News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Translation for Lackey it self?

Started by Bob_Lagota, March 12, 2012, 04:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob_Lagota

I want to play with a friend over Lackey. His problem is, his english is realy bad.
My idear (I dont know how much work it will be): Give the user the possibility to translate the program by his or her own hand, with a simple textfile. Could you do this? So I will translate the program into german for him, as good as I can.

I know, the translation of the cardgame is another thing, I only mean the program itself.

billylee174

If this were to be possible, I may translate it in spanish, or help to do it.

Trevor

This is actually a lot harder to do than it seems, unless you are just talking about menus and labels. Sentences that are constructed in the log are assembled based on a number of criteria and that can't be simply translated without me incorporating all of the language stuff inside lackey.

For example "Trevor plays a castle from the top of his deck and plays it to the table exhausted."
I wouldn't know how to assemble all of those translated components.

Another issue is Lackey doesn't currently support some foreign characters, like ?.

And even if just the menus are translated, lackey evolves and changes rapidly. Any translation files would quickly become obsolete. And it isn't feasible to wait for all of the translators to assist me every time I change something.

Bob_Lagota

I think menus and labels will be fine. The log isnt as important as the rest is, for him. And there is no need for using "?", cauz you can using "ue" instead (or ae or oe ...), every german should know what this means.
You dont have to wait for translations, if something change, just let it in english. If some one need a translation, he can do it by her or his own hand (or ask a friend).

Ok, I can understand, that only the menues and labels may can be a difficult kind of work. I also can understand, if it wont be point one on your to do list. All I ask for, is to overthink it and may be more.

The log translation is another thing, that can wait (it isnt important to me), so dont worry about it.

Trevor

I just had an idea that would make this very easy to implement. I should be able to add this functionality soon.

billylee174

Just something quick. I have thought of doing some kind of "replacement", where in a text file we can put something like "main menu=menu principal", and Lackey looks for these key names and replaces them. I think that it is also possible to replace the log with this, at least in some languages. I can deep in this matter. This week I started working/college so I was really absent