Why the website was down for the previous few days...

Started by Trevor, May 22, 2012, 09:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

The website was actually not down. The Lackey server was not down. The problem was my domain name registration was not properly linking "lackeyccg.com" with my website. Many of you haven't been able to get to the Lackey game matching server because the Lackey client queries lackeyccg.com to let you connect to the server. For people who connected directly to the server by IP, or for people who had the correct server IP in their cache, they could connect to the server in the interim. Many others were unable to connect.

Any who, it's all resolved. It was really annoying to deal with because the various internet companies kept on telling me to contact other companies and my email address, which uses a forwarder with lackeyccg.com, was also not functioning. I therefore just received the emails that were sent to me. I assume I got all of the ones I didn't get while the domain was messed up, but if you emailed me about something and you didn't get a response, I likely didn't receive the email and I would ask you to resend it.

I would like to thank the hundred or so of you who let me know there was a problem with the website, and especially the 10 or so of you who offered technical assistance.

I have resolved this with the company and this issue will not happen again for at least 2 years.

3XXXDDD

Is there another address we could connect to if such a problem happens in future?

Trevor

Quote from: 3XXXDDD on May 22, 2012, 12:14:06 PM
Is there another address we could connect to if such a problem happens in future?
This problem won't happen again for at least 2 years.

jorch72

Quote from: Trevor on May 22, 2012, 04:32:10 PMThis problem won't happen again for at least 2 years.
Trevor, last I knew, you could buy/rent a domain name for 5 years.
Are you planning on just having Lackey for only 2 more years?? :(

Trevor

Quote from: jorch72 on May 22, 2012, 07:45:43 PM
Quote from: Trevor on May 22, 2012, 04:32:10 PMThis problem won't happen again for at least 2 years.
Trevor, last I knew, you could buy/rent a domain name for 5 years.
Are you planning on just having Lackey for only 2 more years?? :(
Lackey will be around a long time. I was just thinking I might want to rename the domain then. I can always renew it in 2 years, and I should be able to avoid the issue that recently occurred.

Picks-at-Flies

Any lack of offers from this end was purely due to my conclusion that it was an administrative not a technical problem :p

I'll go sort out that donation now :)

Trevor

Quote from: Picks-at-Flies on May 22, 2012, 08:17:40 PM
Any lack of offers from this end was purely due to my conclusion that it was an administrative not a technical problem :p

I'll go sort out that donation now :)
8)

EmJayBee83

Quote from: Trevor on May 22, 2012, 04:32:10 PM
This problem won't happen again for at least 2 years.
And then again two years after that. ;)

Massive necro-post just to thank Trevor for building Lackey and continuing to support this community.