News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Separate forums?

Started by j5bot, September 10, 2012, 08:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j5bot

I'm new to LackeyCCG and trying to create a plugin for a simple game I'm designing.  I am baffled that there are not separate forums for plugins and plugin development.  I assume there's a lot of good information here that's not yet in any tutorial, but I don't know that I'll ever find it trying to search or sort through the forum manually.

I'll start another thread to ask for help ... but I am definitely suggesting that the plugin authoring and plugin using / information areas of the forum be split so that plugin authors have a better way to look at existing questions and answers.

Trevor

There is a forum for plugins, and a forum for CCG Design Forum. I don't want to have too many forums because people will get confused.

groveland

Another new user here, I'm kind of with j5bot on this.

Mixing discussion of existing plugins with discussion of creating new plugins is making finding answers next to impossible here. I have a lot of more in-depth questions that the tutorial is not covering, and having to wade through pages of threads of people arguing about what images aren't included in the 40k plugin is making this a lot harder than it has to be.

Trevor

So you want separate forums for existing and nascent plugins? That's a really blurry line. Since you can make a functional plugin within minutes, it doesn't really leave much time for it to not be in the regular plugins forum. And I really think people would be confused where they should post if I try to separate the forums more.

innuendo

What I think they (and I) would appreciate is two forums

Plugin Development (Questions and discussion relating to building and supporting plugins)
Plugin Discussion (Questions and discussion about using plugins others made)

It has nothing to do about the existence of the plugin and everything to do about the use. One is for people who write the code, the other is for people trying to use someone else's plugin and getting errors..

Trevor

All discussion of a plugin falls into the category of "Plugin Discussion". When someone someone wants to ask if a plugin exists, where do they post? If someone wants to report an error in a plugin, where do they post it? I really think a lot of people would post in the wrong forum, and I think things would be worse if the plugins forum were split and people starting posting in the wrong place. And I especially don't want to have to be moving forum posts around manually.

I think right now it's simple. If something has anything to do with a plugin, post in the plugin section. I don't think there's so much going on that it makes finding things difficult. There is a search function, which people would probably be using to find things any way.

groveland

This isn't that odd a request. Two very distinct types of users. Players and Devs. The forums in their entirety can (and should) be broken into those two classes.

Players want to find, use, and discuss existing plugins. Players' Forum.

Devs want to talk about making plugins, both designing and coding them. Developer's Forum.

Search function doesn't help when you're so new that you don't even know the name of what you're looking for.

Trevor

Quote from: groveland on September 13, 2012, 09:20:58 AM
This isn't that odd a request. Two very distinct types of users. Players and Devs. The forums in their entirety can (and should) be broken into those two classes.

Players want to find, use, and discuss existing plugins. Players' Forum.

Devs want to talk about making plugins, both designing and coding them. Developer's Forum.

Search function doesn't help when you're so new that you don't even know the name of what you're looking for.
I know what you're all saying, and I think I'll try it. But I don't think things are as clear-cut as they are being presented.