News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Plugin optimization, and refinement

Started by Carpemortis, May 23, 2011, 12:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carpemortis

Okay so I grabbed the old netrunner plugin, but the interface is a tad clunky (especialy for those of us trying to get by on a netbook).  I've done what I can with the lackey interface options, now I want to update some of the functions for the plugin itself. To this end I have a few questions.

1) is it possible to string multiple functions together in a single menu item?
In netrunner, the corporation plays ice face down and horizontally on the table.  Currently that takes 2 menu clicks. I'd love to add a function that combines that.

2) is there any way to add submenus, and organize the functions within.
There are a silly number of counter types in Netrunner (there are alot of virus counters), and I'd like to streamline the menu system in order to add more without making the menu unmanageable.

3) is it possible to append notes to cards rather than overwriting the existing notes?
There are allot of (de)buff effects that could be better handled with notes.  Ideally, adding them via menu would be simpler and would provide a standardized nomenclature.

Carpemortis

My own research has shown that the answer to question 1 is "No"

However I have a few more questions now.

4) Is the plugin format used in the tutorial the current format?
The netrunner plugin uses a different format, and I'm having trouble determining the current one. Some confusing posts on the forums seem to contradict each other, so I'm just going to ask here.

5) Is there a way to create Global Statistics?
The original netrunner plugin had 1 global stat that was shared by both players, but using the format described in the tutorial, I can't figure out how to duplicate that functionality.

Saethori

Quote from: Carpemortis on May 23, 2011, 03:06:52 PM
The original netrunner plugin had 1 global stat that was shared by both players, but using the format described in the tutorial, I can't figure out how to duplicate that functionality.

The easiest way to solve this one, I think, would be either:

1) Assign it as a player statistic. The host of the game modifies it up and down as needed. All other players leave their value blank.
2) Create a token card named for the statistic. Add and remove counters from it as needed.

Try playtesting to see which method is more comfortable for you and others.

Carpemortis

The second might work well, I tried the first, but that means 5 stats per player.  With the default settings, only the 1st 3 stats show up for each player.

Trevor

Quote from: Carpemortis on May 23, 2011, 12:44:18 PM
Okay so I grabbed the old netrunner plugin, but the interface is a tad clunky (especialy for those of us trying to get by on a netbook).  I've done what I can with the lackey interface options, now I want to update some of the functions for the plugin itself. To this end I have a few questions.

1) is it possible to string multiple functions together in a single menu item?
In netrunner, the corporation plays ice face down and horizontally on the table.  Currently that takes 2 menu clicks. I'd love to add a function that combines that.

2) is there any way to add submenus, and organize the functions within.
There are a silly number of counter types in Netrunner (there are alot of virus counters), and I'd like to streamline the menu system in order to add more without making the menu unmanageable.

3) is it possible to append notes to cards rather than overwriting the existing notes?
There are allot of (de)buff effects that could be better handled with notes.  Ideally, adding them via menu would be simpler and would provide a standardized nomenclature.
While dragging a card from your hand to the table, hold Alt and control and the card will land face down and sideways. There are many ways to do things. If you don't like a way, chances are you will like another way. Combining functions is generally a bad way to do things because it complicates the interface with all the permutations.

With counters, there's like 10 different ways to add counters. You don't need to navigate menus if you don't want to.

Regarding notes, I believe the edit note window has an append, but if it doesn't I can add one.

Trevor

Quote from: Carpemortis on May 23, 2011, 03:06:52 PM
My own research has shown that the answer to question 1 is "No"

However I have a few more questions now.

4) Is the plugin format used in the tutorial the current format?
The netrunner plugin uses a different format, and I'm having trouble determining the current one. Some confusing posts on the forums seem to contradict each other, so I'm just going to ask here.

the plugin creatiOn tutorial is out of date. Take a look at other plugins to see examples. You can still use global stats, defined just like player stats except the name is GLOBALSTAT instead of PLAYERSTAT and global stats are defined first , but with the same syntax.

Carpemortis

Excellent!  Thank you!

I just have to get out of my menu-centric mind set.

cap.tiny

wait ... the plugin creation tutorial is out-of-date? maybe that why i am having soooooo much trouble creating my plugin? also in the future if some one could also create plugin creation tutorial videos would be great... im still trying to find somebody with patience to help me with my plugin :( and am having no luck finding anybody