News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Custom Dice?

Started by Jynks, January 07, 2012, 12:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Picks-at-Flies

Is there a game you are thinking of?  There are so many potential features for rolling dice that I strongly suggest we only ask Trevor for what is reasonable for plugins-in-progress.

Trevor

Quote from: Jynks on January 25, 2012, 12:14:03 AM
no, lol... that was just some text so you could see what I was talking about. Using text input for rolling dice will never work.. I mean it works fine for rolling 1 die or multipul die of the same type.. but when you mix dice the command gets clunky... what about a game were you have to roll 20 mixed die at a time or something.

What I was thinking is pretty much exactly what you just said, a popup of some kind with the dice and a spinner to select the quantity. Maybe even with some buttons you can right click once you set it up so you can store "dice macros" the way you can store canned messages. mabey you could call the dice macros with /dm 1 or something as in "/dice macro 1"

"Right now, there is a menu for "Roll X Dice", and you can add one of those for each kind of special dice. So you could Roll X 6-sided dice, then roll X Special dice. That seems as intuitive as possible. I'm not convinced that there is a better solution than that."

what do you mean? I do not know of this function?
Right click the table (not on a card). There is a menu option for Roll X dice.

innuendo

I will say, we've discussed macro functions before and I think what you want is not specific to dice. Because if we could macro game functions in general it would cover this case you want.

I know I would love a macro function option and even discussed it before. But until that happens what you want isn't possible outside of canned messages, which are honestly a pretty good short term solution.

jorch72

Quote from: Picks-at-Flies on January 19, 2012, 04:53:19 PM
so ideally you would need an option "/roll [n] diplomacy" etc. For extra confusion, when you are rolling 40 dice, you would also want it to total the symbols rolled.
Just some useless information, in the Dragon Ball Z RPG when you got to a certain power level it was easy to roll over 1,000 dice!!!
This just came to me when you wrote rolling 40 dice.

Trevor

Quote from: jorch72 on March 02, 2012, 12:30:45 PM
Quote from: Picks-at-Flies on January 19, 2012, 04:53:19 PM
so ideally you would need an option "/roll [n] diplomacy" etc. For extra confusion, when you are rolling 40 dice, you would also want it to total the symbols rolled.
Just some useless information, in the Dragon Ball Z RPG when you got to a certain power level it was easy to roll over 1,000 dice!!!
This just came to me when you wrote rolling 40 dice.
Any situation where you roll a thousand dice is absurd. That would take I'm guessing about 15 minutes to do at least.

Saethori

I honestly can't tell if that "one thousand dice" thing is meant to be serious, or a joke based on the related DBZ meme.

One thing's for sure; if a game actually gets to such a point where it's actively requiring that many dice, it should have started including shortcut rules.