News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

New card zone function request

Started by innuendo, January 27, 2012, 01:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

innuendo

"Move all to top/bottom of [zone] and shuffle"

So it would take the cards in the zone, shuffle them, and then add them to the top/bottom of the destination. The key difference here is it only shuffles the cards moved.

This is really common in board games with a replenishing draw pile and would be very useful.

Trevor

You already can move all cards in a zone to a different zone, and you can shuffle them.

innuendo

The act of taking my discard and putting it beneath my deck does not shuffle the discard.

Randomly ordering my discard and then moving them would give me the ability to spot the location of the cards.

Moving them and then shuffling my deck is not what I want. I want the current deck to remain unshuffled and the cards from my discard to be shuffled and placed underneath.

There is no easy way to do this without first hiding the zone, then shuffling it, then moving it, then unhiding it.

Trevor

Hiding a zone, shuffling it, and moving it, sounds like a fine solution. Surely this doesn't happen very frequently.

If your game allows it in the rules, you can also: Move the zone, then shuffle the deck. And even if that isn't EXACTLY what you would do in real life, I think it would be reasonable for players online to agree it was an acceptable online alternative.

As far as combining multiple functions into a single function, that is not a good situation to deal with things. Lets say you have 4 different options, A,B,C,D. (Suppose A is moving all the cards, and B is shuffling, for example.) You could want a function for A+B, A+C, A+D, B+C, B+D, A+B+C, A+B+C+D, A+C+D, and so on.
The more options, the number of permutations increases exponentially. If there is a button for every one of these permutations, the interface quickly becomes unusable.

innuendo

Then can I propose a simpler solution than a menu item?

Add 2 new tags to the transfer card function

<amount>[1-n,all]</amount>
<shufflemovedcards>[boolean]</shufflemovedcards>

This would let me build a transfer function to be called "refill deck" that could move all (or n number) of cards from one zone to another. Everything else is already handled (top/bottom, etc) by the function. These two tags would let me expand it to allow slightly more complex actions.

Thanks.

Trevor

I don't see a reason to make this not a menu item as it is now. If I implement what you're asking, I think it will just be redundant. And if it provides a modicum of additional utility, I don't think that offsets the increased complexity to the interface.

Making a single function that combines multiple functions is usually a bad idea because you will still need the individual functions. That way of thinking quickly leads to functions for all possible permutations of all possible functions, and that destroys the usability of the interface.

Are there cards that make you just conceal and shuffle one zone, and put it on the bottom of another concealed zone? In my experience, games generally just tell you to shuffle one zone into another.