News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Tokens?

Started by Channelfurball, January 02, 2010, 08:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Channelfurball

I noticed the Magic: The Gathering plugin comes with no tokens. I know you can spawn blank cards, but I'm not impressed with how this looks/works. Right now, I'm keeping cards I don't play with in my sideboard for tokens, but I'm not really satisfied with that either. I was wondering if there is a separate source for a 'tokens pack' or something to that effect (I doubt it) or, and I can already guess there's no way it will be this easy, there is a simple way to just, say, create a card in paint and then save it as a jpeg and insert it in some folder along with some simple coding in another file? I'll admit, I'm pretty ignorant on the subject, but I've looked through the Lackey files and it all looks pretty simple. Also, quite a few of my favourite land arts are missing from this plugin and I was wondering if I could just copy them and add them too. Ideas, anyone?

aardvark

Tokens are easy. Right-click on the card and add the appropriate amount of tokens, or take away. What lands are you talking about? I don't think I've found any missing cards yet.

Tokimo

He means these:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=magic%20token&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

If the plugin creator so wanted to he could have added token cards and a token bucket, but neither of those were done. Certainly I don't think there would be a nicer way to do it that wouldn't be a complete PITA for both the user and Trevor (the developer).

aardvark

Ah creature tokens why didn't ya say so? *whistles innocently*

Well, if they so desire there are such token cards to be found here.

Unfortunately, because I have yet to put any of my ideas into plugin form, I do not know just how easy/difficult/anywhere in between it is to put these into the game. I'm glad the netrunner plugin creator had the forethought to add similar token cards to the plugin, otherwise I do think it would have been quite difficult, if not frustrating, to try to work around tracing the runner.

Tokimo

On the lands (almost missed this): Once again this is because of how the plugin creator did things, and because of how trevor did things. Lackey decks don't allow duplicate names. Because of this if there's a card in two sets, Lackey will respect it when you say "use the copy of this card from 4th edition" or "use the copy of this card from M2010". However, if you try to place both kinds in your deck Lackey will just add a second copy of the first one. What this means is that to get Lackey to let you add all of the lands (and actually pick which graphics to show) the cards would need to be named things like forest-ia-a or plains-rav-b.

aardvark

is confuzzled

I guess they remedied that because I've been able to use all the different forests that I place into the deck. Or so I thought, ow, you made me think dammit.

Channelfurball

I'm of the belief that these two features were not included for the same reason: namely, that it would have taken even longer to create the plugin had they made all the tokens and, ESPECIALLY, four times as many land cards as they did. I do not fault the creators for this in the least (though I do wish they had chosen different arts when two sets contained the same ones : / and different arts, in general for some sets) - quite to the contrary: I completely understand how a project like this can get out of hand, but I should think there would be updates for new sets, and that somewhere in there a tokens 'pack' or something to that effect could have been/could be slipped in. I've read the thing about alternate land arts per each set before, so I was aware of that, but it doesn't really seem like a PROBLEM, per se, just that it wasn't done. That's why I was wondering if anyone knew if I could just add them myself without completely throwing off the plugin. It isn't difficult to copy a card image, edit it to the correct size and save it as a jpeg in the correct folder. Nor is anything in the text documents very complicated looking. I was simply wondering what all was involved in editing/adding to a plugin in this way - or if it was even possible at all without destroying the plugin - or if I would have to create an entirely new set for the tokens or something (which doesn?t seem likely to me). I saw on some site tokens that someone had made themselves for Lackey as an addition to the Magic plugin, so it seems it can be done, but it was weird because their addition included things that didn't seem to be 1) related or 2) anything different than what the plugin already had, though other parts had obvious effect - which is what made me wonder, in the first place, if there was more involved than it seemed.

aardvark

As far as copying is concerned, yes you can simply edit another image to match the dimensions. I tested this with netrunner; one of the images was rather fuzzy so I found another one, resized it and replaced the original.

Now, the plugin is another matter. This should provide some insight into how to modify the plugin. I hope.

Hope that helps.

Channelfurball

Ooo, I hadn't actually thought of that - I was more concerned about the token issue than the land art, which was kind of a wish than an immediate concern, but you're right, there is nothing stopping anyone from switching card arts out 1-for-1. That's at least one option; unfortunately, it isn't my primary concern at the moment.

Tokimo

Quote from: Channelfurball on January 03, 2010, 07:37:29 AM
Ooo, I hadn't actually thought of that - I was more concerned about the token issue than the land art, which was kind of a wish than an immediate concern, but you're right, there is nothing stopping anyone from switching card arts out 1-for-1. That's at least one option; unfortunately, it isn't my primary concern at the moment.

If you mean replacing Muscle Sliver with Squirrel Token, yes there is. If you're playing online your opponent sees their copy of the image for the card, not yours. So you'd see Card A, they'd see card B, confusion would erupt.

You can however perform some modifications to the plugin without the world exploding (I use this trick to make my magic plugin show an edit note button that I can click once to bring up the edit note window)

Channelfurball

Well, I've been experimenting with swapping out card arts and I think I'm pretty satisfied with the effect it's having - as for other players seeing cards other than what I'm playing...pfffft - they always see different card art than me anyway (they see the Shuler Force of Nature, for instance instead of Greg's - which is INFINITELY better in my totally un-humble opinion and ALWAYS see those HORRID looking Zendikar lands, as opposed to the ones I actually use - I've also noticed that if your opponent grabs your cards and moves them around it permanently (for that game) changes the card art YOU see to the one THEY see too! weird...), I had no intention of swapping arts for cards I actually USE anyway, and right now I'm using actual cards as tokens to begin with, so this isn't any worse than that - they'll just see something similar that I don't use and be of the understanding that they're tokens. Yes, I do believe I'm satisfied with just swapping arts. Ok, problem solved everyone!

Xenophyte

Quote from: Channelfurball on January 04, 2010, 12:17:13 AM
Well, I've been experimenting with swapping out card arts and I think I'm pretty satisfied with the effect it's having - as for other players seeing cards other than what I'm playing...pfffft - they always see different card art than me anyway (they see the Shuler Force of Nature, for instance instead of Greg's - which is INFINITELY better in my totally un-humble opinion and ALWAYS see those HORRID looking Zendikar lands, as opposed to the ones I actually use - I've also noticed that if your opponent grabs your cards and moves them around it permanently (for that game) changes the card art YOU see to the one THEY see too! weird...), I had no intention of swapping arts for cards I actually USE anyway, and right now I'm using actual cards as tokens to begin with, so this isn't any worse than that - they'll just see something similar that I don't use and be of the understanding that they're tokens. Yes, I do believe I'm satisfied with just swapping arts. Ok, problem solved everyone!

I like where you're coming from though. But, don't expect anyone rank and file to support your idea. I've already tried adding the Worldwake Proxies just for funsies...and they work fine on my LackeyCCG...but you wouldn't believe the amount of naysay that was met with. And you're right. As far as adding the cards...it's ridiculously simple...although adding specific token cards in the right click menu would be way more involved...better contact a guy named Bort about that one. He sounds like the man that would know.

Tokimo

I would love it if our opponent saw the art versions we had placed in the deck.  I've noticed that if people move my lands they change to art I didn't want :(

(Ravnica land is the best ever IMO, although some of the other ones go better with different decks).

aardvark

After having experimented with making an RPS plugin for lackey I can tell you with some confidence that adding those tokens shouldn't be difficult.

If someone does decide to do that perhaps they could upload the updated files along with the images for those who would be interested. Post it up so that everyone could dl the modified plugin.

Hell, I might see if I can't do it. Good practice for when I want to make my own. *shrug*

Tokimo

If we want to get tokens in the magic plugin the first and primary thing to do would be to talk to the current plugin maintainer about it. Offer to do some of the legwork and see what he says. Avoid forks whenever possible, forks are bad (For an open source metaphor).