News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

The Magitech Wars

Started by Malagar, March 14, 2013, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malagar

UPDATE: Name, Theme and several mechanics of this game changed. There will be a detailled update within the next weeks. We also got a talented artist for this game. The new name is also the new theme: "The Magitech Wars". There have also been efforts to step away from the "Elemental Wizards duelling battle game" style you see everywhere.

My second "commercial" project (well, print-and-play for a few bucks) for this year - expect release late 2013!

* The Magitech Wars - expandable board/card hybrid combat game
* 2-4 players ages 10+, playtime 30-60 minutes (depends on number of players)
* Uses cards, six sided dice, a board and a few tokens
* Combat: Attacker rolls 1d6 + attack, Defender rolls 1d6 + defense, higher roll wins and deals one hit
* Each cards features up to three special abilities and can be played as both: a creature or a spell
* There is no deck (!) - you start with your whole deck in your hand (!!)
* Bears strong resemblance with a computer game on the C64 from 1983
* Features a Phantasy Star Online like "Techno Fantasy Theme"

cheers!
-Tobias

MLaRF

Looks cool, might pick up the plugin, I'd say just change the white text in the white box to something like black text, the shadow isn't too helpful. Also, what's the empty hexagon on the bottom?

Malagar

Thanks!

Yes, i thought about changing the white text as well

* Top hex is cost
* the shield is power, additional icons will be added below
* main text is abilities
* rounded text box with crystal is spell effect
* The empty hex (crystal) on the bottom is used to generate resources

And yes, the graphics are nice and fine (suited for kids also) and they are NOT ripped from another game...

Malagar

some new stuff from this game. note: this is not complete, it is rather a concept (although an advanced one).

being a designer by trade i always try to build good looking conceptuals for my games - it spices up the creation process!

1. how the rulebook would look
2. a sample card template
3. how the board would look

Malagar

Revised "Shadow Element" template from my side-project "The Magitech Wars" (title changed a while ago).

feel free to also like the project on facebook (as most updates will be there): http://facebook.magitechwars.com

Malagar

we proudly present the first, play tested, balanced and artistically finished card from our upcoming game

THE MAGITECH WARS - techno fantasy skirmish battles

* available soon via The Gamecrafter for Print-on-demand (it wont be expensive and has no random card boosters)
* available with a 40% discount for home print-and-play on Wargamevault (even cheaper and you can reprint cards as you like)
* and also available completely for free for LackeyCCG someday

THE WHITE KNIGHT

* With a cost of 3 he is medium priced (and you get quite a lot for that cost)
* His power of 9 outmatches all weenies and rank-and-file minions
* Two health points make him quite durable
* The Protector ability is both a blessing and a curse at the same time
* Speed of Light makes him strike so fast, his enemies have no chance to react
* The Lightning Reflexes Technique allows you to play this card as an attachment instead too.

Into the light!

malleck666

I'm liking the look of this and look forward to its release  Will follow you closely!
Nice to see a good original idea. I've toyed with the idea of moving cards on a field myself so im glad to see a working system!

Malagar

thanks.

yeah the concept is a bit older, it took me a while to get everything right. This is inspired by Summoner Wars, Mage Wars and also the WOTC miniatures game Dreamblade (now OOP).

Magitech Wars has no deck, instead you put all your cards (24) face up in front of you when the game starts. It also uses a MTG like mana system that ramps up, so you dont start with all your units in play. two major factors delayed the design:

1. not all people like boardgames that are played with cards. especially when the game is not a real card game. but i still decided for cards as miniatures are out of question and tiles are just bad (not enough space for art and rules). you just have to be aware that this is more a boardgame than a cardgame. thats all.

2. getting the card movement and the gameboard to work. usually, games like this tend to be slow and boring at the start (especially with a ramp up mana system). but we finally got it right:

take a look at the gameboard in my previous post. first of all its small. second, you dont have to move your cards too far into enemy territory - because the victory condition is about conquering the crystals instead. it creates a lot of tension in the middle of the board and concentrates the action on the crystals instead of spreading all units wildly across the board.

finally: all cards may move 1 hex when entering the game already. cards start at the dark grey "portal hexes". as you can see: on turn two, you can already capture your first crystal. and your opponent too. for the first few turns, there are enough crystals for both players.

thats all for now, thanks for reading!

-Malagar (Tobias)

Malagar

Just a quick announcement that the free PDF Rulebook for ?The Magitech Wars? has been released. Head straight to the download section and grab your copy. Be sure to read the rules thoroughly before the Nexus Core Set is released (wich will be soon)!

http://www.magitechwars.com/downloads