News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

LackeyCCG Suggestion - Automated Events

Started by xkirby, August 12, 2011, 04:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xkirby

I'm not sure if this is possible at all, but I was curious if you could add plugin script functions to automate certain actions.

For example, in a card game I'm making I use 4 sets of Damage tokens to keep track of low and high numbers of Damage. They're in denominations of 5, 25, 100, and 500, and would be helpful to automate this instead of having to swap tokens manually. Another example would be card effects that do specific tasks like moving cards or adding tokens.

I know adding automation isn't 100% necessary, but it would make certain games run faster. I'm not asking you to make it required by plugin creators to have these features, but an option to have them. That way it's up to the discretion of the plugin maintainers if these features are automatic or manual.

It would be very much appreciated if you could take this into consideration. Thanks in advance.

Trevor

I will be augmenting the ability to script, but it's more trouble than its worth in most cases. For your damage tokens, is suggest you use notes instead.

With more scripting added, it adds the ability for things to happen that you didn't intend to do because "it's automated". Very rarely does it turn out to be an overall boon to use complicated scripting.

It sounds like a cool idea at first glance, but the more you think about what exactly it entails, I think it becomes less and less attractive.

xkirby

You're right about certain things happening that shouldn't, now that I think about it. Some of the cards I have usually end up actually activating a turn or 2 later instead of instantaneously, so blocking them could be a challenge. Oh well.

Also, using notes could work too. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks anyway. :)

carapippino

i queue this topic because i've had a similar thought, although for another game, in my case doomtrooper: here's a clear and simple example: in the game the money to do things is called PD (obiosvly defined in the plugininfo.txt). a card, called positive karma, let you add 10 PD. i thought a similar thing:

<cardfunction><label>positive karma</label><kind>ADDCOUNTER</kind><qty>10</qty><imagefile>positivekarma</imagefile></cardfunction>

obiovlsy, it is necessary to create a new kind, but the base idea is this

let me know what you think about this

billylee174

Quote from: carapippino on August 13, 2011, 03:49:46 AM
i queue this topic because i've had a similar thought, although for another game, in my case doomtrooper: here's a clear and simple example: in the game the money to do things is called PD (obiosvly defined in the plugininfo.txt). a card, called positive karma, let you add 10 PD. i thought a similar thing:

<cardfunction><label>positive karma</label><kind>ADDCOUNTER</kind><qty>10</qty><imagefile>positivekarma</imagefile></cardfunction>

In your case you can maybe have the PD set as a playerstat.

Trevor:
Despite this, I believe that it will be good to set the number of counters in a cardfunction. I had the problem that I tried to set 2 <kind> to a same cardfunction and I couldn't (both the same kind, or different ones), so I couldn't do 2 things with the same button. Is it possible to do this and I'm not aware how?

Trevor

Quote from: billylee174 on February 25, 2012, 05:17:13 PM
Quote from: carapippino on August 13, 2011, 03:49:46 AM

In your case you can maybe have the PD set as a playerstat.

Trevor:
Despite this, I believe that it will be good to set the number of counters in a cardfunction. I had the problem that I tried to set 2 <kind> to a same cardfunction and I couldn't (both the same kind, or different ones), so I couldn't do 2 things with the same button. Is it possible to do this and I'm not aware how?
You can do multiple functions with a single button if you make a canned message.
http://lackeyccg.com/tutoriallogcommands.html

As far as actual functions, its not a good idea to combine multiple functions into a single button. You still need all the individual functions, so going that road you are left with a button for all permutations, which is overwhelming. It isn't hard to click to buttons, especially if you make their buttons below the table right next to each other.

billylee174

Quote from: Trevor on February 26, 2012, 12:18:09 AM
I believe that it will be good to set the number of counters in a cardfunction. I had the problem that I tried to set 2 <kind> to a same cardfunction and I couldn't (both the same kind, or different ones), so I couldn't do 2 things with the same button. Is it possible to do this and I'm not aware how?
You can do multiple functions with a single button if you make a canned message.

As far as actual functions, its not a good idea to combine multiple functions into a single button. You still need all the individual functions, so going that road you are left with a button for all permutations, which is overwhelming. It isn't hard to click to buttons, especially if you make their buttons below the table right next to each other.

I see your point but I meant doing a button to do multiple actions (like assigning 5 counters) without the need to have a cardfunction for each action taken (assigning 1 counter). And if we need to assign multiple single card functions that won't be used, then if it's possible to hide them completely (so they won't appear anywhere, even in the menu).

I know that you wish to avoid problems at all cost, but maybe there is a game where you have to assign numbers multiple of 5, or a game (like the one I've created) that every time you do a damage to a creature, that creature looses 1 point of his resistance. So in this case it is necessary not to assign the resistance of the creature as token, or assign it and every time that it receives a damage, click on +dmg and -res.

Trevor

Quote from: billylee174 on February 26, 2012, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: Trevor on February 26, 2012, 12:18:09 AM
I believe that it will be good to set the number of counters in a cardfunction. I had the problem that I tried to set 2 <kind> to a same cardfunction and I couldn't (both the same kind, or different ones), so I couldn't do 2 things with the same button. Is it possible to do this and I'm not aware how?

I see your point but I meant doing a button to do multiple actions (like assigning 5 counters) without the need to have a cardfunction for each action taken (assigning 1 counter). And if we need to assign multiple single card functions that won't be used, then if it's possible to hide them completely (so they won't appear anywhere, even in the menu).

I know that you wish to avoid problems at all cost, but maybe there is a game where you have to assign numbers multiple of 5, or a game (like the one I've created) that every time you do a damage to a creature, that creature looses 1 point of his resistance. So in this case it is necessary not to assign the resistance of the creature as token, or assign it and every time that it receives a damage, click on +dmg and -res.
You can set a stat to X with the right click menu.

And I don't see a problem with adding a damage counter and subtracting a resistance counter. In real life, that's exactly what you would do. If it bothers you, I think the real issue is a game where there is too much counter actions. One solution is perhaps a more elegant counter system in the CCG design. As I said, you can add and remove different counters at the same time with one click if you make a canned message button.

billylee174

Quote from: Trevor on February 26, 2012, 06:11:18 PM
As I said, you can add and remove different counters at the same time with one click if you make a canned message button.

Now I understand what you mean, but unfortunately I can't use the /cN function. I have tested it in Linux and Windows, with 2 different plugins (magic and mine), using /cN and /cardfunctionN, with and without space. Does this function work? I have no problems with /fN

Trevor

Quote from: billylee174 on February 26, 2012, 09:53:01 PM
As I said, you can add and remove different counters at the same time with one click if you make a canned message button.

Now I understand what you mean, but unfortunately I can't use the /cN function. I have tested it in Linux and Windows, with 2 different plugins (magic and mine), using /cN and /cardfunctionN, with and without space. Does this function work? I have no problems with /fN
It's possible you aren't using it correctly. What is the exact syntax you are using?
Remember, card functions do nothing if no cards are selected.

billylee174

Quote from: Trevor on February 27, 2012, 02:54:00 AM

It's possible you aren't using it correctly. What is the exact syntax you are using?

Yes, I am selecting the cards, and these become unselected once I execute the canned message. I have used these syntax: /cN ; /CN ; /CardfuncionN ; /cardfunctionN ; /CardFunctionN. I believe that all of them with and without space (cN ; c N). I have tried different N numbers. For example I tried /c1

I have selected the cards clicking on them and selecting a group with the mouse both with and without pressing SHIFT (btw, what is this shift key for when selecting a group of cards? a red rectangle is shown instead of a yellow one). And yes, I checked that the cards were selected when entering the canned message.

Trevor

Quote from: billylee174 on February 27, 2012, 05:29:51 PM
Quote from: Trevor on February 27, 2012, 02:54:00 AM

Yes, I am selecting the cards, and these become unselected once I execute the canned message. I have used these syntax: /cN ; /CN ; /CardfuncionN ; /cardfunctionN ; /CardFunctionN. I believe that all of them with and without space (cN ; c N). I have tried different N numbers. For example I tried /c1

I have selected the cards clicking on them and selecting a group with the mouse both with and without pressing SHIFT (btw, what is this shift key for when selecting a group of cards? a red rectangle is shown instead of a yellow one). And yes, I checked that the cards were selected when entering the canned message.
There seems to be a bug with it. I am fixing it.