New version of Lackey available for testing. You must read this post to use it

Started by Trevor, February 14, 2013, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

UPDATE: New version posted 3/7/13

If you want to test the new version of Lackey, that's great. But if you do, READ THIS ENTIRE POST because it tells you things you need to know. Please do NOT just blindly click the download link. The old version and this version are not compatible, and the old version is still online and functioning, and the old version is still the one you see on the downloads page.

This new version is a very different version than the old version, whether or not those changes are visible. And some of the changes are quite visible, notably the new interface design.

Regarding the new interface design:
There are 2 big changes to the new interface. First, it uses truetype fonts, and you can use your own fonts. These are .ttf files, and they go in either the fonts folder of lackey, or a plugin can define its own fonts folder. You can use funky fonts specific to your plugin, but I really advise against that. The best fonts are those that are easy to read, and don't take up too much space.
The second change to the interface is it is now based on images. For example, a button is created from a button image. These are .png files and they are stored in your images/interface/ folder, or in your plugin's images/interface/ folder. You can use funky GUI elements specific to your plugin, but I advise you not to make things distractingly weird.
Also note that the font size is also customizable, and this means that the actual GUI elements will change in size as well. If you want larger buttons, you can now have them. If you want chat text to be bigger, you can do that now.

One of the main reasons I am releasing this test version with the new interface is that I acknowledge that it looks pretty crappy right now and I would greatly appreciate the Lackey community assisting me with improving it. The buttons and other GUI elements that are in place are temporary proof-of-concept placeholder images. While the interface doesn't look great now, I believe the infrastructure that I put in place will allow for a great looking GUI once proper GUI images are developed.

For those with an artistic eye that want to improve the interface, take a look at the images/interface folder. Most GUI elements, like a button, are composed of 3 parts. Consider a button. It's associated GUI image components are:
Quotebutton-text-right-selected.png
button-text-right-selected-mouseover.png
button-text-right-inactive.png
button-text-right-default.png
button-text-right-default-mouseover.png
button-text-middle-selected.png
button-text-middle-selected-mouseover.png
button-text-middle-inactive.png
button-text-middle-default.png
button-text-middle-default-mouseover.png
button-text-left-selected.png
button-text-left-selected-mouseover.png
button-text-left-inactive.png
button-text-left-default.png
button-text-left-default-mouseover.png
A button is composed of a left edge, a middle (which stretches as needed), and a right edge. And there is a different version for each button state (default, mouseover, selected, or inactive).
Some interface elements are a lot simpler, such as the Ex button.
Quotebutton-ex-inactive.jpg
button-ex-default.jpg
button-ex-default-mouseover.jpg
And some elements are more complicated, like the spreadsheet interface.
It is quite possible, and probably likely, that some coding tweaks need to be done for the interface to look better. If you have suggestions for changes, please let me know.

Another note regarding fonts. You must have the fonts folder adjacent to the Lackey exe. Lackey will not function properly without it, and send you to a webpage informing you as such. When testing out this new version, you need to use the entire zipped folder as it contains new libraries and other files that this new version requires. Do not just move the new exe to your old lackey folder. You can, however, add your old plugins folder to this new version (and that will include your old decks).

One change is the way player stats look. Click the box to bring up a dialogue that lets you add or subtract. Escape quickly gets rid of it. Or if you don't want to use this new dialogue, you can mouse over the stats box and use the up and down arrow keys to increment and decrement.

There is currently an issue where downloading files makes things hang a sec until the file downloads.

The iPad version will be released soon. I want to make sure this version works well on the desktop first.

I am working on getting the new server up and running. Until then, you can't use the new server (or the old server). I'll post more about that as soon as I can.

This version is still a bit buggy and I'm working on it.

The new version can be downloaded from these links:
http://www.lackeyccg.com/LackeyCCGWinTest.zip
http://www.lackeyccg.com/LackeyCCGMacTest.zip

UPDATE: To connect to the new server, connect to it by the IP address  71.190.135.203 and port 25712.

UPDATE: 3/7/13.
The mac version should now work on 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8.
In order to help me fix the non-qwerty keyboard stuff, I enabled a debug console and a debug log file. If you have a non-qwerty keyboard, please pay attention to this debug log. Please go through your entire keyboard and then send me the 000Debug.txt file that Lackey generates.

Trevor

Nava, I fixed the issue where it wouldn't launch on <10.8 macs. I will post a new version tomorrow.

Sydnelson

Bug report:

I have keyboard problems (again) with this new version.

When I press CAPS LOCK, Home, End, Insert, Page Down/Up, and others keyboard keys lackey shows some letters in text field.

Also when I press: / ? ? ? ` and other characters on keyboard, lackey simple ignore this characters or put spaces instead then.

When I try put my email address I press key 1 on keyboard and lackey brinks 2 times, if i press mouse buton on lackey to try use it again lackey simple crash. This bug only occours if I use key 1 in left side of keyboard, if I use numpad lackey works normal.

On sound preferences Test button doesn't work.

On SoundShare Painel Listen to a File button also doesn't work

On Key Bindings I see some shortcuts that uses META\Command key, in Windows keyboards this key doesn't exist, you can subst this key in windows version of lackey for WinKey (be carefull to not use Windows shortcuts)

Recent playmat and background list doesn't work, to change this thing you need to browse it again.

Counters also doesn't work, when I add more than 1 counter to a card in table, only one counter apears (in log count is ok), I also try show card counter as number but doesn't work.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Trevor

Non-qwerty keyboards should be supported with this new version, but I haven't tested it much. I will look into that. I think that is related to all the other key binding things. I'll look into those other things. What operating system do you have?

Sydnelson

Quote from: Trevor on February 15, 2013, 08:04:04 AM
Non-qwerty keyboards should be supported with this new version, but I haven't tested it much. I will look into that. I think that is related to all the other key binding things. I'll look into those other things. What operating system do you have?

S.O.: Windows 8 Pro x64
Keyboard type: Brazilian ABNT2
System Language: English
System Locale: Brazil

Nava

Some observations:

• Buttons displaying log commands do not grow with log commands
  • Log command syntax with !Name!/command displays "!Name!/command" instead of "!Name!" on buttons
  • Saved games can be opened with different player names and all cards visible  and flipped on the table can be revealed
  • /lcd reveals the last card drawn regardless of player issuing the command
  • Non qwerty is not supported

Sydnelson

Another bug, when a plugin update is avaiable lackey ask for a update when open, but if you click in Update nothing happens.

I test update plugin under Prefences > Plugins and works fine.

Trevor

Quote from: Nava on February 16, 2013, 02:21:13 PM
Some observations:

• Buttons displaying log commands do not grow with log commands
That's by design. If they did, there wouldnt be much room for many.
  • Log command syntax with !Name!/command displays "!Name!/command" instead of "!Name!" on buttons
  • Saved games can be opened with different player names and all cards visible  and flipped on the table can be revealed
I will look into this.
  • /lcd reveals the last card drawn regardless of player issuing the command
This is by design.
  • Non qwerty is not supported
I am looking into the non-qwerty issue.

Gordon228

the new look is good but would there be a way to make it so that we can undock items like say the deck editor for use with multy screen displays. that would make deck testing and editing a lot easier for people that have more then 1 monitor.

Trevor

Quote from: Gordon228 on February 22, 2013, 11:32:07 PM
the new look is good but would there be a way to make it so that we can undock items like say the deck editor for use with multy screen displays. that would make deck testing and editing a lot easier for people that have more then 1 monitor.
That won't be in soon, but you should be able to open another copy of lackey and run in your other monitor. The deck you make in one, you can load in the other (by opening the file with the other).

Trevor

I just posted a new version which I think fixed a number of issues that people reported.

It should now run on mac 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8.
I think I fixed the keyboard problems, but I haven't tested much on non-qwerty.
I fixed some keyboard problems which caused the reported crashes.
I fixed card counter text (although I am still improving it because it doesn't look great not).
Fixed the "CAPS LOCK, Home, End, Insert, Page Down/Up" bug Sydnelson reported.

And other fixes but I still am working on things.

Sydnelson

Quote from: Trevor on March 04, 2013, 05:36:57 PM
I just posted a new version which I think fixed a number of issues that people reported.

It should now run on mac 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8.
I think I fixed the keyboard problems, but I haven't tested much on non-qwerty.
I fixed some keyboard problems which caused the reported crashes.
I fixed card counter text (although I am still improving it because it doesn't look great not).
Fixed the "CAPS LOCK, Home, End, Insert, Page Down/Up" bug Sydnelson reported.

And other fixes but I still am working on things.

Keyboard bugs persist in Windows version...

When I press caps lock the number 9 apear on text.
When I press ? a space apear instead.
When I press Insert key a character I apears intead.
Home, End, / and ? keys doesn't work.
Special chars like ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? also doesn't work.
NumPad stil work even it is disable by NumLock key.
Accentuation also doesn't work. Accent keys like ? ` ? ^ doesnt work too. Only ~ apears normal but doesnt work if you try to use it with a another character (? ?, ?)
My primary keyboard is Brazilian ABNT2, I try other keyboard type like Arabian or Japanese and both of then doesnt work too.

Counter number is not good,  no contrast or borders in text make it not visible most of times..

Lackey icon on task bar and in left top corner of program also is missing.

Meta key also still apearing in default shortcuts (the correct one is WIN key)

Trevor

DrQwerty

Try to add support to .svg files or use directories like gnu/linux do with the icons:

images/interface/*

to

images/interface/svg/*
images/interface/16/*
images/interface/24/*
images/interface/32/*

etc.

Because this:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4771/72972760.png