with this to some extent or at least cover your bases

thats my suggestion at any rate. sorry

reelhotgames

Or have a simple mechanic such as the discard from hand to roll another die. So you can hedge your chances but luck is still a factor, you also lose cards in the process if it's that important.

Tokimo

I actually find the roll mechanic interesting and amusing. I think either you should have a mechanic for being able to change (+/- 1) the result (say by discarding a card) or all of the rolls requirements should be a single number (potentially still allowing effects to add or remove from rolls). 1 is an autocast, 6 is a one is six cast, 7 is something you can only cast with roll boosting.

I don't think luck is a problem in CCGs. When I'm pinned down by an opponent I often draw my next card thinking "If this is a CARDX, I win, otherwise I lose next turn". The additional luck will make some avoid the game, but some will enjoy the thrill. I don't tend to get excited about non-original universes personally.

The thing about this then becomes making sure you have a good mix of cheap cards that you can drop early and reliably, and then having some win condition cards that might take you a few turns to play.

Howl

all of these are great suggestions. i like the discard a card add +1or -1 to your original roll. and i really like the discard a card to re roll , but you could only use that once per turn so we would have to add a rule that says cards discarded for a reroll cannot use their graveyard effets or something like that. and yeah winning conditions could be ? i was thinking reach a specific Health like each player starts with 40 1st to reach 80  wins or first to reach 0 looses. but im up for any more suggestions.

Howl

here are some more examples. idk. but the goomba is a pretty easy to play card lol.. but its a goomba lol . oh and the goomba should not have the 1 in its card name ill have to edit that..

Howl

and to Ripplez reply i like that two. but that could cause way too much overpower for the first player  ganondorf and link on the same field like turn 1 would be way overpowered. but it is a good idea. i guess there could be cards with that effect instead of it being a rule.