News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

The Furious Five card game.

Started by xchokeholdx, September 23, 2011, 03:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xchokeholdx

Wait, what? XchokeholdX is back? well... never really left (lurk, lurk), but real life situation (2 kids 2.5 and 0.5 years) really makes your free time limited to half an hour a day, just after the kids are asleep and before dozing off yourself... heh.. but enough of the small talk..

I really wanted to start on a Zombie card game, one that would trump all others in design and awesomeness, but couldn't really get started on it due to no inspiration. All mechanics I could think of would make the game pretty complicated, and I really was looking to start a simpler game. Pretty much all card games I designed up to this point all started out pretty simple, but turned out to be rule-nightmares in the end, which really was not what I wanted.

after looking at the awesomeness and simplicity of the King Of Tokio game (look it up on BGG, its awesome), I found some new inspiration for a card game. The basic of the game is pretty much stolen from previous card games I made, but really, really stripped down to it's core, and with easier to understand rules and cards.

I also immediately knew the story/movie/art I would base this on. This pretty much prevents me from ever selling it (copyrights infringement!) , but maybe I can port the rules to self made (bought/free) art in the future.

So without further ado:

A card game, based on the Kung Fu Panda franchise.

I know you all are eager to see cards, but I have not started on card templates yet, still working out kinks in the rules first. And for that, I am asking for input from you guys/gals.

I am hoping to be able to fit the rules on just one sheet of paper, so unless your ideas are over the top awesomesause, I won't be adding "extra" stuff to it for now..

Basic easy to read rules for experienced cardfloppers.

? To win the game: Defeat 2 of your opponent's Warriors.
? Each players brings 3 different warriors to the game.
? Each combat is a one-to-one fight of 2 warriors.
? Each warrior is tied to one or more Signs (Paw, Claw, Lightning, Bamboo or Tooth)
? These signs are used to construct your combat deck (Your warrior can?t play combat cards he does not have the sign for).
? 3 card types: Warrior, Combat and the Dragon Warrior card.
? Warrior cards speak for themselves. They have the following stats:
- Life (you lose the combat if your warrior has 0 life)
- Chi (this is the starting "mana" each warrior has, which is used to pay for combat cards.
- Sign(s). Each warrior is tied to one or more signs.
- Starting hand. cards you start the combat with.
- Gametext.
? Combat cards are used to create your moves with to hit and block your opponent's moves. they have the following stats:
- Chi cost
- Attack value
- Defense value
- Sign(s)
There are also special combat cards, called Combo cards. They are used to create a special combo move, doing some awesome effects.
they all require you to discard one or more combat cards from play (with the correct Signs) to get the effect.
? The Dragon Warrior card.
At the start of each game, randomly decide which player gets the Dragon warrior card. This card has some special text (minor effect).
The player with the dragon warrior card resolves all of their effects first if there is ever a timing issue.
for example, 2 effects trigger at the same time: "Discard a combat card from play" effect VS "Return a combat card from your discard pile back to play" effect. The player with the Dragon warrior card resolves his effect first.
After a warrior is defeated, the loser gains control of the Dragon Warrior card.

Turn structure:

A:Dragon Scroll (randomly decide at the start of the game, otherwise the loser of a combat gains control of it)
B:Choose warrior (both players choose 1 warrior to fight, then simultaneously reveal them) players gain their warrior's starting Chi and cards in hand.
C:Combat:
1. Draw step (draw 2 cards, gain 2 Chi)
2. Play step (play 1 combat card) Both players play a combat (or combo) card face down and revel them at the same time)
3. combat step (resolve combo cards, then resolve combat) if your ATT is higher than opponent's DEF, you deal a wound.
D:Victory! (if a warrior has equal or more wounds that he or she has life, the warrior lost this combat.). Discard all cards from play and start a new round.

Chi (mana as you will) is managed by using face down cards from your deck. so if you have 5 chi, make a pile of 5 face down cards from your deck to use. there is no mana pool, awkward tokens or dice needed.

Sample cards to give you some mental thingy to play with:

Sample Warrior card:
Tai Lung, Broken but not Defeated
Signs: Claw, Tooth
Chi: 5
Starting hand: 6
Life: 4
Text: Each time you finish a combo, remove one wound from Tai Lung.

Sample Combat card:
Paw Block
sign: Paw
ATT: 0
Def: 2
Chi cost: 1
gametext: -

Sample Combo card:
Young Crane Stomp of Rivers
Sign: Lighting
Att: 3
Def: 0
Chi cost: 3
gametext: Bamboo-Bamboo-Bamboo: Finish this combo to discard the top 5 cards of your draw deck. Deal 1 wound to opponent's warrior for each Bamboo card discarded this way.

-----------------------------------------------

Some concerns I have:

A combat could go stale, with both players having too much "DEF" to overcome. This could be just a matter of card creation, but maybe someone has an idea of overcoming this? (direct damage is a possible way, see sample card above, but I do not want to force player to have this.)..

ANY comment is appreciated!

innuendo

I understand the balancing aspect of giving the loser the dragon warrior card, but It would be much more thematic if it was obtained via victory or some other path.

I'll ponder the rest later.

Cyrus

The only thing I'm unclear on is the way combos work... how do you complete them?

For the DEF thing... you can make sure to design with DEF being higher costed, so you have to really decide if its worth not getting wounded, alongside certain types of attacks negating all defense for that strike.

I like it though! Keep it up

xchokeholdx

Quote from: Cyrus on September 24, 2011, 03:55:51 AM
The only thing I'm unclear on is the way combos work... how do you complete them?

For the DEF thing... you can make sure to design with DEF being higher costed, so you have to really decide if its worth not getting wounded, alongside certain types of attacks negating all defense for that strike.

I like it though! Keep it up

Combo's.

Immediately after you have revealed your combat card, you check if any player played a Combo card. (you play either a combat card or a combo card). Combo cards also have ATT and DEF values, but that is of course not why you play them....

After you reveal a combo card, you check if you meet the requirements. Usually it is a series of Signs you need to have in play to complete a combo.

for example: You have 3 combat cards in play with the Bamboo sign and you play:

Young Crane Stomp of Rivers
Sign: Lighting
Att: 3
Def: 0
Chi cost: 3
gametext: Bamboo-Bamboo-Bamboo: Finish this combo to discard the top 5 cards of your draw deck. Deal 1 wound to opponent's warrior for each Bamboo card discarded this way.

You discard those combat cards in play and use this card's gametext to hopefully deal a lot of wounds to your opponent's warrior. After that, you only have one combat card in play (this combo card) and you follow the resolution of normal combat. (you check your ATT vs your opponent's DEF and visa-versa.)

hope this made more sense.

xchokeholdx

hmmm, forgot to mention that every combat card you play will STAY IN PLAY. So you will slowly build up some combat cards (unless you use a combo card that is, which you WILL), and add up ATT/DEF at the end of each combat round.

so a player Y could have in play (ATT/DEF):
A: 1/2
B: 2/2

and have a total attack of 3, with a defense of 4.

his opponent player Z could have in play:
A: 2/2
B: 3/1
total ATT: 5, total DEF: 3

At the end of combat, player Y would receive a wound (4 DEF vs 5 ATT). Player Z would not receive a wound (3 ATT vs 3 DEF)