News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

MTG Precon Tournament

Started by netfirecat, December 31, 2009, 01:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aardvark

I've never played in a tourney before so I guess I might give it a go. Just to see how I do.

netfirecat

Hmm, i'd say any 60 card precon except Sliver-build decks. With the booster idea, that i like... Instead of a sideboard or multiple decks, the players get boosters but stay under their limit. Is there some way to make sure someone doesn't try to say they got a card from a booster yet didn't?

Aardvark, a tourney is pretty fun. Depending on the number in it decides which type to hold.

Tokimo

The tournament organizer could generate the boosters and give them to participants. :/ Honor System. Get a 3rd party to generate boosters.

netfirecat

Hm, true. Of those playing, there are 3 choices: 1 deck with a 15 card sideboard, 3 decks with one of them being the primary or each round winner gets a booster.

There are two types of tourney i've seen: Swedish, and Original. In both, the winner of each round is best 2 out of 3. Swedish: everyone plays 3 rounds. Each match victory or tie gets a point. Top 4, 8 or, if there's enough, 16 face off to elimination. Original is just straight elimination. If it's decided winner gets a booster of their choice, Swedish would be better for it. It all depends on the number of players.

netfirecat

For those willing to play in the Precon tourney, message me with your opinion between 3 Precon, 1 precon with a 15 card sideboard, or 1 Precon with the winner of each round getting a 15 card booster to alter the deck with. If the third is chosen, the deck can be altrered only between rounds, not matches. Depending on the outcome of players on which tourney i choose: Swedish or Original.

Also send me your selection of 3 decks and which is your primary. As reminders, in a  3-deck game, the primary is the first deck in a round. If a single deck tourney is chosen, your primary will be used. When you message in, you will be responded with a number. At 0100 central time Monday morning, after that when i sign back on, i will accept no more applications. When i sign on, i will send out messages to those in it stating your opponent, signle or multiple decks and such. All decks are allowed except for under ones under 60 and Slivers. Allowed includes the Jace vs Chandra, Liliana vs Garruk and the Elf vs Goblin decks. I will be playing in the tourney, too.

GnKoichi

Just so you know, the tournament structure is called "Swiss" not "Swedish". The opposite is, of course "Elimination", though I've never seen it referred to as "Original". Not trying to be a know-it-all.

netfirecat

thank you for the corrections

Tokimo

I'm concerned about allowing the duel decks in. Those are relatively well made decks that I think are actually better than the sliver decks... (actually, the first two sliver decks are real trash too).

netfirecat

they duel decks are great in the right hands, but that's true with any deck. With me, Jace is a nightmare to fight, but Chandra usually turns belly up... I blocked the slivers because with just two cards changed, they are nearly unstopable, even early decks

Tokimo

Which sliver deck and which two cards?

netfirecat

Idk, friend of mine at school used to do it to me all the time, borrow one of my sliver precons and smear me with it...

GnKoichi

Hey all. I can be on anytime after 6 on weekdays EST or most any time on weekends. Let me know if there's a time you'll be one and we can play.

I want to make sure I understand how the three-deck thing works. You play round 1 and you have to use the deck you marked as primary, right? Then both players have to switch to a second deck? Then if it goes to round 3, you both have to switch to your last decks (no going back to your first deck, no using the same deck twice in a row)? Is that correct?

Tokimo

Here I assumed you had to use your primary, then you could use any of the three for the next 1-2 matches.

netfirecat

Valid question. Primary is used first, then one may switch if they want or they may keep their primary. What doesn't change is the decks' construction cannot change.

GnKoichi

Ah, I see. My misunderstanding. On now if people want to play.