News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Custom Dice

Started by xanderg7, July 29, 2011, 10:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xanderg7

Having a way to load images to some dice could add a way to induce more games such has heroscape's battle system.
i don't know how hard it would be to load some images to show some dice. even if it would be in 2D could be neat. (rolling animation has an extra but not necessarily important) I'm working on a non-tcg game with a custom dice battle system was hoping to be able to try it out like that since I have some what a dozen color coded dice with different combinations on them.
So if it is possible that the options in game allows you to select what dice you wanna throw and show them either in a windowed screen or on the table. a plugin based something like this (For D6)
DICE#  NAME  COLOR   IMAGE1(sides # to #) IMAGE2(sides # to #) IMAGE3 (sides # to #) etc...
DICE0  ATTACK  RED    miss.jpg 1 2 sword.jpg 3 5 critical.jpg 6 6

please people leave me some comments on what you think about this feature.

Saethori

...So, basically, you want dice to yield non-number results (like resulting in Red, Blue, Yellow instead of 1, 2, 3)?

I dunno, couldn't you just assign each color to a number, then write down the assigned numbers in the card text? Like Blue(2) so people know what number it really corresponds to? (For example, the WoW Minis game uses a unique symbol for "10" on their ten-sided dice, but you could just include (10) as a reminder on any card asking for that symbol. Dreamblade's unusual dice could easily be worked on a similar method.)

Altering the text input of dice, especially with the way dice work in Lackey as-is, seems somewhat of a strange endeavor for very little gain. Forcing dice to have graphical representations would be even harder to implement well with even less active benefit. I really can't see the point in it.

Trevor

A lot of games, especially board games, have custom dice. I think it wouldn't be to hard to let a plugin maker include images for each face and implement a dice roller.

Until then, you can certainly get the functionality with existing functions.

Jerod_tb

I think that function would be great.  I would love to make a Dragon Dice plugin. 

GnKoichi

Trevor, how would you recommend creating something like the Heroscape dice with existing functions?

For reference, they are six sided dice. Three sides are a "hit" result, two sides are a "defend" result, and one side is blank. They are almost always rolled in a bunch (usually 3 to 5), so the important results is how many total hits or defenses you rolled in a pool.

Cyrus

1 = blank
2, 3 = defend
4, 5, 6 = hit

would that work GnKoichi?

Trevor

Quote from: Cyrus on August 01, 2011, 12:45:17 PM
1 = blank
2, 3 = defend
4, 5, 6 = hit

would that work GnKoichi?
That would probably be the simplest way.

GnKoichi

Just rolling a six sided die once for each die in the pool and coordinating the numbers to a result? Yes, that would work, but so many games use a similar mechanic that it would be nice to get a cleaner implementation that requires less bookkeeping by the players. I don't think a lot of board game plugins will really thrive in this space without something like that in place.

Saethori

Well, don't forget Lackey supports rolling multiple dice simultaneously, with commands such as, say, /roll3d6. It tells you both the total result and the individual results. Don't have to roll a six-sided die once repeatedly.

Cyrus

Trevor, would there be a way to have the rolled dice read differently in the chat box? So instead of needing art for each custom die, you could just set what each value on a particular die is called and save it as "Custom D6" or whatever the name of the die actually is in the game. Then if you rolled 5 dice at once with GnKoichi's "Hit Dice" it would read out "Blank, Defend, Hit, Hit, Hit" or something like that. Seems easier than implementing images for the die, because where would the images appear when the die were rolled (unless you've got super secret plans for an animated die roller, which would be pretty sweet, albeit unnecessary)?

Trevor

I'll support this properly as soon as I finish more important stuff.

Cyrus

Quote from: Trevor on August 02, 2011, 11:11:41 AM
I'll support this properly as soon as I finish more important stuff.