News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Physical card-making, feasiblity/DIY tips

Started by jiffins, February 22, 2012, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiffins

Hey

I got a few questions.  I apologize if this has been discussed too much/recently.  Anyways, I'm looking to design a game simply for my friends and I to have a good time with.  I'd definitely like to look into the Lackey CCG program thing, because it seems like an awesome way to easily run a game on the computer, but playing my cards on a tabletop would be great.  I'm just wondering how impossible this task is. 

Now, I don't need these to look like professionally produced cards.  They don't have to be that fancy, just.. consistent.  I guess I'm just asking for tips on homemade cards, if anyone does that.  Like, what do you print the cards on, how do you get them all cut evenly, etc.  I imagine I could do it all at home due to my goals (not huge production amounts or professional presentation), I'd just enjoy a little guidance.  If possible.  Or is this just a pipe dream and I'm the only one even thinking about it?

EDIT: Hey, I just realized this may have fit better in the art section, no?  I probably shouldn't have rushed into posting this so quickly, my bad.

Arwym

To start, it's a good idea to make a template to use for when printing the cards.

As for card designs, I also agree that they need to be consistent. How about a design that is generic enough, and especially, comprehensive? I like the Magic: The Gathering card design very much for this. The cards are so easy to read, they look great (to me), and they look pretty much the same no matter the card type, perhaps with the exception of tokens, and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

For printing the cards, again, some paper that isn't too glossy, like matte, would be good. You can find this at any office shop (Office Depot, Office Max, etc.) Try to get something that is of decent quality: nothing too weak that you feel could break at any moment. Then again, my guessing, since I only once printed a trading card, and it was a fake Yu-Gi-Oh! card with the picture of Osama Bin Laden on it.  >.>  (I was like 13 at the time.) I have, however, printed many business cards. I think this is not too different. In fact, maybe you should consider designing your cards to be printed in the standard size of a business card. There are papers that come ready to print business cards on them.

This will cost you money. Easily over $100, maybe over $200, depending on how many friends you plan to include, and the amount of cards involved. Color ink is so expensive. A decent printer will definitely be necessary. If you think it's possible, maybe you should look for a local print shop that offers printing business cards and see if you can get them to do this for you for a reasonable price, but it will be difficult, unless you're willing to get like 100 copies of each card printed. I know a local print shop in town where I can get 500 color business cards of decent enough quality for $35.

Advice: revise your cards over and over until you're sure there are no errors in them, and that you're satisfied, before printing them. Imagine printing many copies to then realize that something is wrong! :o

Well, I hope that helps!  ??

jiffins

It does, thanks for replying!  I don't know why I was so quick to rule out going to a printing place, that might actually be a good idea.  One thing I'm thinking about though if I decide to do it all at home is only using color in the picture.  That may sound like heresy to some of you here (and it's because your cards look awesome, I did not intend any offense here), but it wouldn't be a big deal to us, and again, my target audience is just my inner circle of friends.

Thanks again for the advice though, peace.

Arwym

Black and white (or grayscale, for that matter) cards have their charm, too, actually. :D  Though, maybe, to spice things up and add some variety to the cards, you can use different colors of paper for different card types. The problem here would be that, if cards are not to be revealed but to their owner until some point, other players would easily make guesses of what card it could be just by the paper color. Then again, if you use card sleeves/protectors, that may solve that problem.  ;)

jiffins

Cyrus

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/

Try that link on for size!
Love this website, have gotten stuff through them before, and the quality is pretty great (especially for the price). Rock on!

Wisp

DavidChaos

With that website and going back to the physical card-making thing, that goes well with fixed-content packages, but if you want to release a game with booster packs, needless to say, that particular model may not be for you.

Cyrus

Since he's only making a game for him "and his friends to enjoy" I think its safe to say he doesn't want to make booster packs... However, I have schemed for many moments on how to make a booster pack-esque product on game crafter, not sure if it can be done... unless you do fixed packs, obviously, and then its just a like a boring expansion.

DavidChaos

Exactly my point of bringing it up.  Since the topic is here, then it should be discussed the ability to make printed product for randomized distribution in a booster-like set.  There's people who simply make the cardsheets and send them to the person who orders them, which would work fine for someone making such content; they'd just need to put together the packs.

innuendo

superior pod does booster packs and randomized stuff like that. They're a company i've had good report with before.

Cyrus

jiffins

that does look like it could prove to be immensely helpful, i just gotta figure out how to use it.

Arwym

That site is a new discovery for me, too.  :)  Thanks for sharing!

innuendo