News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Alternative CCG Resource Methods

Started by eddy, January 13, 2013, 01:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddy

Hi guys,

I have been contemplating about the following ideas, and as I do not have any other ideas how to implement them, I thought others have some other thoughts as well. These are just ideas, and even I'm not sure whether they could be realized in a game.

1. Flow Resource Mechanism
Basically in every CCG the player builds up its own resources (playing lands, getting energy/mana, etc). My idea would be that somehow one players resource depends on the other players action.
For example there are 10-15 tokens in the game, and when I spend them, they flow to the other player or into some common pool. (Like gold coins spent by the king, flows to the merchants and the other king gets them by force or taxing). So the tokens would circulate in the game, and would provide a tactical element. If I don't spend, I will have less cards on the area, but the other can't spend either, and so on.
My problem is that the tokens can't flow directly, as if I spent all my tokens in one turn, then the other player would have all the tokens in the game. To control that I thought there might be a common pool, so the spent tokens get there first, and only after a turn or two they become available for spending. But how to get the tokens out from the common pool? Let the players spend from the pool? Or somehow distribute the tokens?

2. Cooperative Resource Mechanism
The CCG is a confrontative game, so it basic concept can not be changed. But what if somehow there were one segment in a game where I have to cooperate with the other player to gain advantage. (It is not necessary the resources, but this is what could be interesting in my opinion.) So is there an idea how could the players forced to cooperate (for example sacrifice minions, suffering some cost) to earn more resources? And what if only one of the players willing to cooperate? Should he be rewarded with smaller prizes or nothing at all, making the cooperation similar to gamble (I make sacrifices, but if the other does not do the same, I will gain nothing)

Thanks in advance for the ideas,
Cheers

Turonik

Flow thing reminds me of how Lord of the rings handled resources, there was good cards that added tokens into a pool and that let the other player play evil cards.

something like that could work, the more you play the easier it is for your opponent can play cards.

Dan55

I am using something like your "flow" description in my Lovecraftian Horror game (although actually I'm using multiple ways of generating resources).

A player plays a cards and pays for it by adding tokens to his personal "Mythos Pool".  His opponents may then play adversary cards by "spending" these tokens.