News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

New Card Game

Started by cap.tiny, May 12, 2011, 07:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cap.tiny

I am making a new card game and would like the cards to be semi-community designed (by this i mean i will put the costs-to-play on the cards). I would like card designers and testers. I am almost finished with the rules and design notes and will post when ready.

This is a "martial arts" fantasy style game, like mortal combat, avatar the last air bender, and so forth. I have played many tcg/ccgs over the past 15 years and have studied what successful games have and dont have. Though i am not looking to go "pro" with this but that is a nice dream.

any questions?

no... this is not a paying gig (sorry have had that question come up on other forums, and then no one wanted to help)

Trevor

Post sample cards. That will give people a good idea what you're talking about.

Dragoon

Either give us some preview, rules or sample cards and I will think about design.

cap.tiny

alright so i made this on the fly, but this is the artwork style for the game but not the card style. I am still working with the artist to get some stuff done. and an exert from the rules...

CARD TYPES
Personality Cards

Personality cards are cards that represent you as a fighter. All personality cards have a level, power up, draw cost, health and some have effects (see attack/defense section). Personality cards over level one also have Costs (see attack/defense section) to play.

Level
The level of the personality cards tells you what level the personality is at. Every game starts with a level 1 personality card on the field.

Power Up
The power up of a personality card shows how much power and what kind of power the personality is getting. Power is use to play cards and use effects and abilities.

Draw Cost
The draw cost tells you how much power it takes the personality to draw more cards.

Sub-type
Sub-types on the personality cards are there to match the different levels of personalities.

Attack/Defense cards

Attack and defense cards are the cards you use to combat your opponent(s). These cards have costs and effects on them.

Costs
The cost of the card tells you how much the card costs. You must pay the power of the same type as the card states.

Effects
When a card has an effect when you play it or a card in play has an effect follow the instructions the best you can.

Spell Cards

Spell cards have costs and effects (see attack/defense section). You may play spell cards anytime it is specified that you can play them. When played and after you perform the effect then you immediately discard it.

Item Cards

Item cards have costs and effects (see attack/defense section). You may play item cards during the Ready Phase and they stay on the table.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Dragoon

Why different level personalities?

Try to seperate the different stats please on the card please. Also, Power Up doesn't sound good for resource collection. It reminds me of the personality getting stornger.

cap.tiny

Quote from: Dragoon on May 13, 2011, 02:44:29 PM
Why different level personalities?

Try to seperate the different stats please on the card please. Also, Power Up doesn't sound good for resource collection. It reminds me of the personality getting stornger.

Different levels with the personalities is because through the game you can make the personality stronger with each higher level personality you can draw.

though wont really be able to test how strong the personalities are until i actually start test playing

as for separating the stats, i said this was not the final card look it is just something i threw together. If anybody would like to contribute to this phase of creation you are more than welcome. (any contribution to the game I will give thanks in the final product with the name given)

"Power Up", if a better name can be given that would be great.

In this world, and i am making an table top RPG for this too, "powers and magic" come from using your elemental power from within. all have the potential to master all the elements but this is extremely difficult with out proper teaching, so schools were formed to teach this. Even with teaching it exponentially harder to control a secondary or even a third element. if a better name for the resource is suggested it will be considered.

In a since the personality is getting stronger, a.k.a. being able to play better spells, items, combat cards, or even its next level.

any other Qs or comments? this is getting me excited  ;D

Dragoon

Either give your Personalities a "level up" ability or make personalities go into a different deck. It's frustrating to leave such an important thing to fate.

I have to refer to Trevor's Magnificent ccg design guide: http://lackeyccg.com/ccgdesign.html

If you have any quastions about design, feel free to ask.

cap.tiny

Quote from: Dragoon on May 14, 2011, 12:08:56 PM
Either give your Personalities a "level up" ability or make personalities go into a different deck. It's frustrating to leave such an important thing to fate.

I have to refer to Trevor's Magnificent ccg design guide: http://lackeyccg.com/ccgdesign.html

If you have any quastions about design, feel free to ask.

Well here is the theory about how I am doing the different levels for the personalities. Each level of personality isn't going to be greatly more powerful than the last. It wont even be totally needed to have the the higher levels in your deck, though a good idea. it will be possible, though rare and hard to do, that a level 1 can hold its own against a level 3. There will also be different "versions" of the masters at different levels, so game play strategy could change slightly during play with the different levels. Besides I think the draw power of the game compensates the chance a little bit of finding the next level. and even if you did discard a level that you need when your deck is gone you reshuffle your discard pile to replace your deck.

should i post the full rules of the game to give you a better understanding? though the "behind the scenes" stuff is still being worked on, like the algorithm for card costs...

Dragoon

My point still stands. It's EXTREMELY annoying to need a card and have to depend on chance to get it. This is because resources (that chi/chakra/gi/stuff) are tied to your personality to gain.

If you are going for different versions of personalities, you can consider to go a bit magi nation style (it reminds me a bit of it) and have each player a pile of personalities that must be defeated in any order.

Please post your rules. I need a better understanding of the game.

cap.tiny

ok i see your point, how bout just stacking the personalities on each other (like in the DBZCCG) then every time get a hit (no matter how much damage but at least 1) on your opponent it adds to some kind of pool and once the pool gets to a certain point you may go to your next level or even switch technique... hmmmmmm.... the different versions of the personalities represents which technique the personality is using but they are all the same person.. but here is the rules thus far

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Ripplez

to completely damn my own point, you could do what maple story tcg did and make every card you can play capable of levelling up your character. you could have each card give +1 EXP and at 3 EXP or something, your personality levels up

that way less random but your mechanic is still in the game

Dragoon

I agree with ripplez, using any card for exp is much more fun, and removes issues I had at start with the different personalities.

Maple Story is a decent tcg. It has some good idea's Too bad it's too kiddy -_-

cap.tiny

ah ok... thats something to think about...