Author Topic: Burning Planets ~ A free wargame  (Read 106 times)

The Hermit King

• View Profile
Burning Planets ~ A free wargame
« on: January 09, 2019, 05:30:18 pm »

Hello everyone! I'm here to show you the fruit of my latest efforts: Burning Planets, a strategic tabletop war game, with a space colonization setting, where the players fight using fleets of spaceships to get control of planets and, in the end, become the final conquerors of a planetary system!

I'm an artisan and a videogame programmer, and when I started creating the rules for this game as a game design exercise, I decided that I liked a lot how it came out, I think it's a fun game and it should be given a try by the lovers of the genre. Because of this, I prepared everything as a printable set, so with a color printer and some paper you can start playing right away! And for the same reason, the game is just free, and it always will be, I just want it to be played, I don't care for earning from it.

This is the game's page: https://www.thehermitking.com/burning-planets/

I hope many of you will try it, and if you do, tell me if you enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:03:53 pm by The Hermit King »

The Hermit King

• View Profile
Re: Burning Planets ~ A free wargame
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 10:31:09 am »
As I was asked from some players I added a dowloadable folder with all the game's files. Since the size was above my websites' max file size, I had to use an external hosting for it, hence the external link.

I also added some pictures to give a better idea of how the game looks without the need to look at the files.

xdarkgeox

• Creator of Mecha Warriors Card Game; Discord #5908
    • View Profile
    • Mecha Warriors Blogspot Site
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:08:34 pm »
interesting, got plans of making this into a plugin or something physical dont wanna print  :P

The Hermit King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:26:18 am »
I already prepared all the material needed to produce the game as a physical set, but I lack a vacuum chamber to cast it in resin.
Later today I will post a new blog entry on the website with a picture of the clay models, you can check it if you're interested.
I'm thinking on making a kickstarter with a low goal, just the cost of the equipment and materials that I need to start making the game as a physical set, but it's been out for just a few days, and kickstarter funding needs an estabilished community to work, so it looks a bit early.
Sice I make other crafts too (not yet posted but soon to come), I already placed in the bottom of the about page a donation link for anyone that doesn't want to buy stuff but just throw in a few bucks to help. Any money from that will be used for crafting, and first of the list is this game!

The Hermit King

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 12:00:16 pm »
I wrote the new post I was talking about, with pictures of the models for the physical set, if you or someone else is interested @xdarkgeox
https://www.thehermitking.com/developing-burning-planets-in-a-physical-game/

If interest continues to grow at this rate I will make a kickstarter campaign to fund the start of the game's production soon!

I also added a "Community" page in the main menu, where you can login/register to post comments!

EDIT: I changed the membership system, so now Community is the list of members, the login/registration is in a top bar like most forums now.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:03:33 pm by The Hermit King »

xdarkgeox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 01:53:43 pm »
noice looks pretty sweet, i do think that the game board should have space artwork instead of being plain white tiles.

The Hermit King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 05:13:55 pm »
Sure it should have space artwork, but it would mean using LOTS more ink when printing it, and I thought people wouldn't like that  :D
Anyway, since your suggestion I'll add another version of the tiles, with artwork but inverted colors: I mean white background and grayscale details, so it won't be too much ink consuming! Do you think this is a good enough solution?

xdarkgeox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 07:27:08 pm »
I think that would be fine, reason why I brought up artwork was for physical version to have astethic.

The Hermit King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 08:09:53 am »
Well that was a planned feature for the physical game, I just didn't invest in a prototype because it's straight forward enough, I just have to order from the printing site, while the planet grid and the buildings needed to be built. Anyway I just started working on alternative tiles for people that wants cooler background and aren't troubled by the ink used!

xdarkgeox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 04:40:54 pm »
ah nice thinking, alternative tiles gonna be so cool.

The Hermit King

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 07:05:35 pm »
Hey xdarkgeox, I posted colored and grayscale versions as I said! This link shows you the new post, where you can see the background art and some example images: https://www.thehermitking.com/upgrade-to-burning-planets-free-set/

I'll leave an example image, so people can get an idea without having to go see on my website if they don't feel like it:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:04:24 pm by The Hermit King »

xdarkgeox

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 12:17:09 pm »
Nice looks very good