Automatic update by using version.txt not working

Started by Tbiesty, February 11, 2012, 07:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tbiesty

I've defined a version.txt for the lotr plugin. I'm running with the 02-09-2012 (Mac) version of LackeyCCG.

Even if the date in my local version.txt is different than the remote version.txt (and the "update plugin automatically" checkbox is checked), it doesn't do the automatic update when I launch LackeyCCG.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Edit: I meant version.txt

Saethori

There are a few primary factors that you have to verify when using Version.txt

1 - The version on the server must have a 'newer' date than the one on the client. It's especially critical to make sure version.txt has the right date on it, as it uses a different day format than updatelist.txt.
2 - Version.txt must be included in updatelist.txt. While this is technically not required as long as version.txt is on the client's side, without this the client will ask the user to update constantly.
3 - The URL to which version.txt references its online counterpart must be active and accessible. If version.txt can't connect, it won't see that it's out of date.
4 - If your plugin has multiple versions (such as a Medium and a Large image quality version), it requires a unique version.txt (with its own updatelist.txt checksum) for each version.

I know all these are really simple, but a single overlooked factor will keep it from working.

Tbiesty

I think I'm doing all those thing correctly. If someone could load the lotr plugin and verify everything looks right (and even try changing the date in the local version.txt), then I would know if it's my mistake or something with that version of LackeyCCG.

Trevor

Remember that a version is checked when you first launch lackey, and only once each day.

Tbiesty

So I should be able to "force" it to recheck by setting my computer's clock ahead a day? I've tried that.  The pluginfinder list does an update but not my plugin.

Tbiesty

I found the problem.  I am using the "old" (non-XML) format for the plugininfo.txt.  Apparently, the version.txt file is only checked if the plugininfo.txt is in the XML format.

It is about time I updated it to the XML format anyway.  :)