News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Card game creation tournaments

Started by MLaRF, May 08, 2012, 04:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLaRF

Hey everyone,
A couple of friends and I were discussing a recent idea of card game development competitions, and I wanted to see what the general opinion to something like this would be.

The general structure would be that we have 1 week for the community to discuss and vote on a general theme which each card game would follow, ranging from setting to using a certain game mechanic to possibly the very style of the game, and anything else imaginable. After the theme is decided, participants would have approximately 4 weeks to conceptualize and create their card game, either using lackey or a hard copy (due to the nature of the internet, lackey would be the suggested option, and would be advertised to all new participants). In that time, they'd be able to discuss ideas in the main idea discussion thread, and display, advertise, and distribute the game in their individual threads. After the 4-week development period (which will be expanded by 1 week for each time a sufficient amount of requests for more time is made), 1 week of playtesting and voting would occur.

The entire thing would be mostly driven by community and voting, which would be divided into aspects such as staying on-theme, art, creativity/innovation, and even how fun the game is, in addition to its overall rating. There would obviously be overlords mods and admins keeping everything on track, but they would have no more influence in a game's placing or popularity than an ordinary member. Special achievements would be available for various accomplishments, such as completing the entire game in time or having the most cards.

The competitions would be of a wide range including individuals, teams, continuations of old games, or everyone making their own set for a previous winner. The idea could also expand to include video games, or the community working together to make one card game like the smogon create-a-pokemon, but for now, one standard competition of singles or teams would apply at any given time.

So, what's your opinions on this? It's still a work-in-progress (though we'd be ready to start today if we wanted), but I'm wondering if any of you would be interested in such a thing. So, yeah! I hope you're interested, because I think this idea could not only gain lots of momentum, but also be really fun!

Thanks for your interest!
--MLaRF

Cyrus

Perhaps this could be what a lot of people need, myself included, to actually finish a game. I am interested for sure

MLaRF

Quote from: CyrusPerhaps this could be what a lot of people need, myself included, to actually finish a game.

I know that feel.
I'm hoping that it will be a good way to get people to make card games who normally just play them (I've always told my friends they should make card games), and also introduce them to online card game communities and card game creation tools like Lackey here.

Dragoon

yudencow

Imma firing my lasers.

Maybe you can list all the people who want and by thier skills. I can't do art, so I need a partner.

3XXXDDD