News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

The Mystic Tournament

Started by cap.tiny, May 18, 2011, 04:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cap.tiny

Over fifteen hundred years ago the world was peaceful each race live apart from each other. Then inter-kingdom trading started and races started to learn about each other and hatred grew because the races started to think they were better than the other. A five hundred year broke out and billions died over the time span. The war raged on for too long and magic start tearing apart all of existence. The gods came down and stopped the war themselves before this happened. The gods showed the nations how they can work together. If "war" had to be fought, it would be fought in a tournament of fighting and who ever did better in the tournament would win the war. Now one thousand years since, the tournament still is ever going. Schools have been established to train warriors in the combat arts. Warriors look to honor their schools, nations, societies and families in this this everlasting tournament.

Welcome warriors to the Mystic Tournament, what ever your reason is to fight the out come will be decided here. Choose you best moves, spells and gear, to be ready to fight in the greatest tournament of all time.

Alright now for the game itself, you are a combatant, in the broadest sense of the word, in the Mystic Tournament. You draw upon the 5 elements for energy to perform great attacks, defenses and spells. Air, Earth, Fire, Water and the Fifth are the elements to draw upon.

Air is the swiftest of all the elements, though not very powerful by itself.
Earth is the most powerful of the elements, but is very slow moving.
Fire is quick to burn everything as long as it has fuel to burn.
Water is knowledgeable of the ebb and flow of battle and can easily counter and read you.
The Fifth, no one knows what comes form the Fifth, some say its the most balanced of all the elements.

I am looking for this game to be semi-community driven. Any help you can offer will be appreciated, including card/schools ideas. At the moment trying to make the plugin for it so it can be test played by the community, though this plugin creation stuff confuses the living hell out of me. The game expansions will come out in "schools" meaning each expansion will represent a single school.

here are the rules thus far and i am working on cards to show... thanks to dragoon

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Cyrus

These look like very early mock-ups, so I'm not going to be super harsh for no reason, but some advice...
Obviously the symbols need work, as well as the texture of the cards. Nothing pops, its very flat, and doesn't draw you in to care about that is going on in the game. What are you using to make the cards?

cap.tiny

unfortunately i am just very bad at this artist stuff.. am using a combo of MS Paint and Gimp. nobody has offered any help yet and the artist i was working with has "fallen off the face of the earth". as for the draw and health symbol yes idk what to use.. for the elemental symbols i really want to use some form of those symbols because they are the actual elemental symbols. if you can offer any help it would be appreciated... as for the rules if dragoon adds any thing more i am thinking about turning "power" into "energy"

cap.tiny

ok have an artist now so i should have some stuf in a bit... still need help with the darn plugin.. i just cant figure it out

cap.tiny

I have more artists now. One is working on the card templates and should have some after the weekend.

cap.tiny

ok so this is the card template, of course colors will vary.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mystic-Tournament/131331600278108 you can like the facebook.. this file was too big to post

Cyrus

I really like it, actually. Too tired to delve into it right now but in general its very nice to look at, even though I can't actually read it. The one thing that stands out to me as a possible mechanics problem is the big numbers on the cards. Adding/subtracting/basically interacting with  numbers that don't end in 0, 5, or 10, or are single digits can be a big pain and cause a lot of game time to be spent doing math instead of playing the game. Just a thought, for all I know those numbers are just placeholders.

DavidChaos

I was looking at the rules for the game, and one particular thing that caught my eye and would probably annoy players, especially if the early game has a small number of unique cards, is that when "fighting for a school's honor" you cannot even use non-school cards.  Why does it make sense, flavorwise, that someone fighting for the school can't use generic spells available to someone who may happen to use only generics and that school of spells?  Do the spells have to match the school of the personality to be played at all?  It's also not well explained what kind of advantage this actually gives.

cap.tiny

@Cyrus: not all the numbers will be on there this is just a place holder card for the master cards, the 2 in the top left will be constant for masters but the ones on the right, most of the time there will only be 1-3 of the symbols, 2 being the most constant. Most of the time numbers will stay in MtG number range, reason for this is because bigger numbers like in yugioh were very annoying to me and alot of my friends.

@DavidChaos: almost every card will belong to a school. The rules are still being tweeked slightly and rewritten for more explaining. any master may play cards from any school and can even play any card (by using a 2 for 1 trade of energy, if you do not produce that type of energy). the singling out for one school in itself is a disadvantage via card pool, but trying to balance it to add more of something that i dont know what just yet. the "schools" are the sets and expansions, for example an MtG school is core set 10 or zendikar. though my sets  are much smaller than a MtG set, but due to how the deck building is done this also shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps alot. I know it can't perfect for everyone, but hopefully i will get a following. any other questions just ask.

Ripplez

if you ever hae a plugin to playtest this game, im up for it

cap.tiny

I would love to have a plug in to test the game, but i epic failed at learning how to make the plug in.....  :-[

DavidChaos

Thanks for the explanation on that.  Couple more things from that, though, that I wanted to pull up;

First, there's the school thing.  Would you ever "revisit" previous schools in later sets?  (For instance, let's say you made a Mirrodin school.  Would you, later, make a set of new cards for that school?)  Because it seems like someone using an "Honor-Waza" (I get that from DBZ, which had "Tokui-Waza", where the only styled cards you could use were of a given style) would have no reason to get new cards, and it'd be too expensive if the power level shifts away from them, since they would have to make an entirely new deck for an entirely new style.

cap.tiny

lol actually I got the idea from the dbz card game, I like the idea of optionally decreasing your available card pool to get a bonus of some kind. Schools will never be revisited, but "sister schools" may pop up down the line (way far down the line). For example lets take a school that likes to learn to "fight" like the Kraken, and its called Fists of the Kraken, then later I wanted to revisit the Kraken theme so I just make a different school with a different name, like called Kraken's Way. Both have the Kraken theme but are 2 different schools. I am going to try and stay away from power creep as much as possible and keep the game fresh by have new abilities and other stuff.

Now there will be cards that count for any school if your wandering that too. School wise, cards will be divided into "schooled", "non-schooled" and "any school". It will be easy to tell which are which just by looking at where the school name  is located. Then also a few cards will be "schooled" for any school matching the same element as the card, but these will be few and far between, like maybe a couple of hand fulls a year. I am doing this because the card pools for each school are rather small. At the moment 32 different cards, not including the master cards. The pool number isn't big but then again i am one guy, I am trying to find people to help make schools.

Something i just wanna throw out there is players will be able to legally make their own masters via guidelines in this game. what do ya'll think about that?

Keep them coming guys this discussion stuff keeps me motivated.

DavidChaos

Well, I can certainly see what you mean there, but honestly?  It's not that great from a business sense; after all, what's to make the older players with the Fists of the Kraken players want the Kraken's Way cards?  The "Any School" cards I like, though; give a few cards per set that everybody wants.

An idea may be to, on occasion, have sort of booster sets; small sets that may contain a few cards from a particular school, 2 at least, 10 at most, to give some spice to the older deck's arsenal (and thus make people want to keep their old cards more).

cap.tiny

the vs. for the kraken themes would be type of tournament your playing in.. like magic i will have different tournament set ups.

This game will have no boosters. There is no rarity. No rare hunting at all. The only kind of "rare" hunting would be collecting out of print schools. You buy a whole school (or half school, or specialty boxes) at a time. Each school box will come with 2 complete decks ready to play out of the box, both decks will be completely different from each other.