News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Shift - The Single Card Card Game

Started by 3XXXDDD, March 22, 2013, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3XXXDDD

Shift is an anime themed card game in which players duel using a single card and some coins. Shift cards have stats and Modifiers on all four sides, called Gears. Each card functions like a deck in a traditional CCG, where each Gear is a separate hand. And much like decks in a CCG, each card rewards different strategies and play styles.

Players take turns attacking or shifting their cards to another Gear. To use a Gear's Modifier, you might have to pay a cost; costs may require flipping a coin, or paying spirit - which is earned by taking damage. The first player to deal six damage to their opponent wins!

This game has already reached it's goal on Kickstarter so it will be created. I got to say, despite the heavy coin-flipping and that card art being somewhat squashed, I'm actually loving this game. It's nice to have something that can just fit in your wallet too. It's quite refreshing to say the least.

The Kickstarter ends this Sunday, $7 ($12 if outside US) for a PnP Template, $15 ($20 if outside of US) for fully developed set of 10 cards - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/laboratory/shift-the-single-card-ccg

LackeyCCG Plugin

QuoteNotes
Spending Spirit: First click "Heal Damage" then click "Spend Spirit"
Refreshing Spirit: First click "Heal Damage/Refresh Spirit" then click "Deal Damage"
Healing Spent Spirit: Click "Heal Damage/Refresh Spirit". DO NOT CLICK "Heal Damage"
Healing Active Spirit: Click "Heal Damage". DO NOT CLICK "Heal Damage/Refresh Spirit"

How to Play Video

Critical Preview

Kosmosis|Omegan

Did you make this? Or were you on the team?

Trevor

Why do the power and guard stats all have extra meaningless zeros tacked on at the end? It seems like a complicated enough game to not have young kids be the demographic, so why the arbitrary inflation (which is usually aimed at Timmy)?

Kosmosis|Omegan

Makes the numbers look cooler and works better for graphics.

See: Yugioh, CFV, Kaijudo/DM...

Also hey trevor! Getting playtesters and card designers is a biyatch.

:(

3XXXDDD

Quote from: Trevor on April 04, 2013, 02:37:23 AM
Why do the power and guard stats all have extra meaningless zeros tacked on at the end? It seems like a complicated enough game to not have young kids be the demographic, so why the arbitrary inflation (which is usually aimed at Timmy)?

Didn't see this. I think it's nostalgia more than anything, he talked about Yugioh a lot in his Kickstarter.

Burst

The super scale numbers does seem Yugioh-ish in a not necessarily helpful way.

However, a 10-scale instead of 100-scale might be useful as a starting point.

Why the extra 0?  Because it allows you to build future cards with stats of 15, 27,  3, etc.

One of the things I don't like about magic design is the 1-scale.  A lot of cards could have been better had there been an inbetween value of power or toughness  for a particular amount of mana; but, because they went with a small scale too early in development it's impacted all card design since.

If your numbers are big simply for the sake of being big, then I totally agree with Trevor that it's kind of silly.
If your numbers are big to allow for future development freedom then I think it's a good idea but 10 is probably sufficient;  in all likelihood increments of 2 or 3 is probably enough but for easy math I can appreciate wanting to start with 10s and deviate when a good concept/balance warants.