News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Better handling of varying card types

Started by innuendo, December 20, 2011, 12:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

innuendo

So i've thought about this while trying to translate a card heavy board game of my to lackey and I realize what I want that I think would apply to a lot of plugin makers.

Different card details for different card types. This is especially true in board games I think where some cards may share almost no common traits with other cards. I'm honestly not sure how it would work since we as plugin makers don't have to define card fields any longer. But it would be nice as a board game plugin maker if I could have 2 "sets" essentially: Creature Cards and Player Cards.

They each would have their own tab delineated file structure, and i'm sure there are many trickling down effects of this. My point is, this ability to easily sort data this way would be a great boon to me. Think of a game like catan, the tiles are nothing like the resource cards, but lackey treats them similar. And I can see it useful in games like mtg who might want to split out split and flip cards so that their data is properly formatted for search and organization.

Just some thoughts to see what you thought about possibly adding this level of flexibility.

Thanks

Gordon228

i could help you on this but as i see it you can already do this if how i think you want it as 2 zones it would be doable but you are to vague for me.

r0cknes

I think he is talking about the actual deck editor handling 2 or more carddata.txt and the don't have to have the same data columns. right?

innuendo

r0cknes

I like that idea. It is not completely necessary, but it would certainly add aesthetic value to the program. Easier navigation while building decks, and also make it easier to view all of the attributes of a particular card. I know Trevor could add this feature, because he is awesome. Up to him though. ;D

Trevor

I'm not sure if this is actually an improvement. There are pros and cons. Right now, you can (and should imo) just add the 2 different card kinds in your card data files. Suppose you have character cards (that have a "vitality" stat) and spell cards (that don't have a vitality stat). You would just leave the entry for the vitality column blank for all spell cards. Right now, when you mouse over a card to read its data, if any field of it is blank, it doesn't show it to you.

The only times you would see the extra columns is the deck editor, and there isn't a good way around that.

innuendo

You're correct, that is what I do currently, and I did notice that the empty fields are omitted on mouse over, so that's nice.

This was mostly on a plugin maker side of things not having to populate fields at all and the program just assuming they are blank or omitted for that card or something.

You are correct, it's different, possibly not better or worse.