News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

System Down: The Customisable Hacker Card Game!

Started by 3XXXDDD, March 01, 2012, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3XXXDDD

Depends if I include it first.

Anyway, found some art on Google Images with a transparent background, just to see what the cards might look like with a basic background.

Dragoon

Quote from: 3XXXDDD on July 20, 2012, 04:48:14 PM
Depends if I include it first.

Anyway, found some art on Google Images with a transparent background, just to see what the cards might look like with a basic background.

Looks decent. I would suggest the following. If possible, add icons to the two top numbers. I guess one of them is cost, but I can't see which one.  Secondary, I suggest a better letter type for the name/cost. At last, remove ALL unnescessary icons from the second bar. (Does the 21 pt have anythign t do with the game?) And remove the 'C://' '/Software/Scanner' is good unough for a card type.

3XXXDDD

The font is just me messing around with some stuff.

The PT21 is the Set name & number.

Would Icons be really necessary? Provided players the rules and learn about the card design. Not to mention the right icon is colour coded.

Though, I'm not sure of any kind of icon to add to the right number but the left number is a power value so maybe I could add something in for that.

3XXXDDD

Something is nibbling away at me about this game, there is something it needs, just some icing somewhere to top it off into Alpha perfection.

Dabem

As far as the 'safe play vs. reckless play' is concerned, I think safe play is more common. Tournaments are filled with players that have 'unbeatable' decks. Some because they are damage heavy, some because they are like a fortress of defensive cards. Most often they don't want to lose a single unit to achieve their victory. Anytime you can encourage players to do something that breaks the mold and do something outside of the ordinary you are on to something special. Whether it is awesome or bizarre and useless is usually up to the players.

However drawing a card for each piece of damage dealt seems like too much of a reward for losing. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. Draw every other card makes sense to me, or every card with a hand limit makes sense. Just as long as your opponent doing 10 damage doesn't end up sucking for them way more than it did for you. That encourages turtling and might make the game take FOREVER. I see the dominant strategy for that type of gameplay being trying to eliminate your opponent's units while not doing any damage to them, while saving yours to try and finish them off all in one turn.

I just had an odd thought though. What if receiving 'damage' was the only way you could draw cards? It could make things, shall we say, interesting.

On field space being limited I like the idea. It forces the players to choose their favorite units. The problem is if you have one unit that is a juggernaut it might end up being over-used.

3XXXDDD

QuoteI just had an odd thought though. What if receiving 'damage' was the only way you could draw cards? It could make things, shall we say, interesting.

Okay, that is woah.....

Though, if both players get unusable hands it might cause a stalemate, so I propose a cycle draw mechanic, you can draw at the start of your turn, provided you discard a card beforehand so your hand size doesn't change from this draw but will open options to let the game move forward.

Dabem

Sounds like a pretty good idea. Most players probably wouldn't use the draw/discard mechanic unless they actually needed it.

3XXXDDD

Should it be Ditch-Draw or Stack on bottom of deck then draw?

I imagine the first because that's pretty much self-inflicting damage to draw, which seems to make sense and give reason not to do it.

3XXXDDD

If we were to have fixed Zones, it would have to be an Odd number in order to favour your blockers or attackers and not give players best of both.

Kosmosis|Omegan

Quote from: Dabem on August 02, 2012, 02:23:02 PM
I see the dominant strategy for that type of gameplay being trying to eliminate your opponent's units while not doing any damage to them, while saving yours to try and finish them off all in one turn.

Like in DuelMasters or Kaijudo. They amend this by putting a hard and fast limit to how much you can get rewarded, and by making it so that if you turtle you can easily be rushed/swarmed.

3XXXDDD

Dabem

In reviewing this just now I realized that a fixed number of fields does help fix the problem. That does limit the amount of damage you can do all in one turn.

However you mentioned something before that struck me as odd now. With an odd number of fixed fields wouldn't you always favor anti viruses (or defense) since they are what gives you the RAM to play other cards?

3XXXDDD

Your forgetting that values of Anti-Virus are variable (as is there power) so you could play two big Anti-Virus cards and then fill the other 5 Zones with small Virus cards as well.

So you wouldn't all the time. I'm thinking 7 personally as a field limit.

Kosmosis|Omegan

There are only five shields, so you can onyl get five cards off damage at max. CardFightVangaurd also lets you use damage as a resource.

3XXXDDD

We could add a "Draw Value" onto Programs. Kind of like a critical value in game, what would happen is the defending player would ditch X Cards from the top of their deck (X = Cards power value) but would Draw Y of those cards (where Y is the Draw value, it should probably be either the first X or last X of cards to draw).