How can we make card games more appealing to wider audiance?

Started by yudencow, May 09, 2012, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yudencow

A new platfrom? Marketing? Merchandizing? Quicker gameplay? A new destribution system?

I don't know. I thought making it a video game with a campaign will make it more compatible to new gamers, but I don't know if they wil like it. Turn-based video games are on the down anyhow.

3XXXDDD

MLaRF

Also, having a non-card game version of your product is a huge help, such as a TV series or video game. Extra Credits did a fine episode on exactly this, which they called "TransGaming" (s4e7). More ways to spread the game means more spread of the game. But the other suggestions are useful as well.

yudencow

Well comics is a pretty natural way, because you alresy have talented artists on small frames. I always wanted to take down marvel.

yudencow

Just saw hat episode. It went straight to my favorites. It is so right. I thought about making a real-time fighting game and SimCity and other stuff that my game has so much possibe in his backgrounds. Maybe the way to bring more players is more than high-quality, good learning curve, great hook and affordability. It is expanding to other interactive genres. I guess this is why the Warhammer and W40K are so popular all this time. It is because of the THQ games.

Cyrus

1) Start the game as a fan game to an already-taken or otherwise obviously copyrighted property

2) Get fans based on property

3) Get hit with a cease and desist. You can no longer use that property without paying up

4) Change all the names and crap to no longer be associated with that property

5) ???

6) Profit

DavidChaos

I personally think that the mutli-level marketing is the way to go.  The fact is, most CCGs that are only CCGs are not successful.  Even looking at Magic, it began as something connected to Dugeons and Dragons, and even to this day it has video games, novels, and was going to have an anime that later became Duel Masters.  Many other successful card games are either based on a property or have a property based on them.  WOWTCG, Legend of the Five Rings, and even Yu-Gi-Oh are examples of the former, while Cardfight Vanguard is an example of the latter.

I was planning a few different options for the game I'm making, Hexdrake (thinking of changing the name, too, since it simply reflects the deities of the world that probably won't even have their own cards).  Due to the way the storyline works and the player-class possibilities, I have a unique standpoint for an MMO, which is interesting (the factions would be more like in GTA2, where you can choose what factions you're aligned with based on whose missions you take; this can have a partial effect on your abilities).