Issues with most recent Magic Plugin Update

Started by Mahx Michael, September 26, 2018, 06:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahx Michael

Dear @CrazyChucky, current host of the Magic plugin
First, thanks a lot for keeping the plugin going!
Second, I'm not 100% sure if this was added the most recent plugin, or one sometimes before that, but there are a few things that causes a bit of trouble with the new update.
I se that someone has already mentioned the problem with the oversised cards. The increased size of the card images are not ajusted in the hand and other zones, and a high precentage of the card stretches out of the canvas and it's just a complete mess. Also, with the increased card size, board state will get really cramped when the card count reaches 10 permanents, wich is actually quite often in Magic, particularly when you consider it's A THING in Rivals of Ixaland! While it might be easier to see what's on the card if you increase the card size, that's what everyone have been using the card scanner (the window to the left that shows whatever card you last held your mouse-pointer over) these past years, and now, that one's broken too (same problem with oversized cards).
One thing that I have not seen mentioned yet, and wich is actually even more urgent, is what the update has done with the counters. Instead of being a colored dot with a number on, now you get an icon for each counter you have, stacking on top of each other. Well, you might not see that as a problem when you only have one or two of them, but imagine what will happen if you had 20 of them. First they would go outside the space of the card, and cover whatever is located above it, then they'll go all the way to the top of your screen and beyond. The greatest problem with this is that you havn't implemented a function to keep all the counters on the card they belong to. Second is that, having 100 +1/+1 counters on a creature is also a thing in Magic, and having to count to one hudert every time you should check for the oportunity to deal leathal, is kind of a lot of work.

The original way of presenting counters was a lot more beneficial for the multiple things that can happen in a game of Magic, and I would apriciate if you turned them back to how they used to be.
As for the oversized card images, you might think this is a good idea, but not everyone agree with you. So if you could make it an option to play with the default card size, I would also apriciate that a lot. I don't know how two different card sizes will affect online play, because that majorly depends on how you implement it, so you might need to think about this as well.
Personally, I think that if you wan't bigger cards to improve image quality, please find a way to shrink them back, so that they fit the board and enviroment they where ment to be played in.

Thanks a lot for your hard work on the plugin, and I hope you will take my words to heart  :)

Your fellow internet user, Mahx Michael

Mahx Michael

Also, you mentioned that you planned to change the update url. When will this happen, and wich are currently in use?

CrazyChucky

Images should be back to the old size. I had to download all the thousands of images, resize them, and save them to my server to get it to work, but I did. However, you will need to delete, move, or rename your [Lackey folder]/plugins/magic/sets/setimages folder or else Lackey will keep using images you've already downloaded, including the large ones.

Note that if you're on Windows, you won't be able to delete the whole folder, because I didn't realize Windows protects folders named "con", and there's one in there. I'm trying to find a fix, but for now you could just rename the setimages folder or move it elsewhere so Lackey doesn't see it.

As for counters, go to Settings -> Appearance -> Card Appearance Preferences -> Select card counter style. Choose "Text over image" instead of "Images only". The Magic plugin does not change or set Lackey's display preferences, but sometimes Lackey does seem to spontaneously forget or change preferences.

Also, the update URL should not change in the foreseeable future.

Mahx Michael

Ratboy

LordPathos

Hello,
I'm not new to lackey, but I haven't used it years. Trying to get back into MTG but once I loaded the plugin, all I am getting are the new Ravnica cards. Am I missing something blatantly obvious?
Thanks

CrazyChucky

The deck editor had a "format" selector, and if I recall, it starts out on "standard" by default. Try changing that to "any".

LordPathos