News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Problem with updatelist.txt

Started by fr0sch, November 30, 2011, 07:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fr0sch

Hi,
I'm currently working at the LackeyPlugin for the TCG a friend of mine and me are creating.
The plugin itself works fine, but I can't get the automatic update with the updatelist.txt to work. It keeps saying: "ERROR: Unable to download a valid updatelist.txt".

I'm sure I entered the correct link - if I enter the same link in my browser, I get to see the file. So something has to be wrong with the file itself, but I absolutely can't see what. Everything is delimited by tabs, the checksums are there, the files are where they are supposed to be... Maybe someone can tell me :)

Thanks in advance,
fr0sch

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

ani-mayhem

The year needs to be 2 digits.

fr0sch

Thanks alot. Now everything works perfect :)

fr0sch

Okay, it doesn't work as perfect as I first thought it would:
Now, updating works. It updates carddata.txt and the other files as it should, but it doesn't update the card images.
Here is what I did:
I copied the new carddata.txt and the images to where they have been before, overwriting the old ones. Created a newly checksummed updatelist.txt and updated it as well. Then, I ran the update in Lackey.

ani-mayhem

You can inlclude them with checksums, http://lackeyccg.com/tutorialplugin.html#updatelist , or delete your local copy and download them again.

ani-mayhem

Also, your card images and the card back aren't the same dimensions.

fr0sch

Is there no other way to do it?
Would be annoying for people who use the plugin if they had to delete the images each time they update the plugin (and this will be often as where still in early testing).

And about the checksum: In his Tutorial, Trevor writes that you should NOT use the checksum method for the images. Why?

And thanks for the hint with the cardback.

Trevor

Quote from: fr0sch on December 03, 2011, 04:41:07 PM
Is there no other way to do it?
Would be annoying for people who use the plugin if they had to delete the images each time they update the plugin (and this will be often as where still in early testing).

And about the checksum: In his Tutorial, Trevor writes that you should NOT use the checksum method for the images. Why?

And thanks for the hint with the cardback.
Calculating checksums for thousands of files takes a lot of time and there is no way around that. That's why checksums aren't used on card images.

The only issue with card images is if you change a card image. This would only happen if the plugin maker made a mistake or if the initial card scan was really crappy and got replaced. But there are several ways to accommodate this.
Here are a few options:

Using an uninstall.txt, you can remove files locally, and when they are next needed, the new (correct) one will download.

You can rename the file image in the card data file. So when Lackey tries to load the new card image file, it won't find it, and the new (correct) one will therefore be downloaded. This method alone will orphan the old image files, but with modern computer hard drive sizes, this isn't a big problem.

You an just have people delete their card images folder. If you do this, I suggest you store your cardback.jpg and spawned.jpg in your plugin's root folder, or your plugin's sets/ folder, just so it doesn't also get deleted. Those 2 files can be stored in a number of places and things will work fine.