I just posted a new version of Lackey, build date 11-23-11. Post bugs here.

Started by Trevor, November 23, 2011, 08:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

innuendo

You are making an assumption about the role of card names based on previous games Trevor. It's easy to differentiate cards by something other than name, and I would say the other way games do it isn't necessarily the best way. In my game for example you would say "Greek Mine" or "Roman Mine"

Mine is the card's name. Greek or Roman is it's allegiance. Both are identical cards save different allegiances. It makes sense to name the card based off it's identical function, the allegiance is just a tag that changes how that specific copy of the card interacts with other card effects. I guess I would update it so the plugin has those cards as "Mine (greek)" But it would really be preferable to not have to do that.

If it's not practical it's not a big deal. I just wasn't sure if there was some easy way to control that unique ID from the plugin level so I would have to go tagging card names to preserve uniqueness.

Trevor

Quote from: innuendo on November 27, 2011, 10:46:57 AM
You are making an assumption about the role of card names based on previous games Trevor. It's easy to differentiate cards by something other than name, and I would say the other way games do it isn't necessarily the best way. In my game for example you would say "Greek Mine" or "Roman Mine"

Mine is the card's name. Greek or Roman is it's allegiance. Both are identical cards save different allegiances. It makes sense to name the card based off it's identical function, the allegiance is just a tag that changes how that specific copy of the card interacts with other card effects. I guess I would update it so the plugin has those cards as "Mine (greek)" But it would really be preferable to not have to do that.

If it's not practical it's not a big deal. I just wasn't sure if there was some easy way to control that unique ID from the plugin level so I would have to go tagging card names to preserve uniqueness.
I don't want to get into a semantics debate. If you need to call a card "Greek Mine" in Lackey, you can still think of the card's name as simply "Mine" if you want to.
Cards need to be distinguished from one another. Either you do something like I require (where unique cards have unique names), or you have a more complicated way that makes it more difficult to communicate. It's just an abstract labeling.

As an aside, I think it's just sloppy design to give cards the same names. It's confusing, and shows a lack of imagination. There are a number of ways to do things, from subtitles (like Decipher's lotr), to appending labels (like WOTC Star Wars), to just different names (like magic).

innuendo

the allegiance can be seen as essentially a subtitle, so what you propose, I'm already doing. But I don't want to have to put the allegiance in the card name data field for all cards (that would be messy and long).

Like I said, it's a small issue, and it's easy enough to work around.

Saethori

For the given Mine example, you could, say;

Append the allegiance to the name in some fashion (such as "[Greek] Mine", or "Mine (Roman)")...
Differentiate the card names, relying on other zones to tell you the difference ("Mine (1)" and "Mine (2))...
Or simply fuse them into the same card, and have the card itself gain some property that says it has dual allegiance.

Also note that you can also use truncated labels for nations to cut down on text in given fields. Instead of typing out [Greek] all the time, you could just use [Gr].

The issue of cards sharing a name is a tricky one, but one each card game has to get over in its own way. Unique identifiers is only really ever a problem if the set somehow requires multiple different cards in the same set, as the Pok?mon plugin tends to do. (Including multiple variations of particular Mons in the same set in that game occurs basically every set. The primary unique identifier was actually removed in later sets. >_>; )

innuendo

yup, that's always been the workaround, I was just discussion the option to not need to do that.

Thanks.

Not sure what you did to add more special character support, but it seems to have broken an o with umlaut that was previously working in my shadowfist setlist.  How should special characters be encoded in set lists now?

This is the entry that used to work, but doesn't now:

Möbius Gardens (648)   thronewar   mobius_gardens_tw   Netherworld Feng Shui Site   0         0   1   7   When one or more opponents generate or gain Power from an Event played by an opponent, you gain 1 Power.   "We have to pay for the gardener's psychiatrist, but it's worth it."      Melissa Benson   Site   Feng Shui Site   Common   N    möbiu möbius garden gardens netherworld

Thanks, 31415

Saethori

Quote from: 31415 on November 30, 2011, 10:26:10 PM
Not sure what you did to add more special character support, but it seems to have broken an o with umlaut that was previously working in my shadowfist setlist.  How should special characters be encoded in set lists now?

Based on what I talked to Trev about (and he can expand more upon this if needed), the change isn't so much special character support as it is special character importing. Which is to say, the client is more capable of converting the "?" in m?bius into an ordinary "o". The client itself still has difficulty using these symbols, so if you already cut out all the umlauts and acute marks and the like from your plugin, you should leave them out.

(As you might guess, I kind of had to learn a lot about this change, because a certain special character factors pretty heavily in my plugin. >_>; )

Trevor

The issue is the font set I have only supports basic ASCII. There are an infinite number of potential fonts, so no system could support everything, but I am using a set of fonts that only support ASCII.

Funky characters have never been supported, so I don't know what you mean by the change broke your umlauts.

Fair enough; I can hunt around and make the necessary changes.

I may be misremembering that the umlauts worked; I don't have an older version of Lackey handy to go back and check.  I do know that I had several decks built and stored with a particular card, which appeared in the deck editor.  With the latest version of Lackey, I started seeing an error message about it, and my saved decks no longer included it.  So something resulted in the name of the card changing.

Easy enough to fix the plugin anyway.

Thanks,

Trevor

Quote from: 31415 on December 04, 2011, 07:11:56 AM
Fair enough; I can hunt around and make the necessary changes.

I may be misremembering that the umlauts worked; I don't have an older version of Lackey handy to go back and check.  I do know that I had several decks built and stored with a particular card, which appeared in the deck editor.  With the latest version of Lackey, I started seeing an error message about it, and my saved decks no longer included it.  So something resulted in the name of the card changing.

Easy enough to fix the plugin anyway.

Thanks,
How things should work now is a funky character will be imported as a standard ASCII character if possible, like ? will be imported as a u. If you have a deck that you think is an example of a bug, send it to me and I will investigate.

ghostdragon

Counters aren't showing up on cards in the LOTR plugin.

Also, if a card is played most of the way over another card the two cards won't line up length-wise.

dasexiestpinky

I also seem to be having a problem with the server no one can see me chatting to them i also have a mac. i can make games and they can connect put they dont respond to me at all and they believe im ignoring them and wont play how do i fix this?

Hyphen-ated

I have a hilarious problem with this version! In the windows registry I've "unbound" my windows key so it doesn't do anything, and I use it for my push-to-talk key in voip programs. When I updated lackey and pressed my windows key, it activated ALL of the bindable functions that are not bound to anything! It does all of these all at once:
disconnect from server
disconnect from game
revert to autosave 1
revert to autosave 2
clear log
clear table
toggle hidden play mode
etc

It's as if lackey is thinking "this key does nothing, and these functions are all bound to nothing, so when the nothing key is pressed, do them all"!  ;D

I worked around it by binding some other key combination to all those blank lines and that removed the windows key from all of them. I still have a bunch of blank lines now in the key bindings screen, but lackey no longer thinks my windows key should trigger any of them.

Trevor

Quote from: dasexiestpinky on December 06, 2011, 07:38:26 PM
I also seem to be having a problem with the server no one can see me chatting to them i also have a mac. i can make games and they can connect put they dont respond to me at all and they believe im ignoring them and wont play how do i fix this?
Talk to me on some IM client and we can trouble shoot. PM me for more info.

Trevor

Quote from: Hyphen-ated on December 10, 2011, 12:28:40 AM
I have a hilarious problem with this version! In the windows registry I've "unbound" my windows key so it doesn't do anything, and I use it for my push-to-talk key in voip programs. When I updated lackey and pressed my windows key, it activated ALL of the bindable functions that are not bound to anything! It does all of these all at once:
disconnect from server
disconnect from game
revert to autosave 1
revert to autosave 2
clear log
clear table
toggle hidden play mode
etc

It's as if lackey is thinking "this key does nothing, and these functions are all bound to nothing, so when the nothing key is pressed, do them all"!  ;D

I worked around it by binding some other key combination to all those blank lines and that removed the windows key from all of them. I still have a bunch of blank lines now in the key bindings screen, but lackey no longer thinks my windows key should trigger any of them.
I will need to investigate this further. It's possible your windows settings are done improperly, and it's also possible that the API I use for key input is bugged. Or it's also possible that there is a bug in Lackey. Please talk to me in some IM client some time and I can troubleshoot.