News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Question on Designing

Started by Himalayas, September 30, 2011, 08:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himalayas

I was curious if it would be possible to create a card game that uses different mechanics but uses a well established idea? For example I always thought it would be awesome to make a Jurassic Park CCG. This of course would just be fan made, and a possible plugin for lackeyccg. Or would that violate any agreements with lackey or cause any legal issue with universal studios (JP right?)?

Another question on this, if it is not an issue, would people be interested in a Jurassic Park Fan Made Customizable Card Game?

innuendo

Could you make it for personal use and never run into any problems, Probably.

Could you at any time get with with a CnD from the IP holder, yes (but really that just results in you stopping, nothing else).

Would I play a JP based ccg, depends on the game really!

Himalayas

Quote from: innuendo on September 30, 2011, 08:48:10 PM

Could you at any time get with with a CnD from the IP holder, yes (but really that just results in you stopping, nothing else).

I'm not familiar with the lingo of this sentence please explain more?

Ascent

Copyright and trademark infringements are the issue. But thankfully, Stephen Spielberg only concerns himself with losing money or making sure no one else is making money on his ideas without his permission. As long as he's not losing money, or his reputation isn't damaged, he doesn't care what you do. But if you do happen to ever receive a cease and desist, all you have to do is pull the game and you're okay.

Generally fan works are ignored. The big boys aren't interested in wasting their cash and resources on petty and frivolous lawsuits. You are technically infringing, but really, they don't care.

Himalayas

Cool thanks for the replies and answers guys, expect soon another thread concerning JPFMCCG (Jurassic Park Fan Made Customizable Card Game)!

Cyrus

I've always liked the idea of doing fan games based on franchises, if only because certain shows/movies/etc would make such good card games. Lost and Harry Potter are still on my list of things to make kick-ass games for

Himalayas

Later when I have more time to sit down I'll post my basic concept and get a good brainstorm thread going. I love to hear other people's input and ideas.

I agree Cyrus, good fan made cards and games are awesome. Often times in my experience fan games/expansions really enhance the experience as well as the quality of the franchise.

innuendo

Quote from: Himalayas on October 01, 2011, 01:05:59 AM
Quote from: innuendo on September 30, 2011, 08:48:10 PM

I'm not familiar with the lingo of this sentence please explain more?

Cease and Desist is a letter from a property holder informing you to stop doing what you are doing or they will press charges.  It's essentially a "shot across the bow" of fan projects.  No real ramifications other than you have to stop. The other posters are correct, the likelyhood of this happening is slim, you should be fine.

Trevor

Quote from: Cyrus on October 01, 2011, 02:57:50 PM
I've always liked the idea of doing fan games based on franchises, if only because certain shows/movies/etc would make such good card games. Lost and Harry Potter are still on my list of things to make kick-ass games for
The last expansion of Lost CCG shouldn't make any sense.

Cyrus

Quote from: Trevor on October 01, 2011, 11:59:57 PM
Quote from: Cyrus on October 01, 2011, 02:57:50 PM
The last expansion of Lost CCG shouldn't make any sense.

Hahahahaha x2. I hated the last season... well... I kinda hated everything but the first 3 seasons