News:

A forum for users of LackeyCCG

Main Menu

Aspects CCG

Started by malleck666, March 25, 2013, 07:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malleck666

Greetings.

For those of you who have seen, I recently posted about a card game i was in the process of developing. After many, many, (many), many reviews, I decided to shelve the idea until I had a bigger team to work with and I could find a formula that worked. Alas, I am back with another new idea which came to me not too long after starting my original piece.

Introducing: Aspects

The concept of this CCG is far, far simpler than my last idea and I feel that it is a much faster paced and friendlier installment. After taking on board the advice of many community members, including Trevor, I developed this project. I am in the process of finalising my card images ready for the plugin so please look out for that in the near future. For now, I leave you with the rulings and how-to-play. So please take a look and let me know what you think. All feedback is appreciated.

It should be worth noting that once the plugin is released, this will be the play testing phase. I will opening a forum for those who will to test the game and would like to contribute their feedback from playing the game.

Thank you...

Rulings

Overview
Aspects is a turn based strategy CCG that sees players strategically place structures, deploy minions and cast spells. Each player is a God that commands armies against opposing Gods. Each has two rows that minions and structures occupy that will act as a barrier for their life points. Players will aim to create an opportunity to leave their opponent open and susceptible to attack.

Each player has two rows which will be populated with their minions and structures. A player cannot be attacked as long as they have a structure or minion as a viable attack target under their control. A player must first break through their first line of defence, their front row, before taking out their second and finally ordering direct attacks at an opposing God. A player can continue to place minions and structures on a row of their choice to bolster their defences and protect their life points.

Preparation      
Each player has a deck of 60 cards. No more than 4 of each unique card can be included in a deck (unless ?Unlimited? is printed on the card.) Each player?s deck is shuffled and both draw 5 cards. Player?s decide who takes their turn first.

-If a player has more than 6 cards in their hand during their end phase, they must discard cards from their hand until they have 6 remaining.

Each player has 20 life points and a player is considered defeated once their life points reach 0 points. There is no upper limit to the amount of life points a player can have.

Turn Sequence

Ready Phase - At the start of their turn, the player un-taps all of their structures and minions.
Draw Phase - The player then draws a card
Action Phase - Structures, minions and instants can now be played. The player may also attack opposing units and players.
        Any number of structures can be placed per turn. They can be placed on either row.
        Any number of minions can be played per turn as long as they can be afforded.
        Any of these actions, including attacking, can be done in any order during a turn.
        Each minion can attack only once per turn (unless otherwise stated).
        A unit that is able to shift between rows can do so only once per turn (unless otherwise stated).
        At the end of the turn, the player wraps up and passes to the next player.

Rows
Each player has two rows that structures and minions can be placed on; a front row and a back row. When a player plays a minion or structure, they can place them onto either row. There is no limit to the number of units that can be placed onto either row.

When a player uses a unit to attack, they must first attack a front-most unit that that player controls. For example, if a player has a minions and structures on both of their rows, their front row must be attacked and cleared before any attacks can be made on their back row and only once both their front and back rows are empty can an attack be made against that player?s life points. Units that are behind other units cannot be attacked or attack. For example, while I have units on my front row, my units on the back cannot be attacked or attack.

Win Conditions
A player is deemed the victor when all other opposing players fall under the following losing conditions.
-A player is unable to draw a card from their deck when required to as their deck as been depleted.
-Their life points have been reduced to 0.

Card Types
Minions
Minions are the units that a player will use to attack opposing players. To play a minion, a player must pay their cost which is shown in the top right hand corner of the card. Minions may perform a variety of actions:

Attack ? A minion may attack an opposing unit. Each minion can only attack once per turn (unless otherwise stated) and cannot attack on the first turn that they are played (although some keywords may modify this). When a minion attacks another minion, damage calculation is carried out as follows:
Damage bonuses for each card are calculated from effects and elemental advantage and applied to each card (unless the effect states the bonus is applied at another time).
The attacking minion deals damage to the opposing minion equal to its attack. Damage tokens can be used to represent damage on a minion.
If the opposing minion is not dealt fatal damage then it retaliates and deals damage back to the attacker equal to its own attack.
Minions do not tap to attack.

Shift ? Shifting a minion involves moving it from one row to another. A minion can only be shifted once per turn. A minion cannot be shifted if it was played this turn.
Effect ? A minion may have an effect printed in its text. If the effect is preceded by the tag word Tap, then the monster must be tapped (card is turned to its side) for the effect to take place.
Rank Up ? Some minions may have Rank Up counterparts. Minions that have ?Ranks up from [Card Name]? can be played from the hand by sending the named card from the field to the graveyard instead of paying its cost. Ranking up a minions counts as playing it and follows the rule that states the new minion can?t attack or shift on that turn.

These actions can be performed in any order during the controlling player?s turn.

A breakdown of the parts of the card is shown below:

Card Name ? The name of the card; no more than 4 of each card with the same printed name can be included in a deck.
Card Element / Cost ? This is the cost that must be paid in order to play this card. The cost is shown with an elemental type. For example, a minion that displays the number 3 and the fire (red) symbol as its cost will cost 3 fire resources to play. Monsters that have a basic (white) type cost can be played by using any elemental type of resource. The elemental type in the minion?s cost is the minion?s element. This is used during elemental bonus calculation.
Artwork ? This is the image for the card. It makes it look pretty.
Type / Category ? This line is displayed as the following example shows: Minion ? Humanoid. These are used to aid with card type checking and often are required for certain effects.
Text ? The card?s text contains card effects, rank up information and flavour text. Card effects are effects that can be activated by following the instructions on the card. They can be activated when the controlling player has priority. Rank up information is in the following format: Ranks up from [Card Name] and is usually the first line of text on the card?s text field. Flavour text is purely for decoration and flavour and serves no other purpose.
Statistics ? This is the minion?s attack and health. They are in the following format: X | Y, where X is the minion?s attack and Y is the minion?s health; along with its attack, an elemental symbol which determines its attack?s elemental type which is used during bonus calculation.

Structures
Structures are used to bolster defences and generate resources. Any number of structures can be played from the hand per turn. Structures are tapped to generate an amount of resources equal to the amount shown and of the same type. A structure cannot be tapped to pay multiple costs, for example, a minion that costs 1 fire to play has a fire structure that generates 2 fire resources tapped in order to pay its cost; that extra 1 resource that was not used is lost and the minion is considered overfunded but continues to behave as normal.

Structures have a number of resources that they can generate by being tapped. These resources are used to pay the costs for minions and instants. Structures generate different elemental types of resources which is shown on the card at the bottom of the text field.

Structures have a health value in the bottom right corner which determines how much damage it can take before it is destroyed. No type advantage damage bonuses can be gained from attacking a structure. Structures cannot retaliate.

A structure cannot shift itself.

Instants
Instants are cards that act as spells that a God can cast. After they are played they are discarded to the graveyard. Either player can play instants on either player?s turn while there is an open priority window. Instants can be chained and when in a chain they are resolved in order from last to first in the chain. Their cost is located in the top right corner of the card and can be paid for with any resource type (unless otherwise stated).

Elements

Elements are a key mechanic to consider, ensuring victory. Each element has an advantage over another elemental type. The advantages are as follows:

Fire > Earth > Water > Fire

When a minion has an advantage, its attack is doubled. This takes effect after any other stat increases or decreases (unless otherwise stated).

When a minion attacks another minion, a damage calculation takes place to determine the outcome and any bonuses to statistics. The attacking minion first uses its attack element which is located near its stats. It is matched against the targeted minion?s element type to determine a bonus. For example, a minion with a fire attack type would receive a bonus against an earth type minion. These calculations are also considered when a minion retaliates. Basic type minions do not currently receive or lose elemental advantage.

Keywords
Below is a list of keywords that are found on minion cards. Keywords are used to represent a recurring effect that can be found on other cards. Not all keywords will be implemented in the first set.

Bolster - This minion?s health is increased by the health of each of your other minion?s health with Bolster.
Camp - This minion cannot shift itself.
Demolition - Double this minion?s attack when attacking structures.
Eager - This minion can attack as soon as it is played.
Energise - When this minion attacks, ready a structure.
Enrage - When one of your minions is destroyed by an opponent, this minion gains +1/+1.
Hideout - This minion cannot be attacked while there is a structure on the same row.
Infiltrate - This minion may attack units on the back row
Invigorate - If this minion destroys a minion or structure, remove all damage from this minion.
Life Drain - If this minion deals excess damage to a minion, the excess is healed from the controller.
Overkill - If this minion deals excess damage to a minion, the excess is dealt to the target?s controller.
Prismatic - Any element type can be paid for this card?s cost.
Rally - This minion?s attack is increased by the attack of each of your other minion?s attack with Rally when they attack.
Ranged - Minions cannot retaliate against this minion.
Regeneration - Remove all damage from this minion at the beginning of each turn.
Retreat - May shift to the back row when an opponent attacks.
Shield - When your opponent attacks, you may assign this minion as the new attack target.
Skirmish - When your opponent attacks, this minion may shift to the front row.
Tactician - When this minion attacks, its attack?s elemental type becomes the type that would receive a bonus versus the opposing minion until the end of the turn (If more than one type would be valid, you choose one).
Victory Rush - If this minion destroys a minion or structure, this minion gains +1/+1.

Thank you very much for reading and I look forward to your opinions!

To see the current Alpha list - please check here!https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspects-CCG/354649167987691

kveman

looks interesting, my only thing is that there are a ton of key words for a new game.... a lot ot remember right off the bat.

malleck666

Quote from: kveman on March 25, 2013, 11:52:04 PM
looks interesting, my only thing is that there are a ton of key words for a new game.... a lot ot remember right off the bat.

Thank you. I see your concern, but as stated in the main post, not all keywords will be introduced immediately. The first few prints that contain keywords will be bracketed to assist the player.

Cyrus

I hate to be this guy, but it seems a lot like magic. How many differently labelled elemental battle games does the world really need?
I'm not trying to say scrap the project or anything, but I feel like it might be difficult to get new players interested in a game that seems a lot like a game they've already played no matter how their experience with that game went (if they like magic, your game isn't enough like it, if they don't like magic, it's too much like it).
Just my two cents. Structures for defense and ranking up seem like cool ideas though!

MLaRF

On rulings: is milling out a win condition? is there a max hand size? what's the starting hand size? do we get any mulligans, and if so, how many, and do they carry a penalty like drawing 1 less or allowing your opponent to draw 1 more or whatnot?

On keywords: bolster, rally, and tactician seem like they'd be really broken, the first two because having a lot of minions with them would make their stats skyrocket (which is probs why bard costs 5), the last because if you have more than 2 attack you're essentially insta-killing any non-bolster elemental card on your turn. Also, you have more than enough room on Bard to explain the keyword. Also, why do you have so many keywords if only like 4 are used in the 1st set?

Also, very simple naming conventions for your cards. Veeery simple.

Dan55

Is there a reason you called the fourth element Basic instead of Air.  My first thought was one of the elements is missing.

malleck666

Quote from: Cyrus on March 26, 2013, 04:36:30 PM
I hate to be this guy, but it seems a lot like magic. How many differently labelled elemental battle games does the world really need?
I'm not trying to say scrap the project or anything, but I feel like it might be difficult to get new players interested in a game that seems a lot like a game they've already played no matter how their experience with that game went (if they like magic, your game isn't enough like it, if they don't like magic, it's too much like it).
Just my two cents. Structures for defense and ranking up seem like cool ideas though!

I appreciate you being that guy... someone has to be. I see what you are saying but with magic, I found that colours didn't really become a factor within gameplay as much as it should have. Granted, certain colours act as a counter against others in terms of play style, but with Aspects it becomes a part of the strategy due to the bonuses that units receive. Granted, a new CCG is ALWAYS going to find difficulty hooking players, especially from another, well established game like MTG. I completely see where you are coming from and it did stick in my throat to have these huge similarities but at the end of the day, they're formulas that have worked well for a lot of popular CCGs.
I have been quite proud and fond of the structures and rank up system, so thank you!

Quote from: MLaRF on March 26, 2013, 05:44:57 PM
On rulings: is milling out a win condition? is there a max hand size? what's the starting hand size? do we get any mulligans, and if so, how many, and do they carry a penalty like drawing 1 less or allowing your opponent to draw 1 more or whatnot?

On keywords: bolster, rally, and tactician seem like they'd be really broken, the first two because having a lot of minions with them would make their stats skyrocket (which is probs why bard costs 5), the last because if you have more than 2 attack you're essentially insta-killing any non-bolster elemental card on your turn. Also, you have more than enough room on Bard to explain the keyword. Also, why do you have so many keywords if only like 4 are used in the 1st set?

Also, very simple naming conventions for your cards. Veeery simple.

Apologies; the win conditions were in the original document but for some reason were omitted. They have now been added. Thank you for the pointer. The starting hand size was already in the rules (start of 5, draw on first turn). I will amend the rules to outline the maximum hand size, however.

Granted, those keywords do seem overpowered and that is 150% what I thought while creating them. However, during play testing they served but a healthy boost to a minion that was still relatively easy to dispatch and control. The amount of structures that were going down each turn ensured there was enough protection while providing plenty of resources to play a counter. I found that once I did have the upper hand with a bolster advantage, the bard was easily dispatched with effect damage (i.e. Pyromancer), thus removing the bolster effect. It was as simple as building up a row of defense and having effect damage monsters on the back row to safely take out pesky "keyworders". You may find thise holds true during play. I urge you to try it out as soon as you can and give me your feedback.
Yes, you're right, there is plenty of room on the card. I may amend it in future. There are plenty of keywords because I like to give people a taste of what to expect in the future. Especially if they see the list and adopt a favourite, the prospect of minions being released with it would entice excitement. I currently have plans to add plenty more cards to the first set so look out for more keywords.
Naming conventions are simple, yes, but I saw this first set (there are more that have been fully planned) as the set that introduces your basic units, hence the basic names. Look out for some big named minions soon, though...

Quote from: Dan55 on March 26, 2013, 08:41:45 PM
Is there a reason you called the fourth element Basic instead of Air.  My first thought was one of the elements is missing.

Yes, because it's not air that I wanted to include. If you look at the symbol for basic, it is the Greek symbol for unity i.e. with or without the main elements. The three elements have been included to ensure the triangular power mechanic.

Malagar

Well, I like the teaser image - just as i liked the templates of your previous project (it was M CCG right?).

This project sounds much better than your old one - its much faster, simpler, easier to grasp and everything.

Kudos also goes to you, because you stick to your dream, your vision - most people give up too soon.

One more cool point:

* Like the idea of rows and shifting, sounds a bit like magic with zones at first but opens up a lot of options. Somehow your game reminds of "Orions: Legends of Wizards" for the phone. In fact an idea I wanted to turn into CCG myself a good while ago. Do some google, there are also movies on youtube.

Now the critique:

* Checked out your Facebook and your templates. They suck. Try to embed elements from your old template, that one was good (the one used for M CCG).

* As the others said: too much like MTG. Way too much. I know how difficult it is nowadays to invent something new (had a discussion with a friend recently that there are no new CCG concepts anymore because everything has been researched/invented already). But you could at least try to modify the core a bit more (combat, element for example - the rows are already a very good start).

A final hint from me:

How do you compare the mechanics of a good customizable card game from a bad customizable card game?

If you can plug cards into MTG right away: Its a bad start.

If you can't, because cards/rules are too different: Its a good start.

Just my 2 cents

Malagar over and out!

malleck666

Quote from: Malagar on March 27, 2013, 02:34:49 PM
Well, I like the teaser image - just as i liked the templates of your previous project (it was M CCG right?).

This project sounds much better than your old one - its much faster, simpler, easier to grasp and everything.

Kudos also goes to you, because you stick to your dream, your vision - most people give up too soon.

One more cool point:

* Like the idea of rows and shifting, sounds a bit like magic with zones at first but opens up a lot of options. Somehow your game reminds of "Orions: Legends of Wizards" for the phone. In fact an idea I wanted to turn into CCG myself a good while ago. Do some google, there are also movies on youtube.

Now the critique:

* Checked out your Facebook and your templates. They suck. Try to embed elements from your old template, that one was good (the one used for M CCG).

* As the others said: too much like MTG. Way too much. I know how difficult it is nowadays to invent something new (had a discussion with a friend recently that there are no new CCG concepts anymore because everything has been researched/invented already). But you could at least try to modify the core a bit more (combat, element for example - the rows are already a very good start).

A final hint from me:

How do you compare the mechanics of a good customizable card game from a bad customizable card game?

If you can plug cards into MTG right away: Its a bad start.

If you can't, because cards/rules are too different: Its a good start.

Just my 2 cents

Malagar over and out!

Nice to hear from you Malagar. I was wondering when you'd pop up.

Let's get to the nitty gritty.

You're right, it's much much simpler than M and that's something I've prided myself on this time as it is quite easy to go overboard with rules, mechanics and customisation.

I value your compliments but let's not let that blind me from critique....

I understand that the new templates are quite basic and not as fancy pants as the old ones but for this project I am working completely alone and, to be quite honest, I am no good with photoshop; Although I created the templates completely by myself. I do like them however and considering my skills, I am happy with them. I have, however, taken your feedback on board and slight changes will definitely be made in future. That's with the hope that I can create a team of people to work with. (*Hint*).

We have had several play tests already and surprisingly, it plays extremely well (which stunned me; I didn't exactly have huge hopes for the first test) with only minor areas up for consideration. I would definitely like to speak with you more in depth if you do have the time to refine some aspects (HA!) to move it away from Magic.

Regards!

Malagar

Dont look at me, my schedule is full to the brim!  :'(

Moving away from magic? Well change the combat would be a suggestion: Move away from standard Power/Toughness. Either reduce it to one value (like in duelmasters, there is only Power). Or increase to 3 stats (like in the miniature game dreamblade (also from WOTC), using attack, defense and life).

or introduce another stat to your cards like speed or initative that determines strike order.

another idea (that i have seen in a game before) would be: 3 values like physical, mental and intellectual strength. and when you battle, you CHOOSE the stat you like to attack with. your opponent must defend using the appropiate stat himself. it takes a bit balancing, but creates a whole new mechanic paradigmn. just think about it.

EDIT: you could also use the elements in your game as stats. like: I attack using my FIRE stat! just make sure that there are not too many of them. 3 would be a good suggestion.

little changes like these force you to rewrite your rules and terminology and by doing so, you often get many ideas for new abilities and cards.

PS: maybe remove that "basic" type and stick to 3 elements (and give them cooler names).  I think it was Mark Rosewater (from MTG) who said once that Colorless/Neutral cards was the biggest mistake ever done in MTG design. They removed it in any subsequent project (that are: Hecatomb, Duelmasters, Dreamblade, Kaijudo)

I won't flame your ideas, but i cant participate either. All i can do is offer a little heads-up here and provide a little feedback there. Like i try to do with all lackeyCCG forum members.

we are community after all

Malagar over and out!

malleck666

Look out for a revised template and extra rules soon.

malleck666

Quick Update!

Here is a preview of the new template! Let me know what you think!

MLaRF

Quote from: malleck666 on April 01, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

I'd say add the name and cost to the same line (they look like the cost'd be too hard to see at real size). I also don't really like the border of the effect text box, maybe add a border like the one around the image? Yeah. Other than that it's cool, looks way prettier than the previous versions! I especially like the type box on the side. Thumbs up!

Malagar

Ah thats much better than the old one.

1. name is big enough but the background is so-so.
2. cost is a bit small but the grey line underneath is nice.
3. image border is good.
3. Minion/Humanoid is a bit small, maybe center the image and put these keywords below it (esp. when there should be more later)
4. textbox is good and big enough
5. bottom part of the card is also okay (set info etc. could be bigger font size, but that is not a must in my eyes).

hmm, a few tweaks here and there and I think your template is ready.

malleck666

Quote from: MLaRF on April 01, 2013, 07:29:01 PM
Quote from: malleck666 on April 01, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

I'd say add the name and cost to the same line (they look like the cost'd be too hard to see at real size). I also don't really like the border of the effect text box, maybe add a border like the one around the image? Yeah. Other than that it's cool, looks way prettier than the previous versions! I especially like the type box on the side. Thumbs up!

Thank you! I will see what the text box looks like with a similar border. In regards to the cost, the cost can extend to the end of the card (the border underneath) and that's why it was on its own line.... Unless I go back to simply displaying the cost of as a number...

Quote from: Malagar on April 02, 2013, 01:39:18 AM
Ah thats much better than the old one.

1. name is big enough but the background is so-so.
2. cost is a bit small but the grey line underneath is nice.
3. image border is good.
3. Minion/Humanoid is a bit small, maybe center the image and put these keywords below it (esp. when there should be more later)
4. textbox is good and big enough
5. bottom part of the card is also okay (set info etc. could be bigger font size, but that is not a must in my eyes).

hmm, a few tweaks here and there and I think your template is ready.

The class list on the right; I think I'll leave it where it is.... Essentially, there is a list of ribbons that extend the height of the portrait and are shown / hidden when required (similar to the symbols on your Gods and Minions cards). I may change what they look like slightly, though.

Thank you guys for your feedback ! I may add a mockup that shows all the parts of the card that are available to further explain what I mean.