Remove the General and Card function menus above the table?

Started by Trevor, February 21, 2012, 08:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I remove the General and Card function menus above the table?

Remove them
5 (50%)
Keep them
3 (30%)
Move them with the function buttons below the table
2 (20%)
Something else (explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Trevor

The General and Card function menus that appear on the top left of the table are redundant. The commonly used ones appear as buttons below the table, and they can all be accessed via right clicking the empty table or a card on the table, for general and card functions respectively.

So I think I will remove those 2 menus. They also don't really have much to do with the other items in that row, which are all for changing the view of the table.

I suppose it would make more sense if those general and card function menus, if they remained, were to be moved below the table along with the frequently used function buttons, but that would cut into the space available to the frequently used function buttons. And some plugins use a lot of those frequently used function buttons (more than they should in some cases), and I'm not sure moving the 2 menus there would be an improvement over just removing them or even keeping them where they are.

I'd like to hear your opinions. I am trying to simplify the somewhat daunting interface and I am open to specific suggestions about how to do so.

If the general and card function menus are removed, is it intuitive enough that you can access them all by right clicking the table (not over or over cards, respectively)?

Saethori

I rarely use this pull-down menu, but I don't think removing it entirely is the right answer; it just kind of feels like a loss of functionality to me.

Though I personally only use it for verifying which functionss are assigned to which function keys. >_>

Arwym

Personally, I rarely use them, so I wouldn't mind seeing them gone. Then again, they could also be moved somewhere else; I am just not sure if below the table would be right, since we already have the buttons there. I also noticed that card functions can be reached by right clicking a card. And finally, I don't really think they bother me being where they are right now, although they're not directly related to the game table like the rest of the buttons up there are.

billylee174

Those buttons don't bother, nor they help. I believe that it would be really disturbing if they are put below the table, next to the other buttons, because of the space they involve and also because our assigned buttons will be farther from the cards played. Yes, just a little, but I believe that it matters.

QuoteIf the general and card function menus are removed, is it intuitive enough that you can access them all by right clicking the table (not over or over cards, respectively)?

I think so. In the end I prefer them to stay unless they bother in any way.

Trevor

Quote from: billylee174 on February 22, 2012, 09:21:49 PM
Those buttons don't bother, nor they help. I believe that it would be really disturbing if they are put below the table, next to the other buttons, because of the space they involve and also because our assigned buttons will be farther from the cards played. Yes, just a little, but I believe that it matters.

QuoteIf the general and card function menus are removed, is it intuitive enough that you can access them all by right clicking the table (not over or over cards, respectively)?

I think so. In the end I prefer them to stay unless they bother in any way.
They bother in the sense that they add to the sense of being overwhelmed that new users often feel.

billylee174

Maybe then if they can be added on the right of the buttons below the table, maybe that way the don't interfere. Just an idea.

Trevor

Quote from: billylee174 on February 22, 2012, 11:41:49 PM
Maybe then if they can be added on the right of the buttons below the table, maybe that way the don't interfere. Just an idea.
The frequently used function buttons wrap as needed, so that might be more confusing there.

Hyphen-ated

I have never used them and they seem useless. I would be happy if they were gone.

bufzar

I personally have never used them, and think they should be replace by things like discard a card at random, look at top X cards, etc. I know when i first started playing it took me forever to figure those out, and it is still a little bit of a hassle. I think those buttons would be better used for something else.