News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

is there a /command for looking at a deck?

Started by Jynks, July 23, 2012, 09:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jynks

is there a /command that functions like the right-click on deck zone reveal 2 option?

Be cool to make a button to reveal to playe that presses the button the top 5 card of the encounter deck for example

Trevor

I'm not sure if there is a function like that, but I could add one easily. I actually think it might be a lot easier to do things manually, or draw them to the table.

Jynks

The problem with drawing to the table is that there is no easy way to send to the bottom of the deck and not shuffle and that when you draw to the table even if the plugin maker sets it to place the card face down both players can use the peak (hold down shift) button to look at the card. So if the rules require the player to have this information hidden there is no way to ensure that there isn't cheating.

This is of course when scry'n a shared deck zone, as the right click send to deck menu doesn't work and as both players control the card both can peak.

Yes the right click menu works fine I just get a lot of mails saying it is fiddly and easy to select the wrong option. As you right click select witch player to reveal to and then select from a huge list. So was just wondering if there was a way to macro this.

Trevor

Well, even if I macro it, it could only be for a specific case, like a specific number of cards, a specific source (zone, zone owner, and top/bottom), and a specific destination (zone, zone owner, and top/bottom).

So unless you need this for a very specific purpose, you would need to make a bunch of different macros for each case. There really isn't a way around that, and less you can think of one. I believe how it works now is functional, even though people may make a mistake occasionally. Perhaps the best solution is to just be understanding of when a player makes a mistake occasionally. You can use the quick revert to autosave to help in undoing a mistake like that, and perhaps this would help mitigate the occasional mistake.
Or perhaps it might be simpler to just not have things emulate exactly like real life, and perhaps let all players see the cards or something like that if it makes gameplay substantially more easy. I'm not saying that is the best solution, but one to consider. As long as it was agreed that that's how it was always done, it would be fair when any player did that sort of thing.

Some things are much better in a virtual environment, like shuffling cards. Some things aren't as elegant in a virtual environment, like peeking at the top of a deck. No matter what the interface is, nothing will be as simple and intuitive as just picking up a card with your hand and it may be unreasonable to expect it to be. If you can think of a better way to do this, please let me know. But I don't think a bunch of macros are a step in the right direction. Wouldn't you agree?

Jynks

completely agree.. maybe the solution would be to have a .command but to not use buttons, then people can simply type "/scry <deckzone> #" then everyone is satisfied, as in the right click menu is there as always, people can type in manually for specific case if they wish instead and if they make a deck that has say 4xponder they can simple make a quick button to scry that number while playing by simply typing "/scry player deck 3" it and then right clicking.. for example.

Trevor

I kind of think no one would actually make macros like that.

I use short macros, like:

/d7
/pc
/r
/-5

I don't think I would bother typing out a bunch of words. You comment that there is the potential for error when clicking a menu item, but I think there is more chance of error making a typo.
That said, people COULD make a macro and save it and use that canned message button, but I don't think many people would A) know how to or B) bother to. That said, I don't think it would hurt anything if the option for that existed for that minority that know how to and would want to, so I will add it as soon as I am finished with the stuff I am working on now.

Morgue

How about a <generalfunction> to reveal the top 'N' cards to the player?
This would be beneficial to my plugin too.

Trevor

Quote from: Morgue on July 27, 2012, 02:51:18 AM
How about a <generalfunction> to reveal the top 'N' cards to the player?
This would be beneficial to my plugin too.
As I said, this would necessarily have to be a very specific function, thus it wouldn't be reusable for different numbers to reveal.