News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Commander cards in magic plugin?

Started by Netbattler11, June 14, 2011, 12:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fever

Quote from: GnKoichi on June 21, 2011, 01:58:40 PM
Bort didn't sound offput by it all. He asked for a working link and some more information.

I think it's good to remember that Bort does all of this out of the goodness of his heart. Every update from him is something special we should be thankful for, not something we should just expect him to do.

he seemed to think it wasn't a proper set release, which to me in turn seemed that he didn't want to do it.

I do appreciate the plugin's existence, sorry if it sounded like i was taking it for granted. i've offered to help, it's hardly a big job doing 51 cards.

Crovack

This is why I want to be able to add custom cards (see: this thread).
Bort has done an amazing job, but there's times when it's kind of painful to get updates done in a timely manner.  There are quite a few players who particularly enjoy playing EDH/Commander and this new 'set' is huge for the format.

Netbattler11

cbus05 already posted a working link. Here it is again though. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?set=[%22Magic:%20The%20Gathering-Commander%22] cbus did say that the formatting was not working correctly, so you need to paste the address directly into your browser bar. Also, that includes all the cards reprinted in the decks. If you want to find out which cards are completely new, you can use this card image gallery. http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/commander/cig

Bort

Commander and Modern format are coming soon.

fever

woohoooo! You're the bestest, Bort!

Netbattler11

Dr. Zaj

yay! but how soon is "soon"? "Soon" could mean anything.

Crovack

Yeah, soon was posted 3 days ago and the full commander list has been out for a long while now.

I really hope Trevor can get the custom card addition done soon as well, since it will allow us to play with cards as they're released rather than having to wait impatiently.
Half of M12 is already spoiled and I love the idea of being able to start testing some of the cards.  The new Goblin Fireslinger looks awesome and highly under-rated.

Cyrus

Quote from: Crovack on June 25, 2011, 01:24:22 AM
wait impatiently.

You could try waiting patiently, I mean, he's taking free time out of his own life to better yours. Show a little constraint :D

Dr. Zaj

Quote from: Cyrus on June 25, 2011, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: Crovack on June 25, 2011, 01:24:22 AM
wait impatiently.

You could try waiting patiently, I mean, he's taking free time out of his own life to better yours. Show a little constraint :D

I agree that he is taking time off of his own hands, but here's the thing about commitments. Don't commit unless you're ready to commit. Bort should have known going into this that he'd deal with impatience. I'm not saying that it's not a little greedy to be impatient, I'm just saying it's natural.

Saethori

Quote from: Dr. Zaj on June 26, 2011, 01:26:57 PM
I agree that he is taking time off of his own hands, but here's the thing about commitments. Don't commit unless you're ready to commit. Bort should have known going into this that he'd deal with impatience. I'm not saying that it's not a little greedy to be impatient, I'm just saying it's natural.

Many aspects of this is true, but it's difficult to delicately figure out which parts.

As a fellow plugin developer, I can kind of understand what it's like to have pressure to fix errors and fill in cards. But at the same time, I don't really know what it's like to be rushed. Everyone will likely treat their plugin a little differently than I do mine, since everyone's life situation is different than the next's. It may be that Bort sees the plugin on a different scale than most of the plugin's users. But it may also be that something in his outer life is keeping him from spending any of his free time, such as being overworked at a job or a medical emergency. It's situations like this that it helps to have a wingman of sorts; someone you can count on to help out with the plugin when you're unavailable.

The situation with the MtG Plugin is just highly exaggerated, because it is easily the most popular plugin of Lackey. Maybe Bort isn't as committed to the plugin as he should, this is a possibility. But if he chose to pass the reins, there's no guarantee that the person who receives them would be better; they could be even less committed.

I'd do this update myself, since my own plugin won't need an update for months, except that I had a rather disastrous falling-out with the game... I wouldn't really be impartial. >_>

Crovack

I wasn't attempting to be rude, and as I've said I appreciate the work that bort does.

That said, it's been made clear that MtG is easily the most popular plugin and normally has more players than all the rest combine using the server.  If Bort needs help, he should ask: but simply not having content available in a timely manner hurts Lackey as a whole.  The delay with NPH actually had some Lackey:MtG players talking about using other programs that were updated when the set was fully spoiled.

I also mentioned that Trevor has expressed an interest in my idea to allow 'custom' card additions, which would mean that the rest of us could add card images temporarily as soon as they're spoiled.  It would lessen the 'impatience' of waiting for updates from Bort.

It doesn't help that there isn't really a clear line of communication either.  We're told "soon" with no relevant ETA established.  The set has been spoiled for weeks now.

I'll just add that being the person who manages the largest and most popular plugin on Lackey is something that deserves praise, but it is also a responsibility - if Bort is too busy to do so, I'm the last one to judge; but it does mean that seeking help or passing off the job to someone else should be done and that is his responsibility if he can't do the updates in a timely manner.

Dr. Zaj

I agree. There are clearly a lot of people who know how to program these card images. Why not let them have a go at it so we don't have to wait? Those of you who know my posts know that i'm not a big fan of indefinite periods of waiting. *see also my post in Trevor's forum about the new server.*

Saethori

Quote from: Crovack on June 26, 2011, 05:46:25 PMI also mentioned that Trevor has expressed an interest in my idea to allow 'custom' card additions, which would mean that the rest of us could add card images temporarily as soon as they're spoiled.
The biggest kicker with the custom cards idea is that everything suggested for it are promotional cards that, logically, should be in the plugin anyways. x.x

I don't know for sure since I've become rather detached from the game since I left it after the M10 debacle, but just from the posts I read here it feels like a very large portion of the promotional cards are missing. One way or another, I just get the impression that Bort is over his head right now with this plugin.