News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

AdventureQuest CCG Project

Started by Dragoon, December 30, 2011, 09:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

Hi all, after seeing a lot of new ideas sprouting up, I decided to give a shot at an idea I had and turn it into a ccg.

The premise of AdventureWuest is rather easy, each player has a quest and tries to complete it before other players.. Or tries to completely ruin the enemies quest, of course!

Quests are the cards the game runs on. Quest regulate your draw, your play actions, any other actions, and your victory condition.

To help you on your quest, you can play allies, items, and support cards. To hinder your opponent's quest, you can play locations and encounters they must face before attempting to complete their quest. In additon, you also have objectives, minor quest that you can undertake for better effects.

Also, every card you have can be put into your quest track for additional quest actions, but they will increase your quest's difficulity.

Currently, there is only one resource, Peril. Peril accumulates each turn and can be used by your opponents to play locations and encounters.

Mock up of a quest card

yudencow

sounds nice, but when i opened it ithought of the browser game, you better change the name.
you should use peril to play cards or activate effects, make the enmey tap cards with some stat in order to pass the location/encounter.

i really like that the quest card determines a lot, maybe having 3 instead of 1 like a quest chain so when you finish the first 1 you move on and everything changes for you.

Malagar

this sounds like the right stuff!

quest track with core quest and expandable side quests. win by finishing quests, loose when your quests are destroyed.

new, unique, good - wanna see more!  :P

Dragoon

Name of the project is still a working title, so it will change.

@Quest Chains
Good idea. I think I'll make quest cards dual sided. First you try to complete side A, then you continue to side B.

Now, more thoughts
Quests: Quests have around 2-3 actions that you can do each turn. Examples of actions: "Draw a card", "Attempt a quest", etc.

Quest Track: You can play cards from your hand into your quest track. While in this track, you can use their quest actions as though they are on your quest card. Also, they increase the difficulity of your quest while on this track, so you have to decide if you want a faster victory or more options. Like quests, you can attempt to complete cards on the quest track, if they are completed, you may use their action and then they are discarded from the track. (Lowering your quests difficulity!)

Heroes: Heroes can be used to attempt quests, take on encounters/locations and buy items. Also, you can use heroes as a one time ability by discarding them from your hand.

Objectives: Objectives can take the form of quests, encounters, items, or heroes. When played, they are added to your quest track, but don't add their difficulity to your quest. When you complete an objective, you may make progress on your quest.

Well, that's the gist of it. Still pondering on how the resource system should work.

Example quest card 2.
Side A
Siege of Marver: Withstanding the Horde
Difficulity: 7
Progress: 5
Deckbuilding: Your deck must contain at least 2 siege objective cards.
Setup: Reveal the top card of your deck and add it to your quest track. Draw seven cards.
When you complete Withstanding the Horde, draw a card and flip it.
You cannot complete this stage while there are encounters on your quest track.

Side B
Siege of Marver: Burning the Equipment.
Difficulity: 0
Progress: 0
When Revealed: Search your deck for two siege objectives and add them to your quest track. Then shuffle your deck.
You lose the game when your last siege objective is destroyed.
You win the game when you complete your last siege objective.

r0cknes

Very nicly done so far. I like the quest track idea. It is a nice and unique touch. Can't wait for more updates.

Dragoon

Mock up of a objective card. Icons aren't final.

Siege Warbeast is an enemy objective. It's both an enemy and an objective at the same time, as an objective, it stays in the quest track and adds it's difficulity to your quest's. Your heroes can attack it in order to defeat it.

Ascent

Is it just me or do these cards look AWESOME?

Reducing the difficulty as a result of quests discarded from the track seems to be a balanced idea.

I like the option of using a hero's effect and discarding it.

The quest track sounds like a great way to depict a unique story each time you play. An Illiad in card form.

Malagar

The card layout now looks very good Dragoon! Just two things:

1. the sword icon still needs some work
2. the title box stops aprupt over the sword icon, it could blend a bit more with the rest. you could even put the title box behind the grey background box i think - there would still be enough space for the title and the top portion could be used for an icon.

just my 2 cents - keep up the good work

Trevor

When you have an objective of "do X for yourself and you win", games tend to feel like solitaire, and player interactivity is lessened. Make sure your game encourages a ton of player activity and things don't just feel like a race to complete your personal objective.

Dragoon

I know. I'm still pondering about it. I'm thinking about more player interactivity. If there are any hints I would love to hear them.

Cyrus

Quote from: Trevor on January 02, 2012, 06:54:54 AM
When you have an objective of "do X for yourself and you win", games tend to feel like solitaire, and player interactivity is lessened. Make sure your game encourages a ton of player activity and things don't just feel like a race to complete your personal objective.

Quote from: Dragoon on January 02, 2012, 08:35:24 AM
I know. I'm still pondering about it. I'm thinking about more player interactivity. If there are any hints I would love to hear them.

I was thinking the same thing... hmmm.
The Middle Earth CCG by ICE (the greatest ccg/rpg hybrid, imho) had each player include Hazard cards in their deck, and depending on the type of quest/location the players were on, different hazards could be played against them. It was like you got to play 2 decks (or maybe 2 games) at once. During your turn you are the good guys questing, during your opponent's turn you're the bad guys. Maybe some inspiration can be taken from here?

Also, the rules here seem like a single player variant on the new Lord of the Rings LCG by Fantasy Flight to a certain degree (although very different as well). You should check out that games rulebook (much less of a tome than the Middle Earth rules) and see if you can find something worth adapting there.

Regardless, good luck!!!

Malagar

Im also for the hazards. You really have to provide players with ways to bombard their enemies with obstacles and hinder them from fulfilling their quests.

maybe you categorize the quests into 3 or 5 categories and the hazards also. players then would include a few hazards of every type in their decks to be prepared for their opponents.

its like a two player race to victory where each is trying to stop their opponents from reaching the goal.

Dragoon

Yeah, I was thinking about hazards/encounters but still pondering about how too implement them. Middle earth CCG has a very useful resource mechanic. I think I'm going to borrow it.

Currently, I'm shelving the quests in order to continue. They will return, but I don't know if it's in this format.

Current Ideas.

Victory Points
Instead of having cards with win conditions, you can fulfil them to gain Victory Points. A number of VP is required to win the game.
- Having a standard victory mechanic makes player interaction easier.

Locations & Travelling
Each player plays with a 7(?)-card location deck. At the start of a turn, you may choose if you either explore the location, or travel to a new one. If you travel to a new one, search your location deck for a location and replace it with the current. The current location is discarded from play.
- Explore. If you choose to explore, follow a location's explore text.

Courage & Hazards
Each character has a courage stat. When you use a character to explore, travel, recruit characters, or use a character ability, you add peril to that character. Other players may take peril from character in order to play hazards. You can't add more peril to a character than it's courage stat.

Characters & Recruitment
Each character has an leadership stat and a leadership cost. Players have 10 general leadership. Characters use up this leadership total. Your character's leadership cost can't exceed your general leadership.
Instead of playing a character against your general leadership, you may play it as a follower under another character. A follower uses a character's leadership stat. A character and it's followers are a company and count has a single character for gaming purposes. (Count their attack, defencem and travel together. You may distribute wounds among characters in a company.)

Cyrus

I've always wanted to almost completely rip-off but also redesign and clean up the middle earth ccg... but maybe I'd just rather play a game that was kinda like it instead?...

Excitement engaged

Dragoon

Yeah, middle Earth CCG is pretty cool but also has major issues..

Thank gods for the cleaned up rules.

Locations have location icons. You can only recruit characters with those icons while on that location. (You can still search for locations, so it should avoid mana screw)