I just posted a new version of Lackey, build date 05-04-11. Post bugs here.

Started by Trevor, May 04, 2011, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

I fixed some bugs mentioned about the last version.

Something I added in the previous version which I think I forgot to mention is the ability to post the same text in the chat log. If you type alt+arrow key up in the chat log, the log input field will be filled with the previous thing you posted.

Some new stuff is the ability to measure the table. Right click the Mark button to toggle if measurements are shown.
Another new thing is the ability to assign vectors to cards. These are arrows (with both distance and direction) that you can show on cards to indicate things like direction. Right click a card on the table to add/edit a vector. These 2 new things are implemented in order to facilitate table top miniatures games, but other games may find uses for them.

AdLit

Updated and tried my .png plugin with the same problems.  No worries.  I think I'll stick with jpg's until it's straightened out.  Thanks Trevor!

Trevor

Quote from: AdLit on May 04, 2011, 10:42:55 AM
Updated and tried my .png plugin with the same problems.  No worries.  I think I'll stick with jpg's until it's straightened out.  Thanks Trevor!
Send me the whole plugin that you think should be working. If you are doing things correctly, then I need to fix the bug. If you are making a mistake, I can identify it.

BuddyChrist

Gordon228

well trevor png and tif still do not work in the avatar section after updating witch if png is working should work.

AdLit

QuoteSend me the whole plugin that you think should be working. If you are doing things correctly, then I need to fix the bug. If you are making a mistake, I can identify it.

Hey Trevor, thanks for the help.  I'll e-mail you a link for the png plugin.

BuddyChrist

Still getting the "There was an error connecting to the server. Shucks." message

Do I have the right informations?

Server IP: 66.65.20.193
Port: 25711

Burst

Looks like revealing cards causes it to crash sometimes.  Just saw it reported on the server chat by someone else,  then about 30 seconds later it happened to me.  I haven't gotten it to reproduce though.  I did reveal to owner top 4

Burst

ah, saw somebody else has posted same thing in a different thread.  I did reproduce. It's not the reveal itself,  it's playing from the revealed cards

AdLit

Sent a link to your email Trevor, let me know if you have any issues downloading it.

Trevor

Quote from: AdLit on May 04, 2011, 02:02:07 PM
Sent a link to your email Trevor, let me know if you have any issues downloading it.
I tried that plugin and it seems to work fine. What do you think is not working exactly?
I want to resolve that, but...

You really shouldn't be using png for all those images. You get the same image quality with 30% of the file size. The plugin you uploaded is a whopping 522MB, and that's even rared! Just because you can use other image formats, 95% of the time you still should use jpg format. If you need a hand batch converting, I can help with that. Why did you decide to use png format? If its to preserve the rounded borders of the card, that's definitely not a good reason. First, I think the borders should be cropped, at least somewhat, to allow for more card image while taking up less space. (Again, let me know if you need a hand batch converting and cropping). Second, the size of the card image files is much larger than it needs to be.

A few notes of the plugin... Your bot.jpg should be a square, and it doesn't need to be as huge as yours. 200x200 is more than enough detail for how it is used in game, while yours is 673x540.
You should include the spawn token general function. Even if your game doesn't use it, it can come in handy to be able to spawn cards.

AdLit

QuoteI tried that plugin and it seems to work fine. What do you think is not working exactly?
I want to resolve that, but...

You really shouldn't be using png for all those images. You get the same image quality with 30% of the file size. The plugin you uploaded is a whopping 522MB, and that's even rared! Just because you can use other image formats, 95% of the time you still should use jpg format. If you need a hand batch converting, I can help with that. Why did you decide to use png format? If its to preserve the rounded borders of the card, that's definitely not a good reason. First, I think the borders should be cropped, at least somewhat, to allow for more card image while taking up less space. (Again, let me know if you need a hand batch converting and cropping). Second, the size of the card image files is much larger than it needs to be.

A few notes of the plugin... Your bot.jpg should be a square, and it doesn't need to be as huge as yours. 200x200 is more than enough detail for how it is used in game, while yours is 673x540.
You should include the spawn token general function. Even if your game doesn't use it, it can come in handy to be able to spawn cards

Thanks for your time and effort with this Trevor I appreciate it.  So, in order of what you raised...

- I was going with .png in an effort to have the rounded edges without the white corner borders, that was it.

- As for file size, when I started working on this, you had told me to go for 250x400 for the image size.  I can batch resize them no problem.  My .jpg version is 292mb with the same image size.  If you have a suggestion for a smaller size, let me know and I'll batch them.

- The bot image was something I kind of threw in and will resize it to 200x200.

- The borders for Munchkin really need to be kept in tact.  The issue is that different sets/boosters of Munchkin have different colored borders, and you need to be able to see this to know what set it is from.  Additionally, each game of Munchkin has door and treasure cards - sometimes the only differentiating feature between them is a thin line on the border.  Reducing the border size may inadvertently remove this differentiation. 

Let me know your suggestion regarding if I should change the image size, and I will re-send this to you as a jpg set.  Would you be able to host and add it to the autoupdate list??

Thanks again

-A

EDIT: After comparing my plugin to that of MTG, it looks like the MTG card images are actually larger than my Munchkin images, so I think I'll be ok as far as image sizes are concerned.  I still can't see my .png images in my version, so perhaps they're larger than my jpg's for some reason.  In any case, I'm going to email you a link for my JPG version.  Let me know what you think.

Also, Munchkin doesn't really have a need for spawned cards, just counters on very rare occasion, which are in.

Trevor

AdLit, when I said the images were big I meant in file size, not dimenions. You might want to have 2 versions: one with a width of 250 and one with a width of maybe 200. Some people might want a smaller version, and some might want a larger version. Its up to you.

AdLit

gotcha, no prob.  if i pack up a second set for you to host with smaller images do i need to upload to you the whole plugin again or just the general images folder?

Trevor

Quote from: AdLit on May 04, 2011, 04:48:06 PM
gotcha, no prob.  if i pack up a second set for you to host with smaller images do i need to upload to you the whole plugin again or just the general images folder?
Just the general images. All files are the same, except the high version will use the images from the high directory, and the other will use the images from the medium directory. Since this is off topic, make a new thread or PM or email me if you have more munchkin specific questions.