News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Point display in Game pane for points> 9999

Started by Nava, June 02, 2011, 04:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nava

Hi,

is there a possibility to change the layout of the points area in the Game pane? If you score more than 9,999 points the last digit will not be hidden by the +/- buttons. In at least one game this will cause inconveniences as point values in Tribbles CCG can go up to 200,000 and more per game and player... (I know another obscure game ;))

Nava

Trevor

I think this is a issue of not using the lowest common demoninator. What is the lowest amount of points you can increase by? If it's a thousand, just assume that stat is the number it says, times a thousand.

Alternatively, you can truncate the name of the stat so there is room.

Nava

Quote from: Trevor on June 02, 2011, 07:59:54 AM
I think this is a issue of not using the lowest common demoninator. What is the lowest amount of points you can increase by? If it's a thousand, just assume that stat is the number it says, times a thousand.

The lowest denominator is 1.

Quote from: Trevor
Alternatively, you can truncate the name of the stat so there is room.

That is something I tried first, before I posted. You can't do that. It will always leave only 4 digits readable, No matter how long the name of the stat is. (Version: Mac OS X, 05-27-11)

Nava

Trevor

QuoteThe lowest denominator is 1.
So you are expended to do some event more than 10,000 times during a game?

Link me a card that increases the points by 1. I find this hard to believe.

Nava

Quote from: Trevor on June 02, 2011, 10:44:29 AM
QuoteThe lowest denominator is 1.
So you are expended to do some event more than 10,000 times during a game?

Link me a card that increases the points by 1. I find this hard to believe.
A card that increases the points by one would be:
http://www.trekcc.org/tribbles/index.php?mode=card&cardID=3751
A card that could increase the points by 100,000 points would be:
http://www.trekcc.org/tribbles/index.php?mode=card&cardID=3841

The lore on the cards is ignored; the only important parts are the number of Tribbles (vulg. points) and the so called power like "Skip" on the 1 tribble card, which tells you what to do next.

Even if this sounds insane - the game itself is fast and fun :D

Nava

Trevor

Oh, so from what I gather, the actual number of tribbles isn't really like a stat, but rather it is a sequential thing.

The 1 Tribble card is more like something you just need to spot on the table so you can play cards like 100,000 Tribbles. If that is right, I don't think you need to have a stat for that sort of thing.

In functionality it's equivalent to a card like "Play card B only if you have card A", right?

What do you do with physical cards? Do you right down your tribble count, or do you just look at the cards and tally it whenever it is relevant?

Nava

Quote from: Trevor on June 02, 2011, 11:14:07 AM
Oh, so from what I gather, the actual number of tribbles isn't really like a stat, but rather it is a sequential thing.

The 1 Tribble card is more like something you just need to spot on the table so you can play cards like 100,000 Tribbles. If that is right, I don't think you need to have a stat for that sort of thing.

In functionality it's equivalent to a card like "Play card B only if you have card A", right?

It has both functions - first there is the sequential function during play (let aside the powers) then there is a scoring function: the first player without cards in hand scores points equal to the sum of all tribbles played by him (+ Bonus points...). You can also score points by special powers equal to card values within a round...

What do you do with physical cards? Do you right down your tribble count, or do you just look at the cards and tally it whenever it is relevant?

You mostly write it down, as there are additional possibilities of scoring and if you go over 6 or seven rounds with 5 players it might be difficult to track.

Nava

Picks-at-Flies

Can I ask if it's (realistically) possible to end the game with less than 1000 points?  Do the points less than a thousand ever decide a game?  What about the same questions for 100 points?

(It's quite possible they do, but I don't know the game).

Nava

Quote from: Picks-at-Flies on June 02, 2011, 11:28:36 AM
Can I ask if it's (realistically) possible to end the game with less than 1000 points?  Do the points less than a thousand ever decide a game?  What about the same questions for 100 points?

(It's quite possible they do, but I don't know the game).

This would be a real result from one of the last online tournaments:

Tournament Results
Player Name   Points
1         224445
2         122212
3         120122
4         10734
5         10010

It may (rarely) happen that a tournament is decided by 100s or even 10s (here 2nd and 3rd in the 1,000s, 4th and 5th in the 100s); as well as a player may score not more than 0 points during an event. Even a victory by 1 point is (theoretically) possible.

Nava

Trevor

Is this something you need to keep track of explicitly, or something that can be counted at any point in time?

With such a weird and unwieldy number, I think this sort of thing might be better handled by a note on a card rather than as a proper player stat.

Nava

Quote from: Trevor on June 02, 2011, 01:18:24 PM
Is this something you need to keep track of explicitly, or something that can be counted at any point in time?

With such a weird and unwieldy number, I think this sort of thing might be better handled by a note on a card rather than as a proper player stat.

You need to keep track of ... as points will change at the end of a round as well as in rounds you will need to keep track for all players, not only for yourself. E.g. If you know how many points your opponents have and how many possible points you have played so far (- that you have to keep track in your mind) you might know if it is feasible to end the round (if possible) or if you should carry on.
Note on a card: there is one problem - cards may be moved back to hand from either the discard zone or the play zone by using the Tribble powers. Hence to which card shall a player attach a note? Also the points are carried from one round to the next, while all piles/zones are (nearly) reset.

Nava

Trevor

Quote from: Nava on June 02, 2011, 02:43:23 PM
Quote from: Trevor on June 02, 2011, 01:18:24 PM

You need to keep track of ... as points will change at the end of a round as well as in rounds you will need to keep track for all players, not only for yourself. E.g. If you know how many points your opponents have and how many possible points you have played so far (- that you have to keep track in your mind) you might know if it is feasible to end the round (if possible) or if you should carry on.
Note on a card: there is one problem - cards may be moved back to hand from either the discard zone or the play zone by using the Tribble powers. Hence to which card shall a player attach a note? Also the points are carried from one round to the next, while all piles/zones are (nearly) reset.

Nava
You could spawn a card, or use a token card and write the note on that.

I suppose I could adjust things to show more than 4 digits. Maybe 6 digits?

Nava

Quote from: Trevor on June 02, 2011, 03:32:52 PM
You could spawn a card, or use a token card and write the note on that.

Yes spawned cards would be possible as well as token cards (which do not exist in this game at this point - but this could be altered if necessary)

I suppose I could adjust things to show more than 4 digits. Maybe 6 digits?

6 digits would be great!

Nava

Picks-at-Flies

There is a simpler alternative:  if you only have one player stat each, why not just split it into 1000s and 1s [1-999] and have one stat for each.  I think it would actually be EASIER for players to keep track of from what you've said.  That way Trevor doesn't have to alter anything for a niche case.

Nava

Quote from: Picks-at-Flies on June 02, 2011, 06:29:35 PM
There is a simpler alternative:  if you only have one player stat each, why not just split it into 1000s and 1s [1-999] and have one stat for each.  I think it would actually be EASIER for players to keep track of from what you've said.  That way Trevor doesn't have to alter anything for a niche case.

Well depends on your definition of "simple" (and simple for whom) but this game is played with 5 players + i.e. at least 10 stats to keep track of and an additional operation which may lead to errors.

Summary: It was only something I asked - there is a game out there which has stats running higher than 1,000. Is it possible to accommodate that? If it is possible to do it by a change to the UI then it would be great to do so; if there is no possibility to do it then we would have to adapt by using the different options given in this thread (btw I'm astonished how many different ideas popped up). But I would not have asked if this had not been an real inconvenience in our previous games.

Nava