Started by Bob the Builder, May 29, 2011, 05:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob the Builder

Will be posting other games soon.. give it a look

http://youtu.be/5CKx6bwOXJk   

XoVeR

What that a furnace celebration vs a legacy deck.  Was not expecting that

salmonofdoubt

I'm not sure what your target audience for these videos is. The title "University" implies that it is a learning tool, but it is difficult to learn from players who don't read a number of their cards and who don't use Lackey efficiently. There was no time spent explaining the mechanics of the game, no analysis of anything, many incorrect plays based on misreading cards, and the few times the Lackey interface was explained, it was with tedious menus instead of simple shortcuts. I would recommend watching LSV play constructed matches over at Channelfireball.com if you want to see how to do constructive commentary.

cap.tiny

Quote from: salmonofdoubt on May 31, 2011, 09:51:34 AM
I'm not sure what your target audience for these videos is. The title "University" implies that it is a learning tool, but it is difficult to learn from players who don't read a number of their cards and who don't use Lackey efficiently. There was no time spent explaining the mechanics of the game, no analysis of anything, many incorrect plays based on misreading cards, and the few times the Lackey interface was explained, it was with tedious menus instead of simple shortcuts. I would recommend watching LSV play constructed matches over at Channelfireball.com if you want to see how to do constructive commentary.

Tell me if would, do you learn from watching a college sports game? No, you dont. This was not an educational video, it was a league match for the university. The University is equipped to learn different games, Like me I am comfortable in teaching MTG and Spoils to anyone who would like to learn. I would suggest that you look "further down the rabbit hole" before you start "Judging the wrong show".

Bob the Builder

Im not trying to emulate anyone whether its channel fireball or the Magic show. soon there will be other games posted.. No commentary, just people having fun.. PLUS after i get a cam which will be real soon i will be reviewing games, taking footage from Local FNM , pokemon tourneys, warcraft and naruto tourneys and more. This channel isnt about learning to be a pro player, its about playing ccgs on Lackey and having fun.. And thanks for the Props Capt Tiny

salmonofdoubt

Well, if your aim is to merely show people playing and having fun, referring to yourselves as a "University" is rather misleading and set up false expectations on my part.

Bob the Builder

Well you know, if other people view and appreciate the channel regardless of  how its titled, then i guess in the scheme of things its worth your displeasure. and yes high expectations can be a pain cant they

Bob the Builder

And to state it most appropriately.. everybodys a critic

salmonofdoubt

I have nothing against what you are trying to do. I was merely trying to help you based on the information I had. If you were, in fact, trying to teach card games to viewers, I wanted to point out a few ways you could improve and expand upon that idea. I even referred you to a website that tries to do something similar to that. This is generally described as constructive criticism. You responded quite harshly to this feedback, leading me to believe that no matter what I might suggest to improve your channel you will ignore it.

Whatever your aim for this series of videos is, it doesn't matter to me. I just saw your post, reviewed what I thought you were trying to do, and offered some suggestions. I'm sorry that my attempt to help was perceived negatively.

If you change your mind and want some feedback on a few basic play mistakes, I'd be happy to help. The best advice I can give you (and I'm sure the viewers of your channel will appreciate this) is to read your cards so that when you play them, they have the effect on the game that they are supposed to have. Lackey isn't MTGO, so you have to know what your cards do. The program doesn't automatically spawn two tokens when you play Kozilek's Predator, for example.

cap.tiny

Quote from: salmonofdoubt on May 31, 2011, 03:42:05 PM
I have nothing against what you are trying to do. I was merely trying to help you based on the information I had. If you were, in fact, trying to teach card games to viewers, I wanted to point out a few ways you could improve and expand upon that idea. I even referred you to a website that tries to do something similar to that. This is generally described as constructive criticism. You responded quite harshly to this feedback, leading me to believe that no matter what I might suggest to improve your channel you will ignore it.

Whatever your aim for this series of videos is, it doesn't matter to me. I just saw your post, reviewed what I thought you were trying to do, and offered some suggestions. I'm sorry that my attempt to help was perceived negatively.

If you change your mind and want some feedback on a few basic play mistakes, I'd be happy to help. The best advice I can give you (and I'm sure the viewers of your channel will appreciate this) is to read your cards so that when you play them, they have the effect on the game that they are supposed to have. Lackey isn't MTGO, so you have to know what your cards do. The program doesn't automatically spawn two tokens when you play Kozilek's Predator, for example.

I apologize for my harsh response.

It seems to me that your definition of a university is very narrow, when if fact the definition is very broad. This is a university, for we do teach the CCGs, the league videos are just the "extra curricular activities". Anything that positively helps is welcome.

salmonofdoubt

Let me know when you post content with the aim of teaching, maybe I can offer some positive suggestions for the games I am familiar with.

Bob the Builder

Ok..im going to nip this in the bud RIGHT NOW.. CCG university is NOT a teaching channel... if you read the channels description it says NOTHING about being a teaching channel. AND i stick by the name of MY channel.. PLAINLY put, if you dont care to watch anything on the channel thats fine by me. the channel will follow the format I envision for it..PERIOD

Trevor

The term university is a bit misleading.

u?ni?ver?si?ty/ˌyo͞onəˈvərsətē/
Noun: An educational institution designed for instruction, examination, or both, of students

Do you have a mission statement posted on webpage?

Bob the Builder

It is a Youtube channel.therefore i really dont need a mission statement. And what the channels names IS NOT RELEVANT.. im done debating this.. watch the channel if you guys want, if not i really dont care..PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD