News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Worldwake Proxy Spoilers.

Started by Xenophyte, January 03, 2010, 10:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenophyte

Update: I've uploaded my meager offering to the MtG community. At the bottom of this individual post is the download link for the Proxy files. Just download the wwproxy.rar to your LackeyCCG plugins folder and extract the files there. Do not put it in the Magic folder inside your Plugin directory, leave it simply in the Plugin directly...the compressed package will find where to put the additional files and folders. During the extraction process when asked to overwrite "setlist.txt" file, just select yes.

Without an option to include the Worldwake Proxies to the "standard" option in the format drop down menu, you'll have to leave it set to "any" to find the cards and add them in "Deck Editor".

If you happen to give these Proxies a shot, look me up on LackeyCCG...I'll be listed as Xenophyte.

Hello. New to the board (obviously). Just want to say huge thanks to the designers of LackeyCCG, it's improved my meager skills to moderate since I started playing Magic the Gathering. I started in August of 2009.

At any rate, I'm working on adding a Worldwake Spoiler Proxy addition to the MtG plugin. I don't know if someone has already done this or if this would violate a copyright of some sort, but if nothing else...I'll post my results here in this thread and anyone can download it and drop it into their MtG plugin folder to test out the new cards as they show up.

Some of the artwork is obviously missing (I just can't see them using Smother's old picture) so I will plugin one of the Zendikar mana specific lands as a holdover until we see something new show up. In the case of Comet Storm...I used the leaked artwork (horrible quality) and did the best I could with it.

Everyone's input is welcome and appreciated.

-Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin due to disk space availablility]

GnKoichi

To be honest, I don't think many people would be interested in this. If you use it, your magic plugin would not match with others and it may cause issues if you try to play. If you're just using it for personal use, go for it, but having two different plugins in an online game can cause problems, so I think we'll just wait for Bort to update the official plugin.

Xenophyte

Quote from: GnKoichi on January 03, 2010, 10:40:02 AM
To be honest, I don't think many people would be interested in this. If you use it, your magic plugin would not match with others and it may cause issues if you try to play. If you're just using it for personal use, go for it, but having two different plugins in an online game can cause problems, so I think we'll just wait for Bort to update the official plugin.

Actually I'm not making a new plugin. Following the thread from MSE's forum, I'm using their methods to drop these new cards into the existing plugin. Simple as that. I'm doing this because I'm not sure how often LackeyCCG updates sets, is it as spoilers are brought out, or is it only after the full set has been revealed?

Personally, I enjoy running Proxy matches to see what works and what fails as the set is introduced to the MtG community. I did this with using Photoshop and a printer as Zendikar spoilers were revealed, but using MSE & Lackey appears to be easier.

If you're not interested, that's totally fine with me. This little addition is just for people that are interested in delving into card strategies before they have to crack the actual packs.

Tokimo

I might also be easier to declare what you are proxying for what. "My Mox Jets are Smother and my Mox Sapphire are the new Jace" If you change the image of a card, your opponent won't see the new image. You still need to know what they are proxying for what.

Xenophyte

Quote from: Tokimo on January 03, 2010, 12:53:47 PM
I might also be easier to declare what you are proxying for what. "My Mox Jets are Smother and my Mox Sapphire are the new Jace" If you change the image of a card, your opponent won't see the new image. You still need to know what they are proxying for what.

I understand. But with the addition of these files, there shouldn't be any need for declaration as the artwork (most of it) will be correct for the card and the text will be available for viewing once both players have the files installed to their Magic Plugin directory.  ;D

GnKoichi

As I said before, even though you're not creating a new plugin from scratch, you are altering the existing plugin, which creates two different versions in Lackey's mind. This can create issues if you play against someone who isn't using your update. I'm not trying to dissuade you. I just feel people should have fair warning before using your alterations and taking them online.

Xenophyte

Quote from: GnKoichi on January 03, 2010, 06:27:45 PM
As I said before, even though you're not creating a new plugin from scratch, you are altering the existing plugin, which creates two different versions in Lackey's mind. This can create issues if you play against someone who isn't using your update. I'm not trying to dissuade you. I just feel people should have fair warning before using your alterations and taking them online.

I'm only following the instructions provided on this link http://mtg.pifro.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=517.
No mention was made of altering the version of the MtG plugin by adding 1 text file, adding 1 file folder, card images and altering the first number of the setlist.txt file. In reading this thread posted in a collaborative attempt between the designers of LackeyCCG and MSE to achieve exactly what I've done using their instructions, http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/2206, I would imagine they would have mentioned any sort of catastrophic event caused by what they themselves appear to have come up with as a solution for adding cards to the plugin from MSE.

So, in conclusion...if I truly thought this would cause a huge conflict in the software, I wouldn't have posted my work at all, period. I've loaded the program and built a deck just fine using the Proxies, and I've also logged into several games in the past with a warning generated by LackeyCCG that my plugin and another player's plugin doesn't match, but the games went off without a hitch and much fun was had.

Your posts seem counterproductive to my humble attempts to better adapt to ongoing strategies. I believed this software and this forum to be open sourced and receptive to new ideas and collaboration, apparently I've been mistaken?

-Thanks.  ::)

GnKoichi

Do not take my comments as personal attacks against you or your work. I made it clear that issues have surfaced in the past with things like this and that anyone downloading it should be aware of that. You should not take this so personally, especially since you did not start by asking Bort, the person who updates the Magic plugin, how he would feel about you altering his work.

Xenophyte

Quote from: GnKoichi on January 03, 2010, 07:14:21 PM
Do not take my comments as personal attacks against you or your work. I made it clear that issues have surfaced in the past with things like this and that anyone downloading it should be aware of that. You should not take this so personally, especially since you did not start by asking Bort, the person who updates the Magic plugin, how he would feel about you altering his work.

It's not that I'm taking this personally, I just see little from you in the way of alternative ideas, support, or advice concerning my undertaking. And in reading the above mentioned forum discussion (in my previous post, see second hyperlink) that was initiated by Trevor, I gathered from that post that they were already utilizing the MtG plugin to analyze the workaround for the card export/import issue to begin with. As such, I did not see any guidelines being broken with my ridiculously small alteration. Again, an alteration I would'nt have known how to do if the instructions on how to do it hadn't of already been posted. (see first hyperlink)

I guess I sort of understand your need to protect and defend the MtG plugin (especially since your forum post count and status trumps mine), but I was honestly looking for ways to make what I was doing better and/or easier. If the actual developers have a problem with what I've done, then I'm sure I'll be contacted shortly...although given the open source of LackeyCCG...I can't see them being too largely offended.

Just trying to have fun and learn new things.

-Thanks again.

:D

SugimoriDesu

Heh, Xenophyte, for one, Post count and status doesn't matter here, we're all people who use lackey. Hell i had the second highest post count on the old forum, and what did that get me? Nothin!

Ahem... GNK's not Protecting anything. He's trying to show you how moot the idea is, especially with just how much time we have until Worldwake Releases. It's actually easier just to let Bort update the plugin when it comes out.  Less headaches, and we don't have to worry about Unofficial spoiler mistakes (Every spoiler site makes them, so i mean no jibe at you.)

Of course, the only plugin i handle is a glorified game of Rock Scissors Paper on crack, so what do i really know about plugins? (Sarcasm)

In all seriousness, you do seem to be a tad put back by GnK's logic, which in this case is sound. I won't stop you from doing this if you want to, though, and i doubt that i could. It's somewhat of a good deed you're doing, if not just a tad bit early.

Xenophyte

Quote from: Souji Tendou on January 03, 2010, 11:19:27 PM
Heh, Xenophyte, for one, Post count and status doesn't matter here, we're all people who use lackey. Hell i had the second highest post count on the old forum, and what did that get me? Nothin!

Ahem... GNK's not Protecting anything. He's trying to show you how moot the idea is, especially with just how much time we have until Worldwake Releases. It's actually easier just to let Bort update the plugin when it comes out.  Less headaches, and we don't have to worry about Unofficial spoiler mistakes (Every spoiler site makes them, so i mean no jibe at you.)

Of course, the only plugin i handle is a glorified game of Rock Scissors Paper on crack, so what do i really know about plugins? (Sarcasm)

In all seriousness, you do seem to be a tad put back by GnK's logic, which in this case is sound. I won't stop you from doing this if you want to, though, and i doubt that i could. It's somewhat of a good deed you're doing, if not just a tad bit early.

Yeah, it's no big deal anymore. In all honesty, my intent was just to make my strategies better and hopefully help out the LackeyCCG community out a little. I didn't expect this amount of resistance from an open source driven software forum is all. Just strikes me as completely odd.

So, I'm done with it.  ;)

Ham

No one here is telling you not to do it, just warning you that it might not be received well, or that it could potentially cause problems.

When you start a game, Lackey compares everything in your Magic plugin folder (or whatever plugin you're using) with whats in your opponents folder, and if there are any discrepancies, it will put a warning message in the game log, letting you know that your plugin doesn't match theirs. I'm not sure if there's a definitive answer to whether or not this causes problems. But I've added sets that I created on my own to my Magic plugin folder just to play around with them in the Deck Editor, and it hasn't caused any problems so far with playing regular games with standard cards.

I think it's a fine idea, and while I'm not interested personally, I'm sure there are some people who would love to play with the spoiled cards as soon as possible. Though, I would suggest you title your games to let others know if you're using cards they might not have.

aardvark

My 2 cents:

Have 2 plugins. The "official" one and your own. If you know you're going to be playing with someone who wants to use your plugin then load that one, otherwise stick with the old one.

Tokimo

I feel compelled to point out that open source does not mean accepting. Actually get involved in an open source project before you keep using this analogy, open source is not always a friendly round table where people get all of their ideas in. People work on things and have their work discarded and rejected because the rest of the table or the project manager didn't think it was a good idea.

Can you do your proxy thing? Sure. Do I think it's a bad idea? Probably. Am I right? I dunno. What I think is dangerous is forking

Xenophyte

Yeah. Hey guys. I got the idea. The plugin is sacred. This horse was dead about 3 turns back.

-Thanks again.    ;D