News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

CCG Strategy Guide PDF Design

Started by Ascent, September 30, 2011, 12:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ascent

I've been wondering for a while now about how to go about designing a strategy guide for a card game. I've never read the card game magazines, so I don't know how such a project would work.

Does anyone have any links to PDF copies of strategy guides? What would you want to see in a strategy guide specially designed for your favorite CCG/TCG?

Turonik

I've seen a few older ones from a website that I think I lost the link to. if I happen to find it again I'll post them up here.

But as for a strategy guide, my biggest tip for you is to be broad with the strategies for the given game. Meaning- even if you happen to only play fast decks (like blitz, swarm, ect) you shouldn't only just  give tips for that style of play. You should also give tips on how to do control or decks that are unique to that particular game.

Also give tips on how to play against the different deck types. Try not to be too specified in this either. like "just use card X against it" but do something like "conserve your cards and don't over extend your resources."

Next if the game has things like factions, give an in depth look at each strength and weaknesses and the particular play styles they appeal to.

Finally, just general deck building tips for the game (ie, how much resources,  characters ect but also do " look at the cost of the cards your putting in and make sure your able to play most of them easily enough. you don't want a deck of expensive cards that end up just taking up space in your hand.")

Even if the tips sounds like "Well duh" to you, the guides are meant to be for new players of the game.

Ascent

Good points. That gives me a starting point for the guide. Much appreciated. I can also go through all the online articles for my game to find any useful tips along the lines of those you mentioned. I have a few articles I've written that I can use in that regard, so I'm sure I'll find a wealth among the other articles. And of course, though not specific on every card used for such strategies, a specific example where such can be applied will be helpful, no doubt.

Ascent

By the way, if you do find those strategy guides, I would very much like to see them. Thanks.  :)

Turonik

http://www.chirographum.com/tolenmar/

He doesn't have very many different games listed but google is your friend for some of the other games out there, heck, I even found a site for wcw nitro once...

Ascent

I sent you a PM, but the "My Messages" link is so small, I don' know if you saw it.

Thanks for the link.

Ascent

I'm cooking with gas now. I didn't realize how much I already had written that was useful for a Strategy Guide. I also hit the jackpot regarding deck types on Wikipedia in a M:tG article. It really rounded this out. It also included information on Deck Optimization. I also had a ton of knowledge just waiting to be written down. The book is populating nicely.

yudencow

What should be the table of contents for a strategy guide for a card game?