Is there a way to have a deck / stack of cards common to all players?

Started by Arwym, February 21, 2012, 08:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arwym

I am trying to create a basic RPG / card game hybrid, where I need to make some stacks of cards available for all players to draw from. The game is can be played with just one person, but a multiplayer "mode" is also available. I am not sure if by just defining a game zone for the cards is the best to achieve this. Could you enlighten me?  :)

Trevor

Quote from: Arwym on February 21, 2012, 08:48:13 AM
I am trying to create a basic RPG / card game hybrid, where I need to make some stacks of cards available for all players to draw from. The game is can be played with just one person, but a multiplayer "mode" is also available. I am not sure if by just defining a game zone for the cards is the best to achieve this. Could you enlighten me?  :)
http://lackeyccg.com/tutorialplugin.html

You want to use shared zones.

Arwym

Sorry, I am a little confused. I read about game zone visibility options, but I don't want the players to see the contents of the pile in their entirety. I want to have the stack shuffled and then have them draw cards from the top of it.

I couldn't find anything about "shared" zones, specifically.

Trevor

Quote from: Arwym on February 21, 2012, 01:13:18 PM
Sorry, I am a little confused. I read about game zone visibility options, but I don't want the players to see the contents of the pile in their entirety. I want to have the stack shuffled and then have them draw cards from the top of it.

I couldn't find anything about "shared" zones, specifically.
Shared zones are zones that no player owns. A deck of poker cards would be a good example. That has nothing to do with visibility though. Visibility can be set to what you want for both shared and player zones.

Oh, it appears the shared zone section of the tutorial is missing. I will fix that. In the interim you can take a look at one of the other plugins, like lotr-lcg, that use them.

Arwym

Thank you again, Trevor. I'll check other plugins out.

Another question, though, about the Tokens zone. I noticed this zone shows up by default without me specifying it. Can I address it just like I do other deck and game zones? Is this one also a shared zone?

Trevor

Quote from: Arwym on February 21, 2012, 06:22:33 PM
Thank you again, Trevor. I'll check other plugins out.

Another question, though, about the Tokens zone. I noticed this zone shows up by default without me specifying it. Can I address it just like I do other deck and game zones? Is this one also a shared zone?
The tokens panel always exists, even if a plugin doesn't use tokens. In retrospect, if a plugin doesn't define any tokens, I will hide that panel tab.

The tokens list is not a zone. You can drag cards from it to the table or to zone, but the tokens list is not a proper zone. It's more of a tool for spawning tokens than a zone. Think of it as a graphical tool for token spawning rather than a zone.

Trevor

Arwym

Thanks, I will take a look.

About the tokens tab: how can I make my game's tokens appear in there?

Trevor

Quote from: Arwym on February 22, 2012, 07:53:15 AM
Thanks, I will take a look.

About the tokens tab: how can I make my game's tokens appear in there?
Make a column with the header "Type" and in the row for that column in your card data file, have it include "Token".