CCG vs Chess or other similar strategy games

Started by CCGer, January 12, 2010, 04:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which type of games do you prefer?

CCGs
Strategy games like chess, GO and others

malarious

I prefer CCG's and I will tell you why:
- I like personable games (X vs X and in person that is)
- Luck/Chance may mean you can be in trouble, but a properly designed deck is rare to disappoint.  There is a reason Magic has mulligan rule when it was made by a math major.
- I prefer making my own thing rather than it all being the same thing.  How many games of chess have you played with either a queens or kings gambit?
- I rather play my kind of crappy deck that I built for fun (XYZ dragon for instance) than play "Top Game" decks usually.  Will I win world tournys? No but I rarely build for such a purpose.
- I like variety, and chess is a game of optimums, most players have set reactions to a number of situations brought on by frequent repetition.

As to some of the comments...
* Duelmasters did something right and wrong by having shield triggers.  on the one hand you can get smacked for attacking (which isnt actually all that unheard of), but what it does right is that the person "down" gets a small boost to try to catch back up.  Card sucked?  Use it as mana.

* Not all games even have mana or such resources, I am seeing a rising trend of games not to have devoted resources and instead use more open means.

Thats just my thoughts and hopefully gives some insight and useful feedback.

Eagleas

I played many CCG (not only magic), mostly over the real board (that feeling of real opponent has some magic :)) and also more variant of chess (standard, fisher random, crazyhouse, bughouse, raindrop chess) most of it also over the real board. And true is that games which have same starting position are in long term more like home-work battles of opening. But the line is not so clear, standard chess is in present very boring, then are chess variants which are turn based and where material heuristic works best ie where after sacrificing pieces for attack often opponent fast search how to return some pieces back to You and with rest is winning - typical standard chess, more higher level of game, more valid). In some very tactic games although its so many possibilities that opening knowledge is hard to use even on top level seems.  Especially if game is played in real time. Nice example is bughouse chess what is team game where time is par of position, so coming pieces from partner board are more or less random (btw. try join some gathering in US or in europe, for exmple part of bigest festival of chess and games Czech Open has many gatherings, for example bughousechess.wz.cz/BughouseGathering). Raind drop chess is too randomand not CCG. In bughouse what is very tactical game the opening plays simmilar role like in CCG making deck. There is no hidden information, but the branching is so big that even if You will play it in slower time control like 30s for move (often its played like in 2-3s for move) You never can get same opening twice, the draw is also very rare.
So its the question, exists some board games which are CCG by nature or very close but are not played by using cards ? Or how big difference is among such games ?

emmalopez

I would prefer strategic games like chess, GO and others. These help developing the role play and strategic skills.

useful resource