Card Function to move selected card behind other cards

Started by Shadowmaster, February 11, 2012, 05:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowmaster

Does a function exist that moves/re-orders a card that's overlapping another card on the field so that it appears behind the card it's overlapping? Because if such function did exist, that would really help out with sorting Energy in games like Pokemon and Smash Bros cards.

Saethori

That function unfortunately does not exist. The closest you can get is simply to place the Energy somewhere else, drag the stack of cards onto it in the appropriate way, and then drag it back.

Arwym

I keep thinking that a series of options like "Move down," "Move up," "Move to bottom," and "Move to top," like vector image editors (refer to Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator) often have when right clicking an object, would be very helpful here. At least when the "Allow card on table to completely cover other cards" preference is off, that is.

Trevor

That function did exist but I disabled it. It was confusing people because of the many different ways people might expect something to work.

There was 2 options for auto-layering. Lower cards (cards closer to you) appear on top of other cards, or lower cards appear below other cards. Problems arise with another preference to show the cards of an opponent sitting opposite you facing him or facing you. It became too confusing in the preference section to talk about all these things that could go on.

You may stack cards on top of other cards while playing IRL, but in Lackey, you can always just have them lower with no actual overlapping. If you want them to overlap, Lackey mimics a realistic stack. The first card you drop will appear below other cards. Using that knowledge, you can plan accordingly. I will add though if you are relying on the layers for a game mechanic and what is on top of what matters from a rules perspective, you should not try to emulate this in Lackey. It would be too easy to do something not intentional. Instead, use a different system, like having the cards closer to you in a line. They may also appear to overlap as you want, but you should rely on their y coordinate rather than their current layering for rules purposes. There is also a number of other things you could do, like put them in a zone (which does properly deal with card order) or use counters or a number of other methods.

If I were to add an option to "Move down" or "move up" or the other things Arwym was suggesting, it would complicate the interface more, confuse lots of people, and overall it would be more deleterious than helpful.
Arwym, didn't you just say in another post how the interface in Lackey is already too confusing? Don't you think adding something like layering would only make that worse?