If I "Future"-Date the version txt file will it automatic update?

Started by Jynks, January 27, 2012, 06:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jynks

What I mean is if I change a plugin and set the version.txt file for example to 120210 (same for the updatelist) will it NOT update for people until it is the 10th?

I ask this as I am on a monthly release schedule that I would like to keep but I am going over seas next month and will miss a update ... so I was thinking maybe I could pre-date the update text file and it will propagate when the time comes?

If it can not.. no sweat.. just curious

Trevor

If your aim is to NOT let people update to the new version until the specified date, you cannot use version.txt to do that. That is not the intended use of that feature. It is meant to let people know if their currently installed version of the plugin is the latest.

If you future date your version.txt, people will not be told they need to update until the future, but if they manually update in the interim, they will get the latest version. And it is a very bad idea to have multiple different versions of the same plugin in the wild.

If you want to hide an update until the future, I suggest you make a mirrored directory for the future and give it a different name. When it is time to update, all you need to do is have you (or a friend) just rename the directory when it is time for it to be public.

Jynks