News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Help with ideas for a resource system (again)

Started by Typherion, July 14, 2012, 12:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typherion

Just writing to hopefully get some feedback on what I think might finally be the perfect resource system for this game!

This idea came about after I realised that the problem that kept arising was my inability to balance two different resources: cards vs energy cost. The simplest answer to this problem - just make the value of 1 energy = 1 card.

Final Attempt?
  • Players start the game with 6 cards in their hand.
  • Players have 3 Energy each turn they can spend to summon creatures and/or draw cards.
  • Creatures cost 1-3 Energy to summon.
  • Spells don't cost any Energy to cast.
  • Drawing cards costs 1 Energy per card.
  • Players don't draw cards at the start of their turn.

Example 1
    Turn 1: Player A spends 3 Energy to summon 3 Lvl I creatures, leaving 3 cards in hand.
    Turn 2: Player A spends 3 Energy to draw 3 cards, and so has 6 cards in hand again.

Example 2
    Turn 1: Player A spends 3 Energy to summon 1 Lvl III creature, then casts 2 spells, ending with 3 cards in hand.
    Turn 2: Player A spends 2 Energy to summon 2 Lvl I creatures, then spends 1 Energy to draw 1 card, ending with 2 cards in hand.

This system appears to cover everything I wanted to achieve:

• It allows for multiple creatures to be summoned in a single turn,
    • It allows for Lvl III creatures to be summoned at any time during a game,
    • It balances free spells alongside creatures with a resource cost,
    • I think it also encourages using more cheap creatures and fewer expensive ones, but I'm not 100% sure about the behaviour it promotes...

If all goes well, I hope to make a new thread for Summoner including the new resource system, other improvements, and a stunning new card template!

Kevashim

I really like this idea. Your system is simple and yet adds a layer of depth to basic resource usage.

The only issue is the balance between the free spells, but still that just comes down to the design.

Dragoon

My only qualms are with the free spell stuff. (It would be better to make most spells free, and have more powerful spells level 1-3) Otherwise, a good idea.

3XXXDDD

I like, nothing big to keep track of and can punish and or restrict players for having a huge-beat based deck.

I'd agree with Dragoon, free cards are fine but if they are ever powerful enough spells should consist of some cost. If they are all free your stuck with making weak spells to help accommodate for balanced game-play where it should really be the other way around (I think)?

Typherion

Quote from: Dragoon on July 31, 2012, 07:01:42 AM
My only qualms are with the free spell stuff. (It would be better to make most spells free, and have more powerful spells level 1-3) Otherwise, a good idea.
I may end up doing this, but I'm especially worried about balancing powerful direct damage spells because I don't want creatureless decks to be viable.

Quote from: 3XXXDDD on July 31, 2012, 08:10:29 AM
I like, nothing big to keep track of and can punish and or restrict players for having a huge-beat based deck.

I'd agree with Dragoon, free cards are fine but if they are ever powerful enough spells should consist of some cost. If they are all free your stuck with making weak spells to help accommodate for balanced game-play where it should really be the other way around (I think)?
Yeah, the intention is for spells to be generally weak so that the focus is on summoning creatures. Also, with players having to spend energy to draw cards, spells effectively cost 1 energy each and creatures cost 2-4 energy.

The value of a spell should be equal to the difference between the value of two creatures 1 Lvl apart. So playing an enchantment to boost your Lvl I should make it the same size as your opponent's Lvl II - they paid 1 extra energy while you paid 1 extra card to get the same effect.

Of course, spells that are narrower or that have a drawback will have a bigger payoff. Spells may end up adopting the same energy costs as creatures in the end, but I'm still not sure how I would balance it while keeping the focus on creatures.

Other games give creatures summoning sickness to balance them against spells - But I want creatures to be able to act immediately. For the near future at least I think I'll just keep spells weak and free until I get my head around balancing.

Kevashim

Just keep the spells weak and free forever. There is no requirement to ensure that spells are an even match for creatures when you are making yor own game. My balance concern would really be with the 3 levels of creature, it may be hard to maintain balance with only 3 levels of cost.

Regardless, try and get an alpha together as what you have proposed sounds good and like it could work.