No time for love: A card game of romance

Each player has:
6 Unique Love Interests
3 Unique Romances
2 Unique Settings
40 Ploys
40 Counter-Ploys

Flow of startup:

• Shuffle you and your opponent's settings into a single pile, and draw one. This is the setting that will be used for the game.
  • Shuffle your six love interests and place them face down in three stacks of two.
  • Draw shuffle your romances and draw the first three romances you get. Remove the third from play. Place these romances, face up, in front of your love interests.
  • You and you opponent shuffle your plots into one pile. Draw the first plot-this is the plot that will be used for the game. Remove the rest of your plots from play.
  • Reveal your love interests- the romance and love interest pair formed is a 'pairing'.
  • Shuffle your deck and draw 7 cards. If you do not like your hand, you may reshuffle and draw 7 cards-only once-and must reveal the first three cards you draw.
Flow of the game:

• Draw phase: Both players draw cards until their hand contains 7 cards.
  • Sub Phase:Discard card(s) with a limited duration printed that run out this turn.
  • Focus Phase:Any cards which are tapped are un-tapped.
  • Ploy phases 1-3: Play ploys on your pairings, going from your left to your right. Your opponent plays their counter ploys, until neither you or your opponent decide to play a ploy on the current pairing. Then, you move on to the next pairing. Note: Cards which affect an opponent's romance will effect the facing pairing, unless the card states otherwise.
  • End Phase: It is now your opponent's turn.
Objective of the game:
When one player fulfills all three romances, that player wins the game.
If one player runs out of cards before the other, then the love points of the fulfilled romances are counted, with the player who ran out of cards suffering a -3 penalty. The player with the most love points wins.

The card types:[/u]

Love Interests
Have the following properties:
Name/Title:Used to distinguish different versions of the same card from each other.
Gender: No real game effects, but certain cards specify certain genders.
Attributes:
   -Social Power:How politically powerful the character is.
   -Personal Power:The fighting ability of the character.
   -Destiny #: How much fate looks out for the character.
   -Personality #:A number to discern between different personality types. Low='evil', high='good'.
Effects: A unique ability available only to that character.
Quote: No real benefit, but good for flavour.

Romances
Name
Fulfilment conditions: What must be done to fulfil the romance.
Break conditions: How to permanently fail a romance.
Love Points:How many points the romance is worth.

Ploys/Counter Ploys
Name
Type: Used to organize ploys. Some card effects may specify ploy types.
Requirements:What a member of a pairing must have in order to play the ploy.
Cost:What must be done in order to play a card, varies from card to card. For example, one card may require hand discard, while another may require you to turn one of your love interests face down for one turn-there is no mana system.
Effect:What the card does. Also specifies what is done with the card after use.
Quote:Again, for flavour.

What do people think?

I probably won't be able to develop it right now, but If I find the time I will make templates for people to use.

Trevor

You need a girlfriend, stat.

r0cknes

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but this is not something I would be interested in. Changing the theme might help a little...

Cyrus

I think Trevor did enough bubble bursting on his own...

I appreciate the unique setting for a ccg, but maybe you should consider making it a "play-out-of-the-box" type game. Seems fun to play with a girlfriend or some sort of lady person

Trevor

I was just making a joke. I wasn't really opining anything.

Cyrus

Quote from: Trevor on August 24, 2011, 04:04:01 PM
I was just making a joke. I wasn't really opining anything.

Oh I know, didn't mean to come off as if I didn't think it was funny, I actually lol'd at it

Trollhawke

Quote from: r0cknes on August 24, 2011, 07:56:39 AM
I don't mean to burst your bubble, but this is not something I would be interested in. Changing the theme might help a little...
So if the theme was changed to resolve around, for example, generals building the strength of their army, would that seem more appealing?

Quote from: Cyrus on August 24, 2011, 03:56:53 PM
I appreciate the unique setting for a ccg, but maybe you should consider making it a "play-out-of-the-box" type game. Seems fun to play with a girlfriend or some sort of lady person
Admittedly, that was the primary audience I was thinking of when coming up with the idea-in hindsight, it'd probably work better as an LCG rather than a CCG.

BrotherM

I think there is definitely room in the xCG marketplace for a theme different from dudes-fighting-each-other.  In fact, I think MaRo made reference a few times to a CCG based on relationships he had designed a long time ago but was never published.

If you're committed to this theme and have mechanics that elegantly match it, I say go for it.  But you will definitely be selling to a different market.

I wouldn't recommend using MtG-style mechanics for that game though.  You'll need something really fresh.

Dragoon

I find this interesting. You will need different mechanics and a aim at a different market, but I like when people are thinking different. Keep it up!