News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Game based on phasakhosu

Started by DNGR, June 05, 2012, 09:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNGR

Hi!

I'm DNGR, and I design games, I have come up with a new idea for a very fast-paced game basedon on "phasakhosu" or known as another name in Britain; first of all I would like to find out if my ideas are any good and then how to implement this game system itno lackeyccg for testplaying purposes.

i had trouble getting the lisences for various fighting games, so the ide of the characters being used are now obsolete.

The name for the project is "DNGRvsTerry" (Terry being an old name for the game it's based on.)

Key Features:
YOU are the star!!
(I will make cards for people with their photo on them if the request)

Fast Gameplay
The game's key element was to maintian a fast paced game with each card being a turn's significant choice, with rounds playing like a card-effect chain more than the gameplay being based on mult-card turrns.

Balanced gameplay
Each card will be tested, and the higher power cards are more difficult to play, while the lower powered ones have better effects; there will be a check for every card made.

Here's the link; dngrvsterry.blogspot.co.uk

Anyway, please take a look and let me know what you think :P
                                          DNGR.

DNGR

Why has nobody told me what they think? is something missing?

Typherion

Many people can't be bothered going to the trouble of using external links just to read stuff. I would encourage you to put whatever ideas you have in this thread.

Not to be rude, but looking only at this thread, I am not getting any information except the fact that you are designing a game of some sort.

Also, asking for general comments is fine, but specific questions might work better. Lastly, posting images of the actual cards will make it more likely for people to give feedback.

DNGR

Well that's just great, and people wonder why there isnt a decent CCG market at the minute.

And why are people going to look at the cards and not understand the game?

The project is based on "shithead" a game I play with my freinds using a standard poker deck; which has simple rules but a fast paced and addictive pace of play, though usually only one card would be played a turn, the speed of the game makes it seem more fluid.

The game itself leaves itself open for various possible effects and gameplay concepts; Though i have tried to keep the basics of the game true to the original I have changed the concept from a shedding-type game to more of a "Battle-System." Those of you who know what "Shithead" is all about will notice the rules as you read them.

Basic Rules:

- Each player must have 40 cards in their decks.
- Each player starts the game with 20 LP and 5 cards in their hand.

Battle Rules:

-A coin is flipped to decide who goes first in the first round, then in subsequent rounds the previous loser goes first.

-Players take their turns by playing one card into their own Battle-Pile, each subsequent player must play a card with equal or higher than the value of the one the opponent played last or play a card with "[BLOCK X]" (Look at the cards.)

-If a player cant play then their battle pile is put into their Discard-pile, and the winner's cards are shuffled into their deck, each card caounts as 1 damage to the loser.

[The game is scaled so that cards with 6 POW or higher are harder to play, also the cards with lower POW valued cards come with better effects.]

[Instead of the 4 Suits there are 4 "colours" which represent different play-styles. these traits are inclusive not a complete rule on each of them;

Red - Offensive-Play; Higher Numbers, punishes defensive players, direct damage
  Blue - Speed-Play; Hand support, Lockdown options, Battle-Pile support
  Yellow - Defensive-Play; +POW effects, Life Gain, Deck Replenishment
  Purple - Alternate-Play; Out of Active-Area play, Counter Strategies, Less common effects
  Colourless - Less based on abilities, they are seemingly more simple, there are "Shine" cards as well, which are all colourless but work well im multi-coloured decks]

Victory Conditions:

- Make your opponent unable to draw a card from their deck
- Reduce their LP to 0

There are 2 "Tags" on cards which mean a specific ruling:

"Shine"
+Every colour whilst not in play/graveyard
+Colourless when played
+Requires one card of each colour (R,B,Y,P inclusive) to play.

"Rush"
[This is similar to the 4 or nothing rule in shithead]
+You may play as many cards as you can with the same number if the first card you played has "rush"
+"[RUSH X]" abilities are activated when X cards are played using this ability
+Effects are always activated after the last card is played.

**General Card Rulings**
+The effect always comes first
+The card is "in play" as it is selected and shown.

DESIGN NOTES
+I wanted to makew the game feel like a gian yu-gi-oh chain.
+The Meta for the first set will be based around multi-coloured decks

the file-size of the library is too big, it's the first post on the blog.

DNGR

The blog is updated, please take a look.

Trevor

Your card template needs a lot of work. Personally, I won't even consider learning a new game unless the card template looks professional. It's not just an aesthetic thing. It implies how much effort has been done developing the game.

Cyrus

Quote from: Trevor on June 13, 2012, 03:39:01 PM
Your card template needs a lot of work... It implies how much effort has been done developing the game.

Although I agree the template needs work, I can't agree with the latter. Some people are game designers not graphics designers. In an actual company (even a small one) those jobs would be separate almost 100% of the time.

That being said the whole one-card-per-turn thing seems like it could be a fun mechanic to base a ccg on to me, would have to see some demo games or something to see if it worked

DNGR

I fully get the "Aesthetic-issue" these are just for test-decks; as I'm meeting with an investor and I would like to teach hi how to play, these were just thorwn up in MS paint for that and that only though; I've ben working on other templates; but "Cyrus" you're right, I lack GFX skills; I'm applying for the funding to get a team which would include a gfx person and a perosn to design an applet (if applicable)

Does anyone know the pros and cons of online TCGS vs physical ones?

The idea for this game was to keep the cards small so people would play it in social situations such as coffee shops and pubs.

The blog will get updated at least oce every 2 to 3 days, so I urge you to keep checking back!

mappel6

I know one definite pro and con for physical versions. Pro, it is more portable. Con, it's high-risk high-reward as it can cost a lot but can also pay you back a good sum, depending on interests in the game.

Kosmosis|Omegan

Digital tcgs can do things you cant IRL. Things that would require lots of note taking calculation or otherwise record keeping can all be digitized with a computer. For example Chaotic, which has a lot of math and many variables to consider. If you need an investor you'd have to try to go Indie or else set up a large enough base that it can be sold to a gaming company.