News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

MSE to LackeyCCG for dummies?

Started by thanimal, December 31, 2012, 04:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thanimal

So I downloaded the Magic Set Editor yesterday, and it seems great for creating a Magic Set, a background project of mine since I quit tournament Magic a decade ago.  (If there are any other old Magic players out there, I was the creator of Sabre Bargain waay back...)

Now of course I want to playtest.  I briefly tried Apprentice and Magic Workstation, and wasn't all that impressed.  I was especially disappointed to not actually see the art after finally finding a tool (MSE) that lets me use art!

LackeyCCG looks promising.  I poked around for MSE-LackeyCCG advice, and it seems pretty old and mostly ends with "edit things manually to make it work."  Boo to actual thinking! :)

"Surely" somebody has already done this and has the needed files/scripts/whatever and could walk a super-n00b through it?

Much thank in advance if so!

Fwiw, if I can get this integration working and can truly "play" with my set, I'm definitely the sort likely to make some donations to the developers. :)

innuendo

You're looking to export custom Magic sets in MSE sets to lackey? If so that plugin is about 6 months since I last updated it, so i'm positive it's broken at this point. If you are just looking to use existing Magic cards, the magic plugin already in lackey has all of those cards.

If you are looking to export a custom Game to lackey that's different.

thanimal

Yes, looking to use custom magic cards (only; don't need any real ones) in LackeyCCG.

innuendo

Someone would have to update the MSE to lackey exporter. I helped write the original, but if i'm being frank I really don't have any desire to update it. You can ask on the MSE forums.

thanimal

Fwiw, I think I have this working.

The script had only one tiny bug: a missing space after "file:" that was causing the first argument (the set name) to get munged and thus the files were just named 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc.  (Of course, I could have changed the image file name in the .txt portion of the results to match that; the point is that they have to match.)

The details of how to then install this data into the current LackeyCCG magic plugin seem to have changed considerably, but were relatively easy to discover by reading some of the LackeyCCG tutorial pages.

And now that I have it all set up, it appears that a re-export to LackeyCCG is just a matter of copying and renaming the output text file and image directory.

I may not have another round of "free" time on this until the weekend or later, but I've gotten as far as dealing myself a hand of my own beautiful cards and moving them around on a table.  And that is pretty darned cool!!

I did notice that I should probably increase the priority of putting basic land cards into MSE, though...

jorch72

Quote from: thanimal on January 02, 2013, 03:33:06 PMFwiw, I think I have this working.
Will you share your set??
I really like to see it.
I also play Magic and would love to see new sets.

thanimal

Unfortunately, I do not expect to share with a general audience, because there are copyright issues with the art.  For personal use, I can use pretty much anything I find.  But redistribution gets "interesting" -- too much so for me.  I don't know if there is a way to export cards without the art.

Also, my set is an indefinite project, so never "done."