News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Plugin finder layout

Started by Picks-at-Flies, May 14, 2011, 08:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picks-at-Flies

I like your updates a lot, but there's a couple of things that could still be improved:

- Find plugins with custom plugin finder:  surely if you aren't using the standard plugin finder, you will use the Install or Update from URL option?  I don't think this button will confuse people for long though so it's a minor point, but it would mean you could rename the first button "Update plugin finder".
- If Pluginfinder is downloaded automatically be default, it doesn't need to be above the box.  New user will automatically gravitate to the first option.  Could the update plugin finder button(s) be placed below the box?
- Download all missing card images:  this is my bigger issue.  The problem is at the moment that it is placed with the plugin finder but in fact this relates to the currently loaded plugin.  Could it be placed up the top next to the 'Current Plugin' info?

Sorry if I'm being fussy  :-X

AdLit

Quote- Find plugins with custom plugin finder:  surely if you aren't using the standard plugin finder, you will use the Install or Update from URL option?  I don't think this button will confuse people for long though so it's a minor point, but it would mean you could rename the first button "Update plugin finder".

To be honest I'm not sure what this button does - in other words, my assumption was that if you have a link on the clipboard and click on it, it will update your plugin dropdown/popup list with the new link moving forward, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Any ideas?

Picks-at-Flies

I'm pretty certain it should let you use a custom plugin finder.  It's just having multiples seems wrong on several levels (not least because why would you have multiple central points for downloading plugins?).

AdLit

Perhaps its so you can take the main lackey plugin index and add to it other links of perhaps less widely distributed/unofficial/beta testing plugins you know of?

Trevor

Quote from: Picks-at-Flies on May 14, 2011, 08:50:31 AM
I like your updates a lot, but there's a couple of things that could still be improved:

- Find plugins with custom plugin finder:  surely if you aren't using the standard plugin finder, you will use the Install or Update from URL option?  I don't think this button will confuse people for long though so it's a minor point, but it would mean you could rename the first button "Update plugin finder".
- If Pluginfinder is downloaded automatically be default, it doesn't need to be above the box.  New user will automatically gravitate to the first option.  Could the update plugin finder button(s) be placed below the box?
- Download all missing card images:  this is my bigger issue.  The problem is at the moment that it is placed with the plugin finder but in fact this relates to the currently loaded plugin.  Could it be placed up the top next to the 'Current Plugin' info?

Sorry if I'm being fussy  :-X
A plugin finder is a list of plugins and the associated autoupdate URLs from which to install/update them. Internally, installing a plugin is the same if you click the plugin finder's "Install or Update this plugin" button, or if you enter a URL and click the "Install or Update from URL" button.

As far as renaming, I think "Find Plugins" is more intuitive. People know they want to find plugins, but they may not know what "updating the plugin finder" does.

Plugin Finder isn't always download by default, if you uncheck the option, hence the need for a button. I suppose I could add something that says "Plugin Finder last updated on MM/DD/YY." That check is for autoupdating the Plugin Finder, not the plugins. I want to have it automatically check if a plugin is up to date, but that isn't yet implemented. I want to do it in a way that makes it easy for plugin makers, and plugin users. So I think plugin finder button should go at the top, as it is now.

Regarding the "Download all missing card images" button, I actually tried to make it separated from everything. I didn't want to put it with loading the plugin (at the top). It isn't strictly about finding or updating plugins. Mostly, I wanted to put it close to the log, but it really wasn't meant to be with anything. Maybe I can put a bold label near it to show that it is separate. Not sure if that's a good idea, or what the label would be though.

Trevor

Quote from: AdLit on May 14, 2011, 09:02:19 AM
Quote- Find plugins with custom plugin finder:  surely if you aren't using the standard plugin finder, you will use the Install or Update from URL option?  I don't think this button will confuse people for long though so it's a minor point, but it would mean you could rename the first button "Update plugin finder".

To be honest I'm not sure what this button does - in other words, my assumption was that if you have a link on the clipboard and click on it, it will update your plugin dropdown/popup list with the new link moving forward, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  Any ideas?
Currently, it might always use the default plugin finder URL, but I will make sure it uses the custom URL, once (and if) it has been entered.

Trevor

Quote from: AdLit on May 14, 2011, 10:36:00 AM
Perhaps its so you can take the main lackey plugin index and add to it other links of perhaps less widely distributed/unofficial/beta testing plugins you know of?
If someone wants to maintain a list of plugins, thats up to them, I don't really have any control over that, or what plugins people make in the first place.

If someone wanted to make a list for only a bunch of board games, they could for example.
Or maybe someone had a list of a bunch of THEIR own plugins, they could. There are lots of uses for it, but most people probably want to use the default one.

If any of the plugins listed in the default plugin finder are broken, I will remove them. Or if you want one added, just let me know.

Picks-at-Flies

Still being a pain, but trying to be constructive :halo:

QuoteI think "Find Plugins" is more intuitive.
Not really.  They can already see their plugins, why would they want to find them?  And if they do, clicking this doesn't actually 'find' them, it updates a file they can't see.  However, 'Update plugin finder' wasn't optimal either, so perhaps 'Update plugin list' is better.

QuotePlugin Finder isn't always download by default
Actually, by default it is:  the button is ticked when you first update/install Lackey (okay, it was for me but I'm assuming this is the expected behavior).  What you mean is, it's not guaranteed.  However, unticking the box should be considered an advanced option since you will only want to do this if you are doing something unconventional.  Hence my suggestion it goes underneath.

QuoteIf someone wants to maintain a list of plugins, thats up to them
It is, but actually it still doesn't make sense to have multiple Plugin Finder files (it can lead to confusion).  For non-standard games it's actually more efficient to copy and paste in the URL.  If people really want custom plugin finders, they can just replace the one in the Lackey folder and untick the autoupdate.  Still, if you are happy to change the name of the standard button anyway, I'm just being devil's advocate on this one.

Finally, no, download missing image isn't separated at the moment.  If you want to keep it down the bottom (and the only reason really is to bury it slightly to stop it being clicked without thinking), it should probably have a separator above it and specificially say, "Download missing images for current plugin".  The main confusion, largely due its closeness to the plugin finder, is after you have downloaded a new plugin (let's say MND) so you click it thinking you will download the MND images but in fact download those of your current plugin (Rage, clearly).  Hence my preference to group it with the Current Plugin section.

Regardless, keep up the good work :)