Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (new LCG from Fantasy Flight, NOT Decipher)

Started by Bootylactin, July 28, 2011, 11:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jynks

Quote from: Trevor on November 19, 2011, 08:41:02 PMbtw, I thought lotr was a cooperative game. Does it actually matter of your teammates also see the cards?

The game has some wierd rules about what it terms "table talk". You are not allowed to discuss your cards in your hand, their effects or anything like that. You are only meant to cooperate on cards that are revealed on the table. The "idea" I think is that they are trying to preserve some of that Magic the gathering / call of cthulhu type "tricky" / "surprise" actions you get from your opponent. As well as force players to BOTH be good, rather than one player directing the entire game.

So what this means is that there are a number of card effects that require decision making to be done by a single player concealed from and with out any input from his partner upon the encounter deck. Also you own hand at all times is concealed just like a dueling game.

Also this same formula is going ot be used in the new FFG Star Wars game that I am sure to be playing as it is a co-op / solitaire game set in Star Wars and ONLY in the original trilogy!.. sorry went of topic.. what I mean is that these suggestions are likely to be used in other games not just LoTR.

Quote from: Trevor on November 19, 2011, 08:41:02 PMYou submitted a very good and specific bug report there. The shared deck stuff was a new feature, and I thought it might have some bugs, and you seemed to find many of them for me to fix. Those kinds of bug reports are very helpful.

Thanks, I am involved in a freeware game engine and know that there is a fine line between being sportive of the developer, giving constructive comments  etc etc, and just complaining and bitching like a street hooker. I am glad you understand where I am coming from. Even if you do none of these fixes your app will still rocks. I just get nervous in posting things like b4, as I do not want you to take it as if I am going "I deserve things! Make it do this! You suck for not doing it like this!" Know what I mean?

I'm doing some final touch ups to the plugin and trying to work out the updateurl thing as well as making low, medium, high versions. So I'll get back to you on that zone thing. I tried the update app in teh game dir, but for some reason it often downloads and then I can not run teh app! I get this error...

<---- EDIT
But I just download it again form the website and everything is cool..

Yea, imo, this way for loading individual zones is better.

Jynks

Hello there!

I have been working on a LackeyCCG plugin for Lord of the Rings the Living Card Game witch will allow players to play with other people across the internet. I mainly did this as there are so few people for me to play with locally :(

FFG is aware of LackeyCCG, Vassel, OCTGN and the others. I chose LackeyCCG as I prefer it. There rule of thumb is that any card released in these virtual table top environments must have been available in the real world for 6 months. This means that "A Hunt for Gollum" is now ready to be released as it is December, and I'll be adding a new AP each month as they get released.

DO NOT ASK ME FOR EARLY RELEASES OF CARDS I WILL NOT DO IT.

This plugin allows you to play SOLO, or play SOLO using 2 decks. It also allows you to play 2 Player, 3 Player, 4Player with other friends across the internet. And it also supports spectators.

Hope you like it.. Have fun!
--------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -
INSTALLATION
Download LackeyCCG - http://www.lackeyccg.com
extract and run the exe
Go to preferences/plugins and select LoTRlcg from the list
Select your resolution you would like to use and click install
After that, click the "Download all missing Cards" button.
--------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- -
TUTORIAL
LackeyCCG is pretty self explanatory but I have made a tutorial series for anyone that might be having troubles
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8A22BF9C1D87F757&feature=view_all

Part 1 = Installing and Setup
Part 2 = Usage
Part 3 = Deck Building
HUNT FOR GOLLUM PLAY THOUGH

I have also uploaded "a Hunt for Gollum" play though in lackey from deck building to end of a game so you can see it in action! I'll prob do one of these vids for each new AP that comes out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPgu0EDVQGI&list=PL532DB6DF489DA3BA&index=5&feature=plpp_video

You can find the deck list at http://www.cardgamedb.com
http://tinyurl.com/7ujdtwe

I'll most likely be maintaining this plugin for the foreseeable future. A big thank you to BOOTYLAKTIN for the original plugin witch I took over as well as to Trevor (lackeyCCG dev) and of course to FFG, for not only making a awesome game but also having an enlightened attitude to these virtual table top versions of their games. (of course IF they made there own computer game versions I wouldn't have to do this.. just saying)

--Tragic

<--NOTE
Everything in working 100% apart form being able to scry the encounter deck. You can see my work around in the video but I eventually the "look at" command and popup should work the same as they do on player decks. Still for now you will need to do it like this

r0cknes

I believe this to be a plugin crash, but I could be wrong. First of all thank you for publishing this plugin game! I own the game right now and I love playing with the real cards, but it is nice to be able to play a long game with a friend in long distance. However I ran into a bug. When I load the Passage through Mirkwood Encounter Deck in the deck builder. I then click the Quest tab to add the 4 Quests to the Quest shared deck. When I do that Lackey Crashes. I hope that was descriptive enough. I can load the encounter deck to the encounter shared deck, but if I try to do that with the quests lackey crashes. I have tried to load quests first and second and I get the same result. I believe there is a way around it, but it is just annoying I guess. Thanks again for the plugin.

Trevor

Quote from: r0cknes on December 11, 2011, 06:46:49 AM
I believe this to be a plugin crash, but I could be wrong. First of all thank you for publishing this plugin game! I own the game right now and I love playing with the real cards, but it is nice to be able to play a long game with a friend in long distance. However I ran into a bug. When I load the Passage through Mirkwood Encounter Deck in the deck builder. I then click the Quest tab to add the 4 Quests to the Quest shared deck. When I do that Lackey Crashes. I hope that was descriptive enough. I can load the encounter deck to the encounter shared deck, but if I try to do that with the quests lackey crashes. I have tried to load quests first and second and I get the same result. I believe there is a way around it, but it is just annoying I guess. Thanks again for the plugin.
Please give a complete list of the exact buttons you click from a new launch. Is this repeatable?

Jynks

It should be blue not white. Are you using the old abandoned original plugin?

Jynks

I have been PM'd on other sites and YouTube about this a lot, so I thought it best to copy this reply into the 3 posts I have on the various forums....

Q1 - How come there is no RIGHT CLICK on CARD/SEND TO TOP OF ENCOUNTER DISCARD option?
Q2 - Dose the RIGHT CLICK on DECK TAB/REVEAL TOP X CARDS work correctly? It seams wired.

Short Answer
Q1 - No. There is no RIGHT CLICK on CARD/SEND TO TOP OF ENCOUNTER DISCARD, yet.

Q2- No. The "reveal" functions do not work on the encounter deck. Do not use it. BUT it works 100% for the player decks, so use this for "Gandalf's Search" or "Mountains of Mirkwood" or "Gildor Inglorion" or any card that scrys the PLAYER DECK. Eventually you will be able to use this function on the encounter deck but as yet it is NOT possible.

Long Answer
LackeyCCG is a constant work in progress, the addition of "shared zones" witch I am using for the encounter deck is relitivly new addition to lackey. So at this time there are some problems though they will be addressed eventually.

Q1 - The best way to handle the "encounter discard" is to open the encounter discard pile on the right hand column.  Then simply drag the discarded encounter cards to it. Remeber there are game functions that key off the discard decks ORDER. So it is important to drag to the correct place, this means the VERY TOP of the discard pile. This can be irksome as well due to the fact the it is very easy to drag to the wrong place as the position slider on the far left can sometimes not be pushed always to the top, so while it looks like you are dragging to the correct position you are in fact dragging to somewhere in the middle of the deck. So if you use this method, you need to make sure you drag to the TOP of the column, and also that the slider bar is hard pushed to the TOP.

The other method, is more safe, but can be a bit annoying, as the "drag" target is small especially on high resolution monitors. Still, this is the safest method, if you drag the card you wish to discard to either of the ENCOUNTER DISCARD tabs, it will always place the card on the top of the encounter deck in the correct place.

Q2 - The "RIGHT CLICK on DECK/REVEAL TOP X CARDS" function works 100% perfectly on the player decks.

At the moment though it dose NOT WORK on the encounter deck. Simply do not use it. Remember most card affects that allows you to scry the encounter deck, for example Hunt for Gollum quest effect or Denathor's ability are "private" effects due to the "no table talk" rule. The scry'n decisions are NOT group decisions.

So until the "RIGHT CLICK on DECK/REVEAL TOP X CARDS" function on the encounter deck can select individual players to only be able to see the cards, it is not usable and be legal to the rules of the game. For at the moment when using this function "everyone" can see the cards and there is no way to stop that.

On top of that, the popup window is unable to send cards to the correct discard pile, so that needs to be fixed as well, and I am sure it will be addressed when ever the LackeyCCG designer gets a chance. He is very busy and of course needs to consider many more games than just LoTRs when he is doing upgrades to LackeyCCG.

on the encounter deck is not working either. Witch is why in my game demo for HFG I scryed the encounter deck using the "drag" method. This is defiantly the most irksome bug in lackey for LoTR-LCG and needs to be addressed b4 I can claim this plugin is 100% conversion. Still this will be fixed in latter releases of LackeyCCG.

For now rule of thumb is SIMPLY DO NOT USE THIS FUNCTION ON THE ENCOUNTER DECK.

For an demo on how to scry the encounter deck.. click this link... for now this is the only way to do it legally according to the rules.

Using Denathor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MTOUXpyMxjc#t=536s
HFG Quest Effect - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MTOUXpyMxjc#t=640s

I hope this helps!

Have fun
--Tragic

Jynks

Quote from: Trevor on December 11, 2011, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: r0cknes on December 11, 2011, 06:46:49 AM
Please give a complete list of the exact buttons you click from a new launch. Is this repeatable?

Ok, this is repeatable...

If you load a "encounter deck" .. these go to the "shared zones". In the deck editor, if you click on the encounter deck tab and use "load zone" button, everything is cool. But if you click on the QUEST tab and unlike the player deck, the "load to zone" button dose not auto select "quest" it stays on "encounter"... if you change this to quest to load into the correct zone... LackeyCCG will crash.

Work around..

Always load your encounter deck first using "Load entire Deck to you" then load your player deck and heroes using the "load to zone" as these buttons work 100% on player decks.

Hope that helps!
--Tragic

Trevor

I'm referring to these pages as I fix bugs.

Also, "witch" and "which" have slightly different meanings.

r0cknes

Thanks! I was already able to find a workaround, but I just wanted to get the bug out there incase it was a plugin or program bug. Great plugin!

Trevor

r0cknes

Here is how to make Lackey crash.  ;D Sounds like a good title for a book.

1. Open Lackey  :o
2. Load the LOTRlcg plugin
3. Click the Deck Editor tab
4. Browse for a premade deck.
5. Load the Passage Through Mirkwood Deck
6. While The Encounter Deck tab is chosen Load to Shared Deck: Encounter Deck
7. Click on the Deck Editor Tab again
8. Click the Quest Tab.
9. Load the Quest Tab to the Quest Shared Deck
10. Lackey Crashes YAY!!!  ;)

I found this would take less time than making a video. I hope this helps you Trevor joking aside.

Jynks

Version 2.1.1 Is up!

Fixed: The Provided Hunt for Gollum Encounter deck to include the correct Encounter Cards

Fixed:  Dunedain Mark now displays as a Attachment, instead of a Event

Change: Changed the naming conventions for all Encounter Cards, so that now grouping by "sphere" in the deck editor will place all encounter cards in the same block for easy readability.

Added : Added 6 new Custom Quests made by NinjaDorg. Check them out in this thread at BBG - http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66659/ninjadorgs-lotr-lcg-scenarios

I think everything is working, let me know if you find any more bugs!

r0cknes

Hey Thanks again for the plugin Jynks! I hope you take this in the way it is meant. I am trying to be helpful. I made a packdefinitions file for this plugin. I have only done the Core set. I like to use it for making real decks with my real cards. I don't plan on making this for every set, I just wanted to make it for the sets I actually own. As I do them I would be glad to post them, but if you would like to include this with your next update that would be awesome, i think. Right now I only own the core set so that is all I have done.

I hope this helps you.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Jynks

r0cknes

It is for the opening packs feature of lackey. I am sorry I thought you knew what it was. It is explained thoroughly in the plugin creation tutorial. It allows the the plugin user to limit what cards he may use to make decks. For instance a person may not know how many "stand and fight" cards are in the core set. Opening the core set pack would show the amount of cards that are in the sets.

The .XML file can be viewed in notepad. It should be placed in the "packs" folder of your plugin. I have in the file written that the picture should be called "1". You can change that. But whatever you use, it needs to be a jpg in the packs folder of the same name that you wrote in the packdefinitions file.