News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica Board Game plugin

Started by Trevor, November 04, 2011, 05:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

There's a great board game for Battlestar Galactica.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=18&enmi=Battlestar%20Galactica

I am trying to make complex board games able to be played (well) on Lackey. So I decided to make a plugin for the battlestar galactica board game as a proof of concept.

I am looking for people who know how to play this game, and are willing to test out the plugin with me. I'm not necessarily talking about playing games, but at least talking about how things work, running through parts of the game as practice, and in general making sure lackey supports everything to make playing the game work.

I've played the game once (in real life) and it was cool.

Let me know if you are interested.

If this sort of game can run well on Lackey, people can start making plugins for ideally any kind of game played on a table. I've already made a few changes, inspired by me studying BSG. For example, the game uses tons of little decks, so Lackey now better supports this by having game zone tabs automatically resize based on the allotted space. That's the sort of thing I want to learn from this experiment: how I can improve Lackey to make it more powerful and versatile.

Totharious

Actually there is already a tool to play complex Board games like this.  The website is http://www.vassalengine.org/
It has many plugins and support from developers including Fantasy Flight.

Trevor

I've tried Vassal and I think it's pretty crappy.

I'm trying to get Lackey able to run all games you can play on a table, and able to be virtually played as well as possible.

Totharious

I found it to be an ok tool.  But, I'll gladly test Lackey Playing BSG.

Trevor

Quote from: Totharious on November 18, 2011, 11:32:13 PM
I found it to be an ok tool.  But, I'll gladly test Lackey Playing BSG.
Cool. I'll send it to you as soon as I post the new Lackey. The new lackey handles tons of mini decks a lot better than the one you have, and that is needed with a game like BSG board game.

Dosmodious BlackJack

BSG is great.... if you need help with it let me know through my e-mail or this thread... I've since canceled my AIM because... well, it's AIM.

phoebus4

i've just started using lackey (its made out of awesome), but BSG is one of my favorite boardgames.  if you need any help with playtesting, i'd be happy to do anything to help you get this plugin up and running!

Jynks

If you want to teach it.. myself and a mate will play.

Dabem

I think I have a play group that might be interested in playing the BSG board game. I would be happy to help test it.

Trevor

I'm posting this for testing purposes. I don't know if it is playable but I believe it is. Contact me if you have trouble figuring stuff out.

http://lackeyccg.com/bsgboardgame/bsgboardgame.zip

Dabem

Ooh this is exciting. It looks like a very comprehensive plugin. It might take a little bit of figuring my way around it but I think it'll be worth it.

I only had two problems with the plugin so far.
1. There was no bsgboardgame.jpg image which i presume was the actual board itself.

2. When I tried to load the start.txt file it said "error loading saved game make sure your 'saved' directory is present.

Trevor

Quote from: Dabem on February 08, 2012, 08:43:37 PM
Ooh this is exciting. It looks like a very comprehensive plugin. It might take a little bit of figuring my way around it but I think it'll be worth it.

I only had two problems with the plugin so far.
1. There was no bsgboardgame.jpg image which i presume was the actual board itself.

2. When I tried to load the start.txt file it said "error loading saved game make sure your 'saved' directory is present.
I altered the download. It now includes the bsgboardgame.jpg background, which you need to put in your Lackey's images/backgrounds/ folder.

I fixed the start.txt. Try downloading the plugin again. Note that there is a rulebook included, so you can type /rulebook in the log.

It isn't in the lackey you have, but there is a new function called "/shufflealldecks" that will shuffle every deck. That should be used after starting a new game.

Dabem

is it in the feb 9th release or is it still yet to come?

Trevor

Quote from: Dabem on February 10, 2012, 12:03:00 AM
is it in the feb 9th release or is it still yet to come?
/shufflealldecks is now live.

jorch72

Hi Trevor...

I have a problem with the background jpg.
I only get a white square when I try to load big backgrounds (over 800 pixels), no just this one.
Would you happen to know why? How to fix this?
Do I have to open the image with an image editor and scale it down to 800px?

Thanks!